What's new

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
A poster on another site posted these file sizes:

On the new disc:
Revenge has two files: One at 19,142,982 KB. And a second at 10,177,314 KB (which the poster could not open, leads me to believe the two togethe rare a proper MVC encode). The Creature Walks Among Us at 14,771,412 KB.

On the original disc,
Revenge had the SBS file at 15,338,640 KB; the 2D at 15,395,382 KB. The Creature Walks Among Us at 14,771,412 KB.

Quatermass II

Second Unit
Real Name
John Hayes
I'm a bit behind everyone else, I know, but my copies of Sangaree 3D and the Creature box set - with the corrected disc - have finally arrived in my occasional shipment from the USA. Hope to get them on the projector this week. They're both on my monthly Film Club program for the New Year (We had Inferno 3D last month - I make every third or fourth presentation a 3D film - back to 2D this Saturday with John Wayne's The Conqueror - in 'Scope, though, you see it without glasses!). Thanks again to you and the team for taking the enormous time and trouble to restore these films, Bob.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Thank you Matt and happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

JIVARO looks amazing and you’re going to be knocked out!

In addition, the commentary track is our best yet and has some incredible technical details recently discovered by our colleague Mike Ballew about the outstanding stereo cinematography.

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Finally received my corrected disc from Universal from the Creature box set. The corrected disc looks great and a big improvement over the SBS version originally put out. A really big thank you should go out to Universal for doing the right thing the not blowing off 3D user/fans like every other studio is doing now. Is there any particular Universal executive that we could write and thank? As the studios continue unabated in the apparent rush to end 3D presentations and as this cycle of theatrical 3D presentations draws to an end we should all be thankful for this rare example of concern for customer satisfaction so lacking in the 21st century.

In my area we are now down to one 3D showing a day at midday at one theater 25 miles away as all the other multiplexes have stopped most 3D showings altogether. At least I will be able to see Ralph Breaks the Internet in 3D if I can get my butt down the 25 miles at 5:15 next week only, as they will only have a 3D showing the first week of release. Also the refusal to release Mission: Impossible - Fallout, Hotel Transylvania 3, Trolls and others on Blu-ray 3D anywhere in the world is a distressing sign and points to the end of studio support. Even Mary Poppins Returns will not get a conversion and after the great conversion seen on Beauty and the Beast this is very disappointing to me. Anyway I still wish a video disc vendor would take up the reigns of releasing 3D releases to this niche market but it doesn't look likely. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mission-Im...16&sr=1-3&keywords=mission+impossible+fallout

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Finally received my corrected disc from Universal from the Creature box set. The corrected disc looks great and a big improvement over the SBS version originally put out. A really big thank you should go out to Universal for doing the right thing the not blowing off 3D user/fans like every other studio is doing now. Is there any particular Universal executive that we could write and thank? As the studios continue unabated in the apparent rush to end 3D presentations and as this cycle of theatrical 3D presentations draws to an end we should all be thankful for this rare example of concern for customer satisfaction so lacking in the 21st century.

In my area we are now down to one 3D showing a day at midday at one theater 25 miles away as all the other multiplexes have stopped most 3D showings altogether. At least I will be able to see Ralph Breaks the Internet in 3D if I can get my butt down the 25 miles at 5:15 next week only, as they will only have a 3D showing the first week of release. Also the refusal to release Mission: Impossible - Fallout, Hotel Transylvania 3, Trolls and others on Blu-ray 3D anywhere in the world is a distressing sign and points to the end of studio support. Even Mary Poppins Returns will not get a conversion and after the great conversion seen on Beauty and the Beast this is very disappointing to me. Anyway I still wish a video disc vendor would take up the reigns of releasing 3D releases to this niche market but it doesn't look likely.
We need at least one TV manufacturer to make at least one model of TV with 3D capability! Wouldn’t there be enough demand world wide to make it profitable?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
One would think so. There are still quite a few people buying 3D discs and they'll need to replace their displays eventually.

Does the feature really add that much to the price of a set?

Though I love my projector and don't expect to ever need a 3D television.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
One would think so. There are still quite a few people buying 3D discs and they'll need to replace their displays eventually.

Does the feature really add that much to the price of a set?

Though I love my projector and don't expect to ever need a 3D television.
If it cost them $10 to add 3D that would be enough to discontinue it. If I exaggerate, I don’t think I’m off by much. BTW, when 3D was dropped, did the prices drop?

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
I think they dropped 3d because they were chasing brightness (got to advertise those high nits) and the polarizing filter cut back on that. I don’t think cost was the motivator.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
I think they dropped 3d because they were chasing brightness (got to advertise those high nits) and the polarizing filter cut back on that. I don’t think cost was the motivator.
That was the reason given when LG dropped it to compete with competitive HDR models, but I think Samsung et.al. dropped it earlier because of consumer 3-D inefficiency back lash that never allowed consumers to experience director-intended depth for artifact and health reasons.

3D Analog Photography Depth in the Digital Domain

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Don't miss this unique opportunity to see 3-D footage of Nat King Cole from 1953!

https://filmforum.org/film/3-d-rarities

Nat Cole collage.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks