What's new

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Having a 3D LG TV made in January 2017, I can assure you that the brightness on it, or anything else having to do with 2D picture quality, does NOT suffer from the 3D polarizer. The 3D picture itself is nice and bright also, far better than the last 3D theatrical showing I saw.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
15337567_1350835168294043_2189362870534238716_n.jpg

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
It’s not often that you can preserve a 65-year-old movie and have the leading lady attend your restoration premiere. That just happened in New York City with our sold-out showing of SANGAREE at the Film Forum!

From left to right; Jack Theakston, Thad Komorowski, Greg Kintz and Bob Furmanek with the amazing and legendary Arlene Dahl.

We are busier than ever and thank you everyone for your interest and support of our restoration work. We are delighted to announce that we can confirm at least four – and possibly five – vintage 3-D gems for release in 2019.

You can look forward to a busy year on Blu-ray from the 3-D Film Archive!

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Arlene-Dahl-collage.jpg

Last edited:

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
It’s not often you that you can preserve a 65-year-old movie and have the leading lady attend your restoration premiere. That just happened in New York City with our sold-out showing of SANGAREE at the Film Forum!

From left to right; Jack Theakston, Thad Komorowski, Greg Kintz and Bob Furmanek with the amazing and legendary Arlene Dahl.

We are busier than ever and thank you everyone for your interest and support of our restoration work. We are delighted to announce that we can confirm at least four – and possibly five – vintage 3-D gems for release in 2019.

You can look forward to a futuristic year on Blu-ray from the 3-D Film Archive!

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Arlene-Dahl-collage.jpg
WOW!

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
It’s not often that you can preserve a 65-year-old movie and have the leading lady attend your restoration premiere. That just happened in New York City with our sold-out showing of SANGAREE at the Film Forum!

Arlene-Dahl-collage.jpg

Glad the screening went well, wish I'd been there! It must be a wonderful feeling to have a restoration completed while there's still such a vital living connection to that world. And there's nothing like seeing a movie with an appreciative audience.

You can look forward to a futuristic year on Blu-ray from the 3-D Film Archive!

... could this be a clue

mcash007

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt

Wow! Bob! 4 maybe 5? Jivaro is definitely 1, maybe Taza, Son of Cochise & The Glass Web (hopefully). What are they? I'm excited, how about a hint?

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

Wow! Bob! 4 maybe 5? Jivaro is definitely 1, maybe Taza, Son of Cochise & The Glass Web (hopefully). What are they? I'm excited, how about a hint?

1. Jivaro
2. 3-D RARITIES II with EL CORAZON Y LA ESPADA
3. THE BELLBOY AND THE PLAYGIRLS and ADAM AND 6 EVES
4. Roadshow version of THE BUBBLE.
5. DIAMOND WIZARD could be the "Never released in third-dimension" title.

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Bob,
when you restore the Roadshow version of "The Bubble" will you start from scratch or just insert the new material into your earlier restored version?

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Bob,
when you restore the Roadshow version of "The Bubble" will you start from scratch or just insert the new material into your earlier restored version?

Bob mentioned on the other site:

Rest assured, Arch Oboler's THE BUBBLE Roadshow restoration will be much more than just 18 minutes of additional footage.

Among the extras:

New scene to scene color timing by Jack Theakston. (The original release was rushed and the lab/timer in New York that we trusted with the color correction did a terrible job.)

New digital clean-up by Thad Komorowski. (Again, we were rushed on the first release in 2014 to meet a deadline and there was no time - or funds available - for a complete image restoration.)

In addition, there will be some incredible extras including test footage shot by 3-D pioneer - and Space-Vision inventor - Colonel Robert V. Bernier in 1951, unseen anywhere in 68 years!

Plus a few 3-D surprises...

Quatermass II

Second Unit
Real Name
John Hayes

Rest assured, Arch Oboler's THE BUBBLE Roadshow restoration will be much more than just 18 minutes of additional footage.

Among the extras:

New scene to scene color timing by Jack Theakston. (The original release was rushed and the lab/timer in New York that we trusted with the color correction did a terrible job.)

New digital clean-up by Thad Komorowski. (Again, we were rushed on the first release in 2014 to meet a deadline and there was no time - or funds available - for a complete image restoration.)

In addition, there will be some incredible extras including test footage shot by 3-D pioneer - and Space-Vision inventor - Colonel Robert V. Bernier in 1951, unseen anywhere in 68 years!

I was always a fan of The Bubble, and was very impressed with the first restoration, so I'm really looking forward to seeing this. I'm not a techie, but I thought that Bernier's Spacevision was one of the better 3D systems devised, so it seems strange that it was used on so few 3D productions - was there a particular reason for that, Bob?

Jobla

Supporting Actor
Bob,

Is there a "story" behind the fact that the uncut print of THE BUBBLE reportedly surfaced in the late Deborah Walley's personal holdings? Since the uncut version was rarely shown, isn't it somewhat odd that the female lead had an uncut print of it? Is her print in 35mm or 16mm? Due to the rarity, there may not have been 16mm prints struck from the uncut version.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
The uncut Roadshow version was shown theatrically from December 1966 through November 1968.

Harry Guerro at Garagehouse Pictures has her personal 35mm print which was gifted by Arch Oboler when the film was new.

We are restoring the extra 18 minutes (actually, it might be 21 minutes) from the original 35mm camera negative trims which I discovered buried in the Oboler Collection at the Library of Congress in November 2017.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
Very exciting news. I hope that the 2019 release will be in DVD as well as Blu-ray, since the earlier Kino release was Blu-ray only.

I was looking for THE BUBBLE in the late sixties, but it didn't play Seattle then. I think I heard of the film via a brief mention in the pages of either Famous Monsters of Filmland or Castle of Frankenstein.

Seattle finally got the later FANTASTIC INVASION OF PLANET EARTH version in the mid-1970's, but I didn't realized it was a recut of THE BUBBLE and didn't attend. The ads for it made it look like one of those el cheapo Sunn Classic Pictures releases.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
Could be, although the newspaper ad was smaller and in B&W. It didn't state anything like "Formerly known as THE BUBBLE."

I don't recall being aware that the film was being shown in 3-D, either. Guess I didn't read the fine print closely enough. That theater had previously screened THE STEWARDESSES and DOMO ARIGATO, so I should have paid more attention.

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen

Among the extras:

Good to know. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks