What's new

Max Payne (1 Viewer)

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Does the whole slow mo thing not quickly become tiresome?
If the game was much longer (and it isn't very long) it could become tiresome. As it is bullet time is pretty cool. There's really nothing like diving into a room full of enemies with the ability to take everyone out before getting hit. This game does one thing better than any I've ever played: It really makes you feel as if you're the "star" -there is no question who the ass kicker is in this title.

Ivan Berisic

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Pentium II 333 Mhz, 128 MB RAM and Voodoo 3. Will I be able to play this game?
------------------

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Sorry Ivan, you will need at least a 450 MHz processor and I also believe it has to be a Pentium III.
-Dean-

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Good grief! I finally got the game this evening and have been playing it for four hours straight, I've only got myself up to level five of Chapter one, and have already got myself into a sticky spot there as I came off from the previous level with bad health and no health boosters (the shootout after crashing through the roof on level 4 near killed me).
I'm loving this game! I love it's energy and it's style. I had no idea the bullet time effect was something you controled too, I thought the game did it every time a shot was fired. I love it, I can right click the mouse and blast away Hong Kong style.
Runs really smooth on my set up, I could not be more thrilled. I love the attention to detail in this, has anyone blown the crap out of the alarm in the bank vault? Doing so yeilds a neat "thank you" from Max.
Dan (UK)

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Dan,
Wait until you get to the dream sequence that is coming up, it is very creepy.
I think I am getting close to the end of the game and I will be starting it again when I am finished. I can't think of a game that has this much "style" and a decent amount of "substance".
One of my favorite levels....... the underground lab.
-Dean-

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
That dream sequence level was neat but argh, the bloody maze that you start in. I just followed the screams... I dont know what was more frustrating though, navigating that or getting the hell out of the fire in the restaurant later on.
Right now I am on Chapter 2, on the Mansion level, and I'm still loving every minute of it. I love how the slow mo thing is more then a neat visual trick, I'm impressed how it can be used to attain accuracy in one's shots.
"say the password!"
"oh c'mon!"
"say it!"
"alright alright. John!"
"John what?"
"agh, John Woo. Let me in already"
Loved that bit! The BEST bit so far for me is the Pulp Fiction spoof. Unsure if anyone noticed it, but you walk in to the room and you hear the fella whistling from the toilet, the gun is over on the kitchen counter, you grab it, and blam.
Dan (UK)

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Ok, I am stuck on the rooftop level where whats her name is about to take off in the helicopter. You cant open those gates right? I managed to shoot the last cable apart by firing through a gap in the gates, the cable breaks away yet she still escapes and shoots me to shreds.
Do you have to time it right or something? How?
Dan (UK)

NickC

Second Unit
I am running this game with a
P2 400 Mhz
246 MB RAM
Voodoo 2 Card
Soundblaster Live Card
While the game isn't the smoothest thing ever on my setup, I have been able to play it and have success, I am about 75% through the game.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Done with it now, that was short and sweet, but it has a replay value just to go back and blast things for the fun of it. Definately time to show it off to the friends.
Dan (UK)

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Well, I bought and installed it yesterday, and couldn't put it down for like 7 hours! I'm into Chapter 2, and I've just hit my first complaint. I now call for an outright ban on shooting games basing levels in New York Docks. I hit play fatigue here, where its started to get a touch samey, just at the point where it looks like the New York Docks level on Soldier Of Fortune, where I gave up on that game.
Favorite bit so far? The opening of Chapter 2, where all of a sudden you're stuck without weapons. Whacking a guy from behind to steal his Desert Eagle then proceeding to take out everyone else as more and more guys are attracted by the noise was intense! Getting enemies to grenade each other out of existence is pretty good fun as well
biggrin.gif

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
I'm running this game on an AMD 350 Mhz K6-2 processor w/ 320 megs of ram, and Voodo 3 3000. Just for someone's reference.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I finished the game a few ays ago. That drug induced dream at the end of chapter 1 GAVE ME SHIVERS!! I guess it idn't help that it was around 2:a.m when I got there....no lights on
Brent L
It is quite short though, and although I've never made my levels this may just happen with this game.
I just WISH I had a faster connection so I could download the 40.6 meg texture pack.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I just finished it too. It's bullet-time feature is great but it needs something more imo. Just maybe more useful moves you can do in slo-mo rather than the ol' jump sideways or forwards to drop move. Probably let him roll on the ground or flip in the air while shooting, just anything to give it a more John Woo feel.
And just for reference it runs great in 1024x768x32 on my setup:
p3 800eb
384mb ram
gf2 gts 32mb
Ran with great framerates in Win98 compared to 2k
brentl- What is that texture pack you mentioned? Would it just make prettier graphics?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks