1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Media Center: Now Considering as the next step..

Discussion in 'Home Theater PCs' started by Kyrsten Brad, May 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Talking in the Emby forum, my poor understanding is that MPV is adding HDR management, and it's available to some degree in Emby now. I'm really out of my depth here, but there's indication that HDR tone mapping will be available in all the major media servers and players in the coming future.

2. Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad Screenwriter

Brad
    I want to say a big thank you to everyone here for all this great information. I may go the NAS or HTPC route eventually but probably not for a few years (till I hit semi-retirement).

For now I'll be taking DaveF's advice and spend the time and money (this year finally) on the following:

1. Vizio P75, F-1 (2018 model) UHD 4K TV for the main home theater (for my birthday) replacing the current Viz E70, 2013 model (our friend's kids get the old E70).

2. Vizio M55, WMS-1 (Wal Mart Special, 2017 model) UHD 4K TV for the bedroom. The current Viz M50 (2015 model, 4K, no HDR10 or DV) moves to the den.

3. Vizio 5.1 Sound Bar system for the bedroom TV (no AVR setup there, going with the poor mans home theater setup on that).

4. Sony UBP-X700 UHD Blu-ray player, maybe two (all region free). Yes I was going to get the Oppo but Oppo's decision to "close up shop" changed my mind.

5. Last but not least by a long shot, a 14-day Carnival Southern Caribbean cruise for the Wife. Come December, I'll be walking the plank...err...walking up gangplank of the Carnival Miracle (my wallet will be the one walking the plank).

6. A new IKEA or other bookcase to increase DVD/Blu-ray storage.

DaveF likes this.
  3. John Dirk

John Dirk Screenwriter
    Supporter

JOHN
    You have a "Den?" Are you Mike Brady? :) Jokes aside, sounds like a great plan and enjoy that cruise!

4. Kyrsten Brad

Brad
    Well tonight I started ripping my first Blu-ray (Father Goose (1964)) on the laptop using MakeMKV and Handbrake. As Ringo Starr might have put it, "Oh My My".
    The first part, actual ripping of the Blu-ray went quite nicely, only about 20 minutes to do the rip and create the MKV file (34 GB).
    However when I got to the second step, file reduction using Handbrake, oh gee gun williguns golly gee.....four hours processing time on my oldest laptop (HP dv6100, i5 processor, 6GB main memory). On the stop-down process, I chose the Apple iPhone MP4 compatible, 720p setting. Its till running now (with about an hour to go) as that would be good enough for watching on a iPhone screen.
    Oh and once its done, I'll copy the resulting MP4 over to a 128GB EasyFlash drive (with both USB and Lightning connectors) to play it on the iPhone. I'll update this once I get it done.

I'm beginning to understand the time investment in the conversion process. Imagine this over 500 blu-rays.

5. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Don’t transcode. You’re throwing away quality and wasting time. Hard drive space is comparatively cheap.

Also, on a current intel i5 system using QSV that transcode takes <30 min. So you’re using a old and slow laptop inappropriate for the task.

Dave Upton likes this.
  6. Dave Upton

Dave Upton Audiophile
    Owner

Dave Upton
    What Dave said is the key - I don't bother transcoding/shrinking. Even if you don't have a NAS, adding another 4TB external drive only costs $100 - so it's not worth giving up quality.

Kyrsten Brad likes this.
  7. Kyrsten Brad

Brad
    Thanks for the feedback. My only reason for transcoding is to be able to fit more movies on a iPhone compatible flash drive (128GB) so I can watch them on my iPhone where top-notch quality isn't necessary. Of course I'll retain the original MKV file. And I'll be buying one or two of those 4-6 TB external drives.

I'll give the transcoding process another try on a newer laptop at home (my 17" HP, I5, 16GB RAM). Or I'll soon should have my wife's new one I'm getting her which will be i7 based. Any recommendations on how much RAM I should have (minimum)?

Eventually I'll get the NAS but not for some time now. But I can get started ripping my Blus & DVDs.

8. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    RAM doesn’t seem very important. I’ve got 8GB on my i5. What’s more important is to have either intel’s integrated graphics (to use Handbrake’s QSV option) or have a GPU. Transcoding with QSV gives me frame rates upward of 400 FPS, for 5x to 10x real-time speed.

9. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    It’s also smart to use Handbrakes queue feature: setup 10 movies and transcode the batch overnight.