What's new

MGM reaaly needs to lose the "Photoshop" mentality... (1 Viewer)

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Just checking upcoming art at The Bits and there's a crapload of wallpaper passing as DVD cover art from MGM on February 4th:
; ; [p]
; ;
Disney's not doing any better with the "Don Knotts Collection" that looks the same as the "Kurt Russell Collection" and the "Haley Mills Collection" and the...(you see where this is going...)
If this isn't another tell-tale sign that DVD has just become product, I don't know what else is.

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
[cheap shot]Yeah, I sure wish they would give these high-quality films the respect they deserve.[/cheap shot]

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
[cheap shot]Yeah, I sure wish they would give these high-quality films the respect they deserve.[/cheap shot]
First of all... nice thread crap.
Second of all... NO ONE makes fun of Charles Bronson (the biggest badass EVER) on my watch. :)
Yes, MGM = worst cover art... EVER. Just check out 'The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai' for proof of this. :)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
No, it's just the continuation of the trend that's been going on at least a decade

Market research (and personal experience) tell that the first thing people ask about a movie is "Who's in it?" SO they create noggin covers to emphasize this.

Down with noggins!

James L White

Supporting Actor
:rolleyes:[non-flaming] geez it's only COVERART, I swear some people complain about the dumbest things,IMO if the a/v is good who cares about the stupid art[/non-flaming]
just MHO about this.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I think that cover-art is important. I'm no J6P, and I like sleek, simple tasteful covers. MGM only seem to put effort into their Special Edition titles - The Fog was great, could have been ghastly.
Just think of the furore if Criterion created covers the MGM-way... :frowning:
Sorry to be a grumpy-ass. :D
Gordy

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
If the original one sheet was good enough for the original marketing campaign, it's good enough for the cover of the DVD. These new covers appear to be desktop publishing job security projects...

Can you imagine tampering with music artwork on classic recordings:

The Beatles' White Album - Re-done in frothy colors with the Fab Four positioned "Scream"-style.

Etc., etc.

My $.02

Felix

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Well if those are the original one-sheets, I retract my suggestion. :D
(Still think they are ugly though... one-sheet or no.) ;)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Mark, can you cite specific covers you're complaining about?

Great Criterion covers:

Armageddon
Hidden Fortress
Red Beard
Traffic
Robocop
Silence of the Lambs

and more!

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Yeah, this happens when cover Art becomes cover Product. It's also a by-product of shrinking product size. Cover art has never been the same since the (almost) death of the 12" LP.

Jan

StevenA

Second Unit
Wow, lost me there. Criterion has some of the butt-ugliest, godawful covers in the business. They really need to hire a designer with some sort of sense or taste.
Criterion cover art divides people. I tend to love their approach, but I do have to say that I think some of their recent efforts have been a little off (although Monterey Pop looks great!)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shronkey234
Recent bookmarks