What's new

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
I watched Jivaro last night. The 3-D is outstanding. Everything from carefully crafted matte shots to the typical gimmick shots of arrows, boulders, shrunken heads, and other objects being thrown at the screen were crafted to show off 3-D. My favorite sequence was when the rope bridge breaks and collapses. The use of space was carefully considered. Objects and actors were placed at the foreground, middle, and background to take advantage of space as much as possible. They even had actors pop into the foreground out of nowhere similar to Charles Bronson's character in House of Wax.

Mike Ballew's description of how the crew on the production adjusted the interaxial on different shots to provide the right balance of parallax was very interesting. It gave the crew more latitude to do closeups without having to use tricks employed for fixed interaxial systems like Natural Vision. This kind of camera work would have come in handy for the 80's 3-D films, which liked to do closeups moreso than films made in the 1950's.

The story combined typical Saturday Matinee Serial action with exotic romance typical of films like Red Dust (1932) which starred Jean Harlow and Clark Gable. The film doesn't break new ground, but is quite entertaining as long as you don't care that's it's been done before. The 3-D gives it that extra spice to make it much more interesting. I believe Paramount would have done well to release it in that format instead of releasing it flat.

A huge round of applause for Bob Furmanek, Greg Kintz, Jack Theakston, and the rest of the 3-D Film Archive for restoring this 3-D film back to life. I'm hoping that other 3-D films that were released flat like The Diamond Wizard (1954), The Command (1954), The Bounty Hunter (1954), and Son of Sinbad (1955) receive the same treatment in the near future.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I watched my copy of Jivaro last night as well.

To say that I was extremely satisfied would be an understatement. When the credits began, which just kept stretching further and further into my living room, I started smiling like a kid in a candy store, and that sense of joy stayed with me throughout the entire film.

First and foremost, it's one of the best looking examples of native 3D photography that I've ever seen. The pop-outs are all great, but even more impressive is the tremendous sense of depth, and the careful layering of objects. The alignment work that the 3-D Film Archive performs is always incredible, and the result is that their titles are always the most physically comfortable for me to enjoy watching out of all of the 3D discs in my collection.

As to the movie itself, I genuinely enjoyed it. Fernando Lamas has the old school Hollywood charm to spare, and the jungle cruise-style adventure was exactly what I was looking for after a long day at work. The movie probably doesn't break any new ground in terms of its storytelling, but it's a thoroughly entertaining adventure. The 3D movies from this era tend to be on the shorter side due to the projection limitations of the time, but that limitation has resulted in films like this one where not one moment of screen time is wasted. The lively pacing keeps the adventure moving along, and I was almost shocked when the Intermission title card appeared halfway through - it didn't seem like that much time had passed.

This is another home run from Bob, Greg, Jack and Thad, and the rest of the team. I have to say, this was instantly one of my favorite releases that they've done.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Fantastic Josh, I was looking forward to your comments and I'm so glad that you enjoyed it!

Very much so!

I need to check this one out again - there were definitely some parts where I got so into how good the stereo photography looked that I let my mind wander away from the plot. I was never lost, and I got my money's worth out of it, but I'm sure that there are some details I missed.

I didn't have a chance to listen to the commentary yet, but the shot-by-shot breakdown was an inspired bonus feature. I noticed that the 3D seemed more effective than a lot of other native productions from the era, and the explanation about inter-axial differences between shots explained why that was.

Have you had any public 3D screenings for this yet? As good as my home projection setup is, I can imagine that this one would really shine on a big screen with an enthusiastic audience.

mcash007

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
This summer? Unfortunately no, other projects have been put ahead of that one in the cue.

But it's coming soon and you had better get ready for some remarkable location filming in the miracle of third-dimension!

That is some very cool news! It amazes me that westerns were the genre with the most 3D films, and we only have one on Bluray 3D. Also can't wait to watch Jivaro this weekend!

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Josh, you’re in for another treat when you have Hillary, Jack, Greg and Mike drop by for their commentary track. It’s our best one yet!

There are currently four western gems in the pipeline and I’ll share a little something that has not been stated publicly anywhere else.

We expect to be doing a test shortly on yet another vintage 3-D western that I never expected we’d get an opportunity to restore. If all goes well, this could be western number five in the cue.

Keep your fingers crossed!

mcash007

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Josh, you’re in for another treat when you have Hillary, Jack, Greg and Mike drop by for their commentary track. It’s our best one yet!

There are currently four western gems in the pipeline and I’ll share a little something that has not been stated publicly anywhere else.

We expect to be doing a test shortly on yet another vintage 3-D western that I never expected we’d get an opportunity to restore. If all goes well, this could be western number five in the cue.

Keep your fingers crossed!

THE HITS KEEP COMING!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm sure! I've met half of those guys in person, hope to meet the other half at some point, and it's always a great group. I'll have to get some ultra thin crust pizza before putting on the commentary :)

Very excited to hear about all of the vintage westerns coming. I know so much more about westerns than I did two or three years ago, and I've seen just about every type of variation within the genre except for most of the 3D ones. I'm excited for the potential opportunity to fix that.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
May we inquire as to what might be next in line?

Todd, I see Bob "liked" your post without answering your question. ;)

Another way of Bob saying......

superman-comment-jpg.50476

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Bob has said repeatedly that he cannot give out advance info. I'm not sure why people keep asking?

He's just gonna keep being a tease. :P

phillyrobt

Second Unit
Real Name
Robt C
There have been 3 things previously announced..Flicker Alley's 3D Rarities 2 featuring the Heart and the Sword,an extended and upgraded version of the Bubble with additional supplemental material and a Nudie Cutie double feature with the Bellboy and the Playgirls/Adam and Six Eves. All Day 1 for me!

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Coming Soon from Kino Lorber and 3-D Film Archive!

The 3-D Nudie Cutie Collection - Three Films Restored in 3-D by 3-D Film Archives

Adam and 6 Eves (1962) released flat theatrically so this release marks the 3-D premiere. The last feature shot in Natural Vision (Bwana Devil, House of Wax, The Charge at Feather River, Gog).
The Bellboy and the Playgirls (1962) with color and 3-D footage directed by 22 year old Francis Ford Coppola.
Love for Sale (1953) lost red/cyan anaglyphic 3-D short never before seen in discrete polarized 3-D.

nudie-cutie-3-d-jpg.56933

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

The 3-D Nudie Cutie Collection - Three Films Restored in 3-D by 3-D Film Archives

Adam and 6 Eves (1962) released flat theatrically so this release marks the 3-D premiere. The last feature shot in Natural Vision (Bwana Devil, House of Wax, The Charge at Feather River, Gog).
The Bellboy and the Playgirls (1962) with color and 3-D footage directed by 22 year old Francis Ford Coppola.
Love for Sale (1953) lost red/cyan anaglyphic 3-D short never before seen in discrete polarized 3-D.

Ah, the classics. I stole that from Spock.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard

Think there will be much Pop Out effect?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks