What's new

Measured spl's with Toy Story 2 (1 Viewer)

Greg Br

Second Unit
Alright I finally got ahold of the famed Toy Sory 2 to check the intro as a bess demo. I calibrated again just to be safe and set up for spl measurment at reference volume.

Equiptment is SVS dual 20-39cs with "isd", Samson S-700 boosted(as needed) by a RS SA-155, Toshiba DVD Player and Yamaha RXV-1000

During the initial intro where there are some names introduced I hit a high of 114 db's, I let the scene run for a few more minutes and was hitting on average around 104db's on peaks. Never sounded like I was close to bottoming these subs.

For a comparison I threw in Atlantis The Lost Empire, Chapter 5 Layer of Leviathan(DD edition, not DTS). I again hit a peak of 114db's in the beginning of the scene but I would say the average spl's for the rest of the peaks were 110db's in a scene that last about a minute and a half. I am not sure how the waterfall looks on this scene(although TV said he would take a look at it)but it sure sounds the sweetest on my Subs.

Again I can push these subs harder, there is more headroom. I have yet to hear anything close to a clack. Has anyone measured Toy Story 2 for a comparison? How much should I push the subs, keep going or is that pressing my luck?

Greg

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
That is pretty loud to be listening to movies.
I can barely listen to 116db, I wonder why you would want to go any higher... hehe, bragging rights :)
Good luck, instead of saying "break a leg", Ill say "blow a speaker". hehe

Ned

Supporting Actor
It's not *that* loud considering much of the SPL is coming from the sub portion. Turn the Samson off and the SPL will probably drop from 114 to like 100-105.

Greg Br

Second Unit
These were just tests I usually listen 7db's below reference with a sub +5 hot so I am close to refernce on the base.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Toy Story 2 had some wicked transients although I have not measured them yet. If you have Titan AE, that would be a good test too.

Greg Br

Second Unit
Titan AE will be next week as my buddy has the DVD.

High spl at reference measured for me was the old THX Intro to T2, which I believe is recorded a little hot, that hit a 117db peak.

I might to the Arizona in Pearl Harbor, I love that one as the bass seems to keep extending low for like 5 seconds, not the normal boom of a typical explosion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks