What's new

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I wish someone could briefly summarize what that was about. I tried, but the thread is hard to find.
I believe Panamint was supposed to have sort of exclusive and Universal canceled it and released their own version sooner than Panamint wanted. But don't quote me on that.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I wish someone could briefly summarize what that was about. I tried, but the thread is hard to find.
I followed the ICFOS threads during the release of the BR and have no memory of a "fiasco." I looked again yesterday and saw no post about a "fiasco" with the title. Most were glowing with one of mine being among the *few* dissenting ones (I have issues with the original audio mix which is represented quite well on the release and would have liked to have had the remixed release from the DVD as an alternate audio track.).
I believe Panamint was supposed to have sort of exclusive and Universal canceled it and released their own version sooner than Panamint wanted. But don't quote me on that.
In rereading the thread I saw one post that seemed to indicate that but it was almost in passing and, IIRC, said *Panamint* cancelled the release. Very little was said and no details were given. I also recall some special bonus feature that was not included on the Universal release that had been planned for the Panamint one. Hardly a "fiasco" in my book although I'm sure if Universal did cancel the exclusivity then there *would* be ill feelings towards them from Panamint.

pinknik

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
I sent a couple of emails to Vinegar Syndrome detailing how they should work with the 3-D Film Archive to get some 3-D schlock on blu-ray. I don’t know if they took my awesome advice, but they did have this to say:

it1724Q_d.jpg

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
After Panamint had a licensing deal with Universal for region B, they found out that Universal was planning a concurrent region A release under their own label. Panamint chose to cancel the release because they felt they couldn’t compete with the Universal release which would have a lower retail price and Panamint was counting on a lot of import sales.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Well, Panamint wouldn't have to worry about that in the case of The Glass Web, because it's pretty clear there will not be a domestic release of that, for reasons previously stated on this board.

That said, I don't know if we can assume that the music-copyright issue with this movie would not be a factor barring or limiting an overseas release. The reality is that Universal would have to license the movie to an overseas distributor. Would Universal not still be liable for the associated music copyright?

Copyright experts please weigh in.... :)

Last edited:

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Music clearances for a UK only release would be much cheaper than an American release.

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joe Bernardi
One more day before Rhonda Fleming is mine in 3D.

I think I started puberty a little early when I saw Little Egypt in a second or third run at a somewhat rundown movie theater where I saw a serial chapter and a double bill every Saturday afternoon. I don't remember what the other movie was and I don't care.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
One more day before Rhonda Fleming is mine in 3D.

I think I started puberty a little early when I saw Little Egypt in a second or third run at a somewhat rundown movie theater where I saw a serial chapter and a double bill every Saturday afternoon. I don't remember what the other movie was and I don't care.

I have Jivaro on the way from Amazon - showing it in 3-D this weekend. As far as Little Egypt goes, I have never seen that one but would like to!! Come on Universal.

s-l1000.jpg

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Wow, totally shocked. My copy of ICFOS, was OUTSTANDING.

The disk is outstanding. The fiasco was when it was announced coming out from a British label including the Nat King Cole 3D short, then Universal quickly announced they were releasing it in the US. The British company canceled their release. It is assumed that the British Company was expecting US sales, which would be help make for a successful release. Unfortunately the Cole 3D short did not make it on the US release.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I have Jivaro on the way from Amazon - showing it in 3-D this weekend. As far as Little Egypt goes, I have never seen that one but would like to!! Come on Universal.

s-l1000.jpg

Oddly, this film was deemed an appropriate release on an 8mm black and white silent digest print (12 minutes) from Castle Films once upon a time.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I'm going to take a real leap here and speculate that we'll be seeing this on 3D Rarities II.

That’s huge leap for it is still owned by Universal and there are some rights issues in the US. That was part of the disappointment when the U.K. release was cancelled.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
That’s huge leap for it is still owned by Universal and there are some rights issues in the US. That was part of the disappointment when the U.K. release was cancelled.

Ahhh, good point. Sounds like the same kind of music issue that bedevils any potential US release of Universal's The Glass Web...

Wouldn't it be nice if we could get a Universal 2-fer via some UK distributor.... ?

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
As far as Little Egypt goes, I have never seen that one but would like to!! Come on Universal.

s-l1000.jpg
Like you, I've never seen this film and would love to, at least once. Stills and publicity shots are often for sale on Ebay.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks