What's new

midrange speaker not working- infinity IL-60 (1 Viewer)

Girish

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
girish
I have a pair of infinity IL-60 front speakers. I noticed that one of the midrange speakers(Bottom one of the three probably 5')is not working. I kept my hand on it and donot feel a thing. The speaker above it, tweeter and the builtin sub are working fine. In fact the smaller spreaker is trying to compensate for the blown speaker. The other speaker works fine. There is no appreciable difference in the sound coming from two speakers though. I bought these speakers used so the warranty is gone.
Is there a way to fix or replace. I am not scared to open it up if somebody can give an advise as what to do.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Contact Infinity, or your nearest Infinity dealer to locate the driver. It should be quite easy to replace yourself.

The other drivers will not try to compensate, they receive their own crossed over frequency range, however you will need to turn it up to make up for the lacking sensitivity from one less driver. If you are not afraid of pulling drivers, the easiest way to find out if it is the x-over or the driver is to pull that driver and hook it directly to signal from your amp (turned down). If it moves fine, you have a bad x-over. If the driver still does not move, it is likely the voice coil is toast on it.

If the x-over is bad, it will likely involve quite a bit more work to replace.

Girish

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
girish
well I opened the back of the speaker and pulled the power suppy panel out. I sequentially disconnected the wires going to all the three speakers(twweter, smaller speaker and midrange). To my surprise all of them owrk however the volume of sound coming from the midrange is less without any distortion or naything. It is definitely less than the right speaker because I can see that one moving in and out.
Am I trying to fix something which is not broken? What could cause the decrease in osund from one speaker?

Greg Bright

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregory Bright
I have a pair of IL60s as well. If the driver works but at a lower volume than the other speaker it could well be the crossover. I once had a pair of Infinity Overture 3s where the tweeter in one speaker suddenly was much softer than the other one. The repair shop stubbornly wouldn't listen to me, replaced the tweeter, then discovered that the problem remained. New crossover fixed everything. Glad it was under warranty. Are you sure the warranty (5 years) wasn't transferable? Good luck.

Greg

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
First, swap the mid-bass driver from one speaker to the other to once and for all verify whether it's the driver or the crossover. Once you've done that, phone Infinity. They tend to be quite generous and it's not at all out of the question for them to simply send you out a new component with few questions asked.

Kris_Smith

Agent
This post is to Greg,

I have a pair of Alpha 50's and 1 of my tweeters is softer than the other too.....

I swapped the R for L speaker and same problem.......So it can't be the speaker.....

I haven't tried changing wires, but that will be next....

Or could it be the "channel"?

Both L & R tweeters work, but I can hear noticable "notes" from 1 channel that I can't hear in the other channel....During "movie music soundtrack" that should play equally out of each R & L channel..

It really "erks" me too...It's very sublte, but it seems to throw off my equilibrium.....

I SPL both tweeters and they read equal.....Nobody else can hear the difference either....

Girish

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
girish
I THINK EVERYONE SHOULD READ THIS
Last night I thought if the sound coming from the 6.5" CMMD is less in one speaker and the 3.5' is trying to compensate it, it does not make sense. Also I sequentially disconnected all three components to make sure none of them is fried.
So today opened the other speaker( the working one). To my surprise the wires were connected wrong. The wire coming from the 6.5" was connected to the midrange and the wire coming from the midrange was connected to the other. Well that explains the "overcompensation" thing too. After connecting the wires correctly the speaker works like a charm. The circuit board is clearly marked for three wire input.
Should'nt Infinity do a better job when assembling what at one point were their "Flagship" speakers"
Damn I am good!!!!!!!!

Kris_Smith

Agent
Yes they should be more careful, but the simple fact is mistakes happen...

They always have and they always will.....

Even if you're a religious man.....The only "perfection" in Life or Death is GOD.....

AND

Even he created a world full of mistakes :)

At least you fixed the problem...

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Since you bought them used, it's impossible to say where or when this mis-wiring occured.

The Interlude line was 2 lines away from the 'flagship' line...2nd from the bottom!

Greg Bright

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregory Bright

While that is technically true, the Interlude line was a much newer design than the Intermezzo and Prelude lines. It incorporated much that was used in those two models. Aside from less sleek styling and no real wood finishes, I would venture to guess that the Interludes sounded very close to their elder brethren, at a fraction of the price.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Current flagships are still the Kappas aren't they? Previous were the Preludes (MTS) and in both cases, they are considerably better sounding and more expensive than the lower lines. While I liked the Interludes (more than the Alphas), they did not come close to the Preludes, IMO.

Girish

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
girish
By Flagship I meant most expensive "Interlude". At an MSRP $2600 a pair(when I listened to them couple of years ago) I don't think they were second from bottom!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks