Here's what a single SVS 20-39CSi can do

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Ned, Oct 27, 2003.

1. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

After finishing some adjustments to my crt projector, I popped in Toy Story 2. Cranked the volume up near reference and measured 110db, C-weighted, fast response at my chair during the opening logo.

[​IMG]

Courtesy of the SVS site. The waterfall shows full amplitude in the LFE from ~27-60hz with strong response down below 20hz. 110db measured on the Rat Shack meter is about 115db actual due to the meter's inaccuracy down low.

So that's approximately reference level bass from a single 20-39CSi run off one channel of the Samson (350 watts). I also use the ART351 eq to smooth out the room modes between 40-63hz. When I removed those corrections the meter spiked at 113db (about 118db!), but that made that portion of the audio overpower the deep stuff, so overall it sounds much better corrected.

My room is a fairly compact 10x12.5x8 with a single closed door, 1 window, and a double closet (so more like 10x15x8). Floors are joist construction so they resonate a fair bit.

The ART is also set to filter under 20hz so that eases the strain on the SVS a tad (12db/octave slope). The SVS is pretty clean up to these SPL's measured but I could hear some raggedness when I went up another few db.

That's a good indication of what the now "entry-level" SVS is capable of in a small room.

2. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Good post Ned. I bet you have that room all to yourself?

3. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Nice post Ned - SVS is sub-sonically impressive!!! [​IMG]