What's new

Match Game on DVD (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i would have liked if the eps were in order too.

i dont have a problem with the kirstie aley ep.
most people havent seen that before.
was the BILL belichik(sp) ep also on this set.

what did you mean by duplicate?

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Duplicate meaning when the video facility people transfer these shows from the videotape masters onto the DVDs. The disc copies are duplicates.

Who is Tom Belichek?

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley

Hey, hey, hey-- Let's see how good you look at age 82! Brett Somers was never any raving beauty and she knew it. She looks a sight better than most of the 82 year old bags running around on shopping day. She was never pretty, but she always looked good--if you know the difference--at any age. And keep in mind that the lady's greatest fame didn't begin until her early 50s, an age when most actresses can't get a job on an infomercial. And most importantly she's kept her faculties, CLEARLY, by evidence of her lively and quick witted anecdotes on the documentaries. She simply doesn't talk or sound like an old lady...she sounds as sharp and as smart as she ever did. Most people at that age are entering the "doddering years" in terms of their speech patterns--not Brett.

The Robert Pine episodes aren't on the disc to anatagonize MG fans--they're there because Kirstie Alley was there. Although why we had to see all 3 of Kirstie's episode is unknown to me, seeing as how her appearance was just a curiosity. She also is a bit snappish towards the game and has a hangtooth.

Also, on the back of the dvd box it says that Gary Burghoff, Mama Cass and Dear Abby are supposed to be in the set, but I can't find their episodes. I thought the guy who designed the box art had posted on this thread earlier. So...was it your mistake or did they change the episodes at the last minute?

I forgot how weird that bicentennial set really was. Whenever they cut to Brett Somers, it looks like she's sitting in front of a Confederate Flag! And there's several episodes on the set where the stars look either bored, pissed or drunk. I don't dare ask why, but...why?

I retract something I posted earlier about the interstitials not being on the set: they are. All of those "if you would like tickets to Match Game" promos are there, including all those very weird video tricks of scrambling peoples' faces. Also of Johnny Olson's commercial announcements are still there too. It's funny to see all those products that no longer exist...!

Well overall this was a very good set. Video quality is superb. I loved the celebrity walk-out when a member of the audience came up with a better answer than any of them. And I loved the outrage when Richard Dawson and Debralee Scott disagreed with the judges, followed by a sit-in by Charles. Weird, weird, weird, and so much more entertaining than any of the stale game shows of today. Today, the game itself is always the star, not the people. With Match Game, and to a greater degree Hollywood Squares, nobody gave a shit about the stupid game--they just came to see the stars jabbing each other and screwing around. These were the first irreverent shows in daytime, although game shows have swung full circle and now are anything but irreverent. I believe that most of today's "stars" are too timid to let themselves be that vulnerable on tv, and anyway would have an entourage of publisists and agents handing them the answers under the table.

All in all, I hope it sells sufficiently for a sequel. I think this is the first major classic game show release (other than "You Bet Your Life.") I'm sure they're looking at the sales figures very closely, 'cause it's a sure bet somebody up there wants to release a Hollywood Squares set yet. And hopefully someone will fondly recall Bob Barker's "Truth or Consequences" as well--that show was always good for a laugh.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Ok, I have watched the entire set. I loved seeing the old ticket plugs, the commercial bumpers, everything. This is how GSN should be showing this series, but they don't. Oh well.

The special features were cool, but like everyone else has mentioned I wish that they had talked to Fanny, Betty and a few others. While Brett is my favorite and always will be, I think that we should have heard from a few of the others.

To answer a question that someone aksed about the episode where the sound isn't in sync with the picture. The same episode when shown on GSN does the same thing. I think it's a problem with the master tape or the duplicate tape that the episode is mastered from. I'm not sure why this can't be fixed properly but this isn't the only episoede in the sereis that does this. There is one from 74 (this episode is not on the DVD set) that does it as well.

I really had only one complaint about the set overall. Well, two. First of all, we really didn't need all three of the Kirsty Alley episodes. Secondly, since I've seen all of these episodes before (a few of them several, several times), I found myself getting slightly bored at times.

Overall, I give the set a good solid 9 out of 10. I would very much be interested in buying a couple more volumes if they were released.

Chris Minogue

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone else had trouble playing disc 4 of their set? It pixelates and freezes on every DVD player I have tried it on.

Nick=Ma

Stunt Coordinator

Mine doesn't, but alot of people on the GSN message board has mentioned the same problem you are having. Did you buy your DVD recently? Most of the people that got their DVD's when they came out didn't have any problems, but those who got theirs later on are.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Nope, these are DVD-9s.

And I did have the problems with pixelization and the sync issue on 1 episode (where part of the video is missing but the audio just goes on without anything missing).

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Anyone else having trouble with their Match Game DVDs?

I started watching again for the first time since I originally watched it and it's almost as if the discs are deteriorating. I keep my discs in mint shape.

Episodes freeze, pixelate, lock up. On 3 discs so far. :frowning: Cheap-o discs I assume.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Well, I spent the past few weeks viewing everything on this set (after it had been sitting on my shelf for over a year), and I had no playback problems at all.

And thanks for giving me a push to finally watch these DVDs. I'd forgotten just how much fun this series was.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks