What's new

Midge Ure: Rewind - Really Swell! (1 Viewer)

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Singer-songwriter-producer Midge Ure has never really caught in the States, but his new R1 DVD, Midge Ure: Rewind - The Greatest Hits Tour (Eagle Vision, $17.98), is really swell. The former frontman for the group Ultravox (who also never really caught on here) and co-founder of Band Aid ("Do They Know It's Christmas?") offers 19 live songs and much more on the DVD.

Folks here will be happy to know that the DVD is presented in anamorphic widescreen (although with lots of intentionally grainy and overexposed footage) and sounds fabulous in Dolby Digital or DTS 5.1 (also DD 2.0).

The live songs are:
Cold, Cold Heart
Call of the Wild
Fade to Grey
Dear God
I See Hope
(You) Move Me
No Regrets
Alone
Breathe
One Small Day
Monster
Beneath a Spielberg Sky
Lament
Vienna
Love's Great Adventure
If I Was
Hymn
The Voice
Dancing With Tears in My Eyes

There's lots of great stuff here, but highlights include mesmerizing renditions of Breathe and Dear God, and an unforgettable performance of the Ultravox hit Vienna--with a special duet guest, British opera tenor Russell Watson, who has done his own cover of the song. The audience is really low in the mix--just enough between songs to remind the viewers it's a concert but not obtrusive otherwise

The DVD has some fine extras, too:
* Filmed acoustic solo performances of No Regrets, Vienna and Dancing With Tears in My Eyes.
* Interviews about 17 of Ure's songs, Ultravox and his demos.
* Music videos for Under a Spielberg Sky and (You) Move Me.

The entire prgram runs about 2 1/2 hours.

Minor quibbles:
* The editing is frantic during the concert footage.
* His lip movement doesn't always match the audio, clearly because of multiple takes to provide coverage for the wild editing. Most of the out-of-sync shots are long.
* No subtitled lyrics. These should be a mandatory feature on any music DVD.

Anyway, I'm sure I'm posting this for, like, two other people, but I just wanted to make sure fans knew this was a worthwhile release. At $17.98 MSRP ($15.99 shipped from DVD Planet), it's a steal.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
What little I have heard of Mr. Ure's work, I've enjoyed and always appreciated Mr. Ure's voice. I will look for this and pick it up at the right price. Thanks for the alert.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
Anyway, I'm sure I'm posting this for, like, two other people,
andrew is one...and i make two. ;)

don't foget he was also the front man for visage - probably why "fade to grey" is included in this setlist.

tbh, not sure if i would pick it up or not, but i've always loved ultravox's work.

Kelly Payne

Agent
I'll just say, make that greater than two.

Thanks for the head's up. Hopefully I can pick up this and Peter Gabriel's Secret World live soon.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Thanks for the info Randy. Love that Ure-era Ultravox and there are some great inclusions from this oeuvre, but where's "Reap the Wild Wind"? That may be my favorite Ultravox song.

Actually, Steve Strange was the "face" (or the visage) for Visage. While he was a founding member, Ure served as guitarist and sang backing vocals. Ure later left the band to put all his energies into Ultravox, replacing vocalist John Foxx.

Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks