What's new

May go Solar (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
So we are thinking of installing solar on our roof. I found this site bestcompany dot com that had a ranking of solar companies in Arkansas. Anyone know about hint about bestcompany dot com? Can I believe their rankings?

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Welcome to the club...or at least thinking about joining.

About a year ago, my wife and I were in Home Depot, and talked with a rep from a company called Sunrun. We expressed interest, and ended up talking deets with a salesman. Things progressed slowly but surely (I think most of their efforts were dealing with the Municipal Forces of Darkness), and we went live with solar in February. Haven't regretted it.

We haven't bought our system outright. Sunrun came in, installed everything, got all of the sign-offs done. We paid no fees for any of this. If we decide at any point to back out, they'll come and deinstall everything.

They based our monthly bill on our electrical usage from our regular provider for the previous year, and it was averaged out, so we have a consistent monthly bill, and are locked into this rate. So far, we've been sending enough juice into the grid that we're building a credit with our regular provider that more than covers our Sunrun bill. Of course, we're in the middle of a very sunny summer. We'll see what happens when winter comes.

We're hoping at some point to be able to get a battery bank as backup storage, but supply chain issues are delaying that.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Not specifically that site, but a recent (ish) thread -- https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/solar-power-for-the-home.359350/#post-4662418

I might have a conversation with the local Power Company since so many of the the Solar companies are hooked into the power grid itself. That's assuming you aren't looking to go into some sort of off-the-grid 1 home project with big battery backups. I'm a bit suspicious over internet Ranking Sites since so many of them are quite opaque in how they come up with the rankings, what 'incentives' are being supplied by the ranked companies, and sometimes a Company sets up its own site basically as an informercial

If you know anybody in construction or the local general building contractors I usually find many of them know the local sources better. My current roof may have another decade, but I'd considered combining a metal roof with solar panels (2 birds with one given expense) as an alternative to Elon Musk style roof panels. The non-Musk style seems to have many advantages both in cost and availabilty

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
We're hoping at some point to be able to get a battery bank as backup storage, but supply chain issues are delaying that.
There could also be a supply chain issue with the cash in your wallet. Those battery walls are expensive.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I like the idea of this but it doesn’t make sense for us in our current situation. Looking to retire in the next two years and move out of Maryland to a place more retiree friendly. Perhaps in our retirement nest.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Best all around site (that I found or friends found) for solar information and getting quotes on solar installs.

Never heard of the best-co site. No idea if they’re any good.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I like the idea of this but it doesn’t make sense for us in our current situation. Looking to retire in the next two years and move out of Maryland to a place more retiree friendly. Perhaps in our retirement nest.
Bummer but let me know if you downsize your toolbox :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks