What's new

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Us 3D fans are a very small percentage of the population. The people who did not buy a 3D TV because they didn't want to wear 3D glasses are an even smaller percentage. Glasses free TV demo's have been around for many years with none ever produced. The ones I have seen only work at sweet spots. Maybe they are better now. There is a petition with over 20,000 signatures to LG to bring back at least one model with 3D. LG is not interested - "As said, 3D has been removed but that decision was not driven by engineering concerns. It has not affected the pixel layout or brightness in any significant way. 3D is just no longer a big selling point, says LG."

I think it should be not promoted, just a feature on the TV that you can select if you want to use it.

20000 unverified signatures means probably 5000 or less actual people including many who don't have or wouldn't buy 3D and are just being supportive. My guess is that's about 2M short of being able to start a conversation. I would actually be somewhat interested in hearing the technical issues with an aftermarket modder being able to do something. I'm not at all clear where the 3D is added to the hardware.

Is the 3D inside the actual panel itself, some sort of overlay or component outside the actual panel, or is it mostly a software/circuit board issue? The first would seem to be a nonstarter for aftermarket and would even require a significant manufacturing change at LG/Sony plant, the middle would be much easier to restart manufacturing since it adds an additional step, the last seems like it would be too simple to be the case or else somebody would already have done so. Still I am a little shocked that some enterprising company wouldn't have tried do it to appeal to the hole in the market. For years there have been 3rd party Region Free modders, 3rd party multi thousand $$$ refits of audio equipment to add various things including green ink optimized laser pickups, $3000 power supplies, various additional connections which may or may not actually yield real world results.

I guess the Projector option may be so readily available (and relatively inexpensive) to limit the real market for those who demand a 3D option

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
20000 unverified signatures means probably 5000 or less actual people including many who don't have or wouldn't buy 3D and are just being supportive. My guess is that's about 2M short of being able to start a conversation. I would actually be somewhat interested in hearing the technical issues with an aftermarket modder being able to do something. I'm not at all clear where the 3D is added to the hardware.

Is the 3D inside the actual panel itself, some sort of overlay or component outside the actual panel, or is it mostly a software/circuit board issue? The first would seem to be a nonstarter for aftermarket and would even require a significant manufacturing change at LG/Sony plant, the middle would be much easier to restart manufacturing since it adds an additional step, the last seems like it would be too simple to be the case or else somebody would already have done so. Still I am a little shocked that some enterprising company wouldn't have tried do it to appeal to the hole in the market. For years there have been 3rd party Region Free modders, 3rd party multi thousand $$$ refits of audio equipment to add various things including green ink optimized laser pickups, $3000 power supplies, various additional connections which may or may not actually yield real world results.

I guess the Projector option may be so readily available (and relatively inexpensive) to limit the real market for those who demand a 3D option
I’d like to keep the ability to watch 3D without having to also watch everything else in the dark. Often our TV is on as background while one of us reads or plays games on an iPad, or writes messages on their cell phone to HTF. (!).

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Is the 3D inside the actual panel itself, some sort of overlay or component outside the actual panel, or is it mostly a software/circuit board issue?

It depends on how 3D is implemented in the set.

For active displays, I think it's mostly programming, with the screen refreshing the images ultra-fast - there needs to be some kind of emitter to sync the glasses to the screen.

For passive displays, there has to be some kind of polarizing element between the screen and the viewer to allow the glasses to work.

In both cases, this wasn't tremendously expensive, nor technically difficult.

Think of how many discs include surround sound tracks, vs how many people actual listen to movies in surround sound at home. Or how many receivers include the ability to decode Atmos, vs. how many people actual have Atmos setups. It's amazing to me that no one will think twice about including audio formats that are only used by a small minority of home viewers, but the idea of including a video format that will be used by a small minority of home viewers is some kind of heresy.

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
I'm surprised there hasn't been some newer version of the old Field Sequential systems updated for modern TVs myself. A simple box you hooked into the player and TV with active glasses. Gave very good 3D, too. You would think someone would have figured out how to make something along those lines work with new TVs.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Last edited:

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
I wonder if this works and, if so, how well? The broken English isn't promising.

There is a discussion on these on one of the other forums. Problems with flicker - have to view in a darkened room. Doesn't sound like a serious solution.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
There is a discussion on these on one of the other forums. Problems with flicker - have to view in a darkened room. Doesn't sound like a serious solution.
That's too bad. I only have a DLP projector for 3D. It works fine, but has its own image issues in addition to the hassle of me having to set up a screen whenever I want to use it.

Dan_Shane

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan Shane
I have no issues with my 4K Roku "smart" apps/features.

Good for you. Give it a couple of years and see if that holds true. Individual Smart TV apps are supported by the providers, and they are known for ending support after 3 or 4 years. I have two LG units (3 and 4 years old) that no longer pass HDR on Amazon Prime Video because they changed their delivery mechanism and didn't provide a software update for my TVs.

You may be slightly better off since you have Roku built into your set, but most Smart TV owners have learned that an external streaming device is the way to go to experience newer features.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Give it a couple of years and see if that holds true. Individual Smart TV apps are supported by the providers, and they are known for ending support after 3 or 4 years.

Still not an issue. If all the apps I use die via the built in Roku, I have numerous options already at home. Chromecast Utlra, Fire Stick, plus there will always be other plug in options that won't cost much at all that I will be able to buy and use for many years to come I'm sure.

Dan_Shane

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan Shane
Give it a couple of years and see if that holds true. Individual Smart TV apps are supported by the providers, and they are known for ending support after 3 or 4 years.

Still not an issue. If all the apps I use die via the built in Roku, I have numerous options already at home. Chromecast Utlra, Fire Stick, plus there will always be other plug in options that won't cost much at all that I will be able to buy and use for many years to come I'm sure.

The point of the OP was that Smart TVs (the ones that have apps built into the set itself) are completely unnecessary to enjoy streamed content, whereas there are no usable external add-on devices to display 3D. The argument is that one should not be forced to spend "extra" for streaming abilities on a 4K set any more than those who didn't like paying more for a TV with 3D capabilities. (If indeed many people ever did complain about that, which I tend to doubt without any solid figures.)

I have a cheapo LG UHD Blu-ray player with zero streaming features. It doesn't even have WiFi. But the picture is just as gorgeous as any multimedia 4K disc player out there, and I got it for a song. And it *does* play my 3D discs flawlessly since that feature was included in the 4K Blu-ray spec. Why shouldn't I be able to buy a TV like that?

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
A TV like what? One that has 3D? That format is dead as far as TV's go. No future in sight for it to ever return at the moment.

Dan_Shane

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan Shane
Yes, we know. That is what is being discussed. I think you are missing some of the points being made in that regard in earlier posts; you might want to read backwards for a couple of pages.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
My first projector came with a screen but, the picture looked so good on the wall I didn't bother using it.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
My first projector came with a screen but, the picture looked so good on the wall I didn't bother using it.
I refinished the wall (filled and sanded) but I use the wall. I change aspect ratio often and I want the max screen size possible. 120" actual width for scope. I don't get that nice black border but you can't have it all (at least in my price range):3dglasses:

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Following the December New York premiere of our SANGAREE restoration, we were delighted to receive this very gracious thank you note from the beautiful and legendary Arlene Dahl.

You will soon get to see Arlene's dashing husband Fernando Lamas on 3-D Blu-ray once again in JIVARO!

Check out this fascinating article by Hillary Hess for information on the cancelled 3D re-teaming of Arlene and Fernando in CHUBASCO. http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/jivaro

Arlene-Dahl-thank-you-note.jpg

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I refinished the wall (filled and sanded) but I use the wall. I change aspect ratio often and I want the max screen size possible. 120" actual width for scope. I don't get that nice black border but you can't have it all (at least in my price range):3dglasses:

You might want to look into something as simple and inexpensive as some black felt fabric that you can use some thumbtacks to adjust to move the masking - having that border can make a huge difference in perceived contrast.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks