What's new

Merged Thread: "SUNRISE" restoration, original score, and reviews (1 Viewer)

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Nice...now I just have to pick up another Fox classic
so I can submit my request for Sunrise!

(I saw it on TCM a few months back, and it really is
a breath-takingly moving film.)

Mark

Carrol

Agent
FYI...

I just noticed that my check to Fox cleared on the 7th. Good news, I guess they are making headway with getting the SUNRISE dvd's out.

I have a question for those of you that are getting this dvd.

Have any of you considered getting a second copy? Not to sell, of course, but to have tucked away still sealed?

The reason that I ask is that with something so rare, and with having 3 dogs, I'm always paranoid something may happen to it, so I occasionally will buy a second copy of something.

Anyone planning on that with SUNRISE? If so, how are you going to do it? I think the slip inside the FOX CLASSICS dvd's say something to the affect of only one copy per household. But, I'm sure there are ways around it for us paranoid folk...

Carrol

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
I only hope someone does it so I can get my own Sunrise off ebay. I am a little disappointed it turned out the the offer was R1 only, but I guess I'm not surprised.

Claes Ljunghorn

Stunt Coordinator
Here is another diappointed European! I have not heard any news about it being released in Europe, so I guess Fox does not want us to see it!:frowning:

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Count me in as another disappointed European as well.

Perhaps the fact that the BFI has this information on their website is hopefully good news for the future.

They also mentioned that Sunrise was being shown at the Berlin Festival, then again they would probably wait with the dvd as FOX US does not want any competition at this point in time.

Oscar

Claes Ljunghorn

Stunt Coordinator
Perhaps the fact that the BFI has this information on their website is hopefully good news for the future
I hope so too. On the other hand the article is there because of their involvement with the restoration of the film elements. They also have articles about the restoration of other silent films they have been involved with, like "Napoleon" and "Violettes Impériales" - none of witch have been released on DVD by anyone.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I'm very happy that Sunrise is getting a lot of attention video-wise. I heard rumors that the Timothy Brock score from the laserdisc was dropped in favor of a new Carl Davis score. While I'm a fan of Brock's scores (His Caligari score is fantastic), Davis always pleases with his.

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
I look forward to seeing this when Fox sends it out. I sent for it on 1/14. It will be 4 weeks this week. Perhaps in the next 2 weeks I should be looking for it in the mail :) .

Joel

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
Whoa whoa whoa, hold on there. Please, please tell me the original movietone, Hugo Riesenfeld composed score will be on the DVD. That MUST be the first priority.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Ye Olde Search Function's not working right now, so if someone else answered this somewhere else, forgive me.

I've got the Sunrise DVD, and it includes the "original mono movietone score" as well as a stereo track recorded later. At the risk of sounding like an imbecile, is the "original" score REALLY original - meaning it appeared in 1927 at all showings of the movie - or is it "original" meaning it was the first audio attached to the movie sometime AFTER 1927? I don't know much about silent films, so I wanted to figure out if the DVD's audio is "really" original or not...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks