1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

3D Meet Bob Furmanek: HTF Golden Age 3-D Consultant

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Bob
    We're remembering the great Cesar Romero on his birthday: February 15, 1907.

By this fall, you will be seeing his long-lost 3-D feature EL CORAZON Y LA ESPADA on Blu-ray as part of our highly anticipated 3-D RARITIES II collection from Flicker Alley.

We're not joking; this rarity has not seen anywhere in 3-D since a few red/cyan anaglyphic bookings in 1954. The black and white cinematography - utilizing the Howard A. Anderson (Star Trek) stereo camera rig - will knock you out!

[​IMG]

2. Panman40

Panman40 Screenwriter

Martin Campbell
    Still haven’t finished watching 3D Rarities yet but Rarities 2 will be a must purchase!.

3. pinknik

pinknik Stunt Coordinator

Greg
    Shudder is streaming a 3-D movie, just so ya know. It’s a low budget horror film called FOUND FOOTAGE 3-D. It’s about a group making a 3-D found footage horror film who end up being victims in a 3-D found footage horror film. Right? Anyways, if you like low budget horror flicks and 3-D, this might be right up your alley. It’s available in 2-D, anaglyph and side by side 3-D. SBS is how I watched it and, overall, I thought the 3-D was decent too. Just a heads up.

bgart13 likes this.
  4. bgart13

bgart13 Screenwriter

Ben
    Even though the film selections were usually slim and not to my liking, it still ticks me off that Comcast no longer offers 3D as an on-demand option.

pinknik, SFMike and Jimbo64 like this.
  5. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
    Not enough people were watching those titles so they dropped it. Same reason ESPN dropped their 3D channel and others.

6. SFMike

SFMike Second Unit

Michael
    The same with DirecTV. It's all 4K now and on my Sony 75" 4K set the improvement is usually barely perceptible. The upscaling the Sony does is so amazing Blu-ray and 4K are usually imperceptible from a normal viewing distance. 3D is just so much more involving to me and it sucks we have been thrown onto the ash heap of technological history by the corporate boardrooms.

7. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Re: the March 26 release of JIVARO on Blu-ray 3-D from Kino:

Bob gave me and a couple of the regulars a preview of this on his home setup last night and I have to say it's a beauty. As expected, the restoration team did a fine job with the usual problematic elements (fade, etc.) where only the opticals (short cut, thankfully) looked anything less than good. The 3-D photography is phenomenal! While I don't really want to 'place' it in a list, it's easily in the top 10 for me in terms of photographic & technical skill. Nearly every shot is staged for maximum engagement, while at the same time never calling attention other than the obvious off-screen effects (of which there are a good number - the shrunken head is pretty effective). We sampled a few minutes of the commentary, which sounds like an engaging talk. A unique extra presents a shot by shot 3-D breakdown of a lengthy scene with information about the lens used and the interaxial/convergence specs direct from the original camera reports. It's fascinating and I look forward to checking it out in detail as it demonstrates the care that went into shooting these films in the 50's. The film itself is a good jungle adventure/romance. It takes a little while to get going, but livens up once Rhonda Fleming arrives. Lon Chaney's scene is a lot of fun and I was hoping he had more to do. The music score is a bit of a distraction as it's trying too hard.
    Vintage 3-D movie fans should get this without hesitation. Folks who have only seen modern 3-D films need to check this out and see how it *should* be done.

8. SFMike

SFMike Second Unit

Michael
    Just a post to show the reply you get when the theater chain in your area stops offing 3D versions of films released in 3D. They usually have at one or two showings a day at odd times the first week but lately have stopped having any. With 12 screens there is room and when available there are usually people at those showings. Due to no 3D showing of the latest How to Train Your Dragon or Alita:Battle Angel I sent an e-mail to management. This is what I got in return.

Thank you for taking the time to voice your concerns regarding limited 3D performances within our circuit. Like you, I’ve opted to watch the 3D version of a film when available. Unfortunately, most people do not share our views and enthusiasm for 3D films resulting in poor grosses even when we have full set of shows in the past. As a company we know that we cannot please everyone, what we can do is have a few selection for those who may be interested in viewing the film in a different formats. Rest assured, I will forward your concerns to our film buyer for further review and considerations. Again, thank you for your feedback. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
    It, as usual, continues to piss me off that "most people" are always used as an excuse when it regards these showings. They know they can't please everyone and 3D fans it seems are the most expendable. I guess that's how the studios feel about 3D bluray. I seems they think most viewers are clamoring for 4K triple dips that aren't that distinguishable from a good up-conversion on a good 4K monitor. Wish I lived in an area where people complain they can't find a convenient flat screening of a film.

9. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Bob
  10. mcash007

mcash007 Agent

Matt
    Bob, Is there any chance we will see 'The Glass Web' on Bluray? Or will the music rights issue preclude that from happening?
    Also, only a week & half until Jivaro! Can't wait

11. revgen

revgen Screenwriter

Dan
    There's a chance of a Region B 3-D Blu-Ray release since the music rights aren't an issue in Europe.

The trick is finding a Region B publisher who is willing to release it.

phillyrobt and Camps like this.
  12. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Bob
    I wish I knew...

13. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Bob, since I know you are fond of Bud & Lou and would be as likely as anyone else around these parts to know... Have you heard anything about Universal giving any of the boys other films the Bluray treatment?

Gary "I keep thinking we'll hear about a massive A&C boxed set (similar to the DVD one) any time now, but I'm beginning to wonder" O.

14. StephenDH

StephenDH Supporting Actor

Stephen
    How about Panamint? They did OK with Inferno.

revgen and Camps like this.
  15. revgen

revgen Screenwriter

Dan
    After the It Came From Outer Space fiasco, I doubt Panamint wants to work with Universal again anytime soon.

Robin9 likes this.
  16. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    ?? What It Came from Outer Space fiasco? I don't recall hearing anything about that one.

17. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor
    Supporter

Allen
    Oh it was a fiasco!!! Detailed in the It Came From Outer Space thread.

18. Gary16

Gary16 Supporting Actor

Gary
    Wasn’t that “Revenge of the Creature”?

19. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Different fiasco!

20. Camps

Camps Supporting Actor

Tom
    Look, Universal merely needs to review the return$ on their It Came from Outer Space 3D blu and make a determination. If it was a success in every metric -- and I suspect it was -- then they should be comfortable handing the keys to 3DFA to take the Glass Web materials, work their magic, and then to take the resulting 3D master to any distributor 3DFA chooses, without interference (i.e., of the type some dolt at Universal committed at the authoring stage on Revenge).

Any other strategy and Glass Web lies fallow and Universal doesn't make a plug nickel off it.

Malcolm R likes this.