What's new

Medical Investigations (1 Viewer)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Because that's just been death for Law & Order. :)

To be honest, I think a large chunk of the audience likes procedural shows like this to fall into a familiar pattern, and I'm not excepting myself. Cold Case practically run on rails, but it was a pretty solid hit last year. It'll be a little harder to keep from feeling repetitive without being able to create a new villain character each week, but that's the challenge.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
I've caught the end of both episodes and have enjoyed them. They do remind me abit of CSI ,but that's ok,lol! I'll go ahead and give it a chance, besides Stargate Atlantis won't be showing any new episodes for awhile.:)

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
According to my TV schedule, the Pilot is going to be re broadcast 8PM to 9PM C.S.T. in case you wanted to check it out.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
The pattern is bugging me. Every week, the most prominent patient in the A case dies, even if no other patients do. Also, I'm pretty sure they're showing NIH doing stuff CDC would do. While none of their cases have turned out to be acutal communicable disease, they thought all of them could be when they were called.

danak

Second Unit

That's exactly right from what I read. According to a Washington Post article from before the series premiere, the CDC folks are a little steamed that NBC is showing this as an NIH project instead of a CDC one. NBC knows it should be the CDC but I thing they thought NIH has better name recognition. That's Hollywood for you.

Dana

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Minor quibbles aside (the NIH/CDC deal, etc) I am enjoying this show. The visual effect for the flashback is pretty amazing, and the story lines, while following a common thread, are fairly engaging.

Chris

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Thsi show has done a great job showing the difficulty of this sort of investigation (or most any investigation, for that matter). The constant false leads and roadblocks and occasional need of very obscure knowledge.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Ok, I'm not familiar with many drama tv shows so what is NIH and CDC?
blush.gif

Missed the last episode.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Those are government organizations. NIH is National Institutes of Health, whose real function is mostly research, as natalie is shown doing as her day job of sorts. The CDC is Centers for Disease control and its their job to identify and contain apparent outbreaks.

I've been surprised by the lack of masks when dealing with what could be airborne communicable disease. In last week's episode about Hanta virus, that easily could have gotten a bunch of them killed. Is this realistic?

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
That's TV shows for you. They can't be wearing masks because they want to be able to show the faces of the main characters probably. I was wondering why they weren't wearing masks in friday's episode.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Has anyone else kept watching this? I really like it. The cast seems to be pulling together, and the stories have been interesting. They finally explained this week why they don't wear masks (high doses of anti-biotics before they deploy).

As far as ratings go, it is holding its own. This Friday was at 5.7, compared to 5.9 for 20/20 and 6.0 for Without A Trace. As far as historically, the ratings are +14.4% over what Boomtown/Law and Order got in the same timeslot last season, a good sign.

Chris

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
quote:Has anyone else kept watching this? I really like it.

I have and I agree with your assessment. I thought that last Friday's episode, especially the subplot about Miles and the local girl, was good.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Yeah, my wife and I look forward to this show on Friday nights. I got scared for a minute though. I though the show got wiped out by a non treatable disease. I was worried because of Law & Order Trial by Jury being on in that time slot the last couple of weeks that it got axed. So I went to NBC's website and saw that they have a new episode next week 03/18. :)

Paul Sandhu

Supporting Actor
I've stopped watching this ever since NUMB3RS came on. I just couldn't get attached to the characters. They just seem stale to me. I like the Brother-Brother thing going on in NUMB3RS. Its something I haven't seen on TV in a while.

Sylvia*ST

Stunt Coordinator
I too like NUMB3RS a great deal, but Medical Investigations has been fascinating from show one. TV Guide just reported that the show is in "trouble" and now I'm going to start recording it. I like the characters and that they don't get too involved in each other's lives--let the story stand on its own! The puzzles and the search for commonality is endlessly fascinating.

I don't know how any show can live or die by ratings when it's on Friday nights, long known as the least-watched night of TV. Each show should be judged by its placement against other shows in its timeslot and nothing else. Of course, MI may be losing its timeslot, but it's a shame. I've been fascinated by this patient zero stuff since "And the Band Played On."

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, certain shows have thrived on Friday nights. My pet example is Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, which was getting hammered Monday night but built itself an audience on Fridays. There's also CSI. Sure, both of those shows got moved to other nights, but that was after they were hits and thus more valuable to the network.

I think this Friday's episode is the season-ender; at least, the title on the Replay seems to indicate that. I won't shed too many tears if it goes, since most of the talent is good enough to wind up in something better. It's a good show, but doesn't have a central figure as interesting as, say, House.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks