What's new

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
It was released flat in 1954 and If you saw the newly struck 35mm left/right prints of JIVARO in 2006 at the 3-D Film Expo in Hollywood, you may recall how washed-out and yellow it was from fading negatives.

Our restoration of JIVARO is very much a work-in-progress at the moment but here's a little left/right cross-eye sneak peak for you.

As you can see, Jack Theakston and Greg Kintz are working more of their amazing magic to restore some very faded Eastman color elements.

Rhonda Fleming + 3-D + Widescreen + Technicolor = Pure Gold!

04-7m16s05f-OCN-2nd-CCmatch-copy.jpg
Rhonda makes me go cross-eyed!
I can still view these with nonchalant ease. I once used to be able to do the reverse switch too (which you need to be able to do to view the old 19th Century stereo cards without a viewer) but my eyes aren't supple enough to do that so easily any more.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Bob, i have some questions,

sorry if this has been explained already, is it possible to do a conversion from anaglyphic to a proper polarized 3-D?

3-D Features and Shorts: 1966 - 1997

that page does feature so rather "risque" title in the group, has any of the independents ever contacted the Archive about the plausibility releasing one of those? Not necessarily talking about the X rated features but more of the R rated Drive-In movie type releases. Although any of the films released properly would be welcomed.

i do love that tagline on Rottweiler " the first 3D production in the states since 1953"

think maybe that was wrong, LOL

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Thanks for asking, Dana.

Polarized 3-D was first shown publicly in 1936 and we converted several earlier anaglyphic films for our 3-D RARITIES release through Flicker Alley. We are converting a few more for RARITIES II, due on 3-D Blu-ray early in 2019.

No, we have not been contacted by any independents on the 70's/80's films. With our busy workload on the Golden Age titles, I've not pursued any for licensing. I know Harry Guerro was in touch with someone in the Earl Owensby camp but I've not heard any news.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
i do love that tagline on Rottweiler " the first 3D production in the states since 1953"

think maybe that was wrong, LOL

Earl -- exaggerating the truth and stretching the facts, say it ain't so?

Actually he did say just that many times. Can you call him a huckster/con main when he pretty much told you he was lying to you up front -- and in such a lovable way. All part of the charm, though I suspect if the statement is dissected with enough exclusions there is probably a grain a truth there somewhere.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
thank you for the lesson, and i am waiting on the much anticipated releases that you have upcoming, thank you and your team for keeping this specific format alive.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Earl -- exaggerating the truth and stretching the facts, say it ain't so?

Actually he did say just that many times. Can you call him a huckster/con main when he pretty much told you he was lying to you up front -- and in such a lovable way. All part of the charm, though I suspect if the statement is dissected with enough exclusions there is probably a grain a truth there somewhere.

well if you take in account it is a film about a pack of rottweilers terrorizing and area, then maybe he was correct in that statement, don't think another film in that span of time, was filmed in 3D, with that subject matter, or maybe i have just listen to way too many used car salesmen, myself :P

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well he say states, so he could have meant SC/NC, various states of bankruptcy and receivership, or states of Earl's mind.
Knowing Earl salesmanship he'd be able to explain it, sell you a used car, pick your pocket, and convince you your wife was a Movie Star (and you;re not even married) all in the same 15 minute conversation

Actually, if you search for the Owensby Film Thread, I think Worth Keeter still posts there intermittently so maybe he could find a story.

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
SANGAREE looks spectacular -- great work!. But if I had only a 2D version to watch, I would be bored senseless. What's next, JIVARO? Are you already entrenched with that one?

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
Has anyone received the replacement disc by other than FedEx ?

Has everyone that has received this been informed by email in advance ?

Mike Ballew

Second Unit
Real Name
MIKE BALLEW
Add my name to the list of those receiving their replacement disc via FedEx.

I got a text message Tuesday, November 6th, alerting me to a FedEx delivery. They insisted on collecting my signature and on checking my photo I.D., which made it necessary for me to arrange to pick up my parcel at the local FedEx Office location. (I called the number on the back of the delivery slip left on my door and followed the directions to make the arrangement.)

The disc arrived in a generic paper + cellophane sleeve, packed inside a fairly robust shipping envelope, folded over double in such a way as to provide further reinforcement and make the parcel fairly compact.

I only got my hands on the disc last night. I hope to find a chance to watch it (on my projector and again on an HMD device) this weekend.

pinknik

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
3-D Content is recognized! Plays as it should. To my eyes it is softer than The Creature Walks Among Us. Bob would have to tell us if it’s softer than it should be. There is some variation in sharpness in Revenge depending on the shot and that was my impression with the first disc in side by side. Still, even the grain is sharper in Creature Walks.

Mike Ballew

Second Unit
Real Name
MIKE BALLEW
I just prepped my disc for HMD viewing.

I can tell you that the base view for this disc is the right eye. The only other film in my collection with a right-eye base view is GOG. All other 3-D films I have encountered have had a left-eye base view.

I cannot yet comment on picture quality, but I hope to do so soon.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I just prepped my disc for HMD viewing.

I can tell you that the base view for this disc is the right eye. The only other film in my collection with a right-eye base view is GOG. All other 3-D films I have encountered have had a left-eye base view.

I cannot yet comment on picture quality, but I hope to do so soon.
I didn’t know there was such as thing as “base view.” What does that mean?

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I didn’t know there was such as thing as “base view.” What does that mean?
The correct technical jargon would be "primary stream." Generally with MVC coding the left eye is the primary stream and the right eye is the secondary stream. Which leads me to believe if the right eye view is being shown in the 2D version, then the same separate 2D file is still on the disc. When oh when will my replacement copy arrive so that I can confirm this once and for all? :(

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks