What's new

Match Game on DVD (1 Viewer)

Jim*F

Stunt Coordinator
Wow! I'm definitely buying this!

And I agree with FrancisP that it would be wonderful if this is just the first set of classic game shows on DVD!

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

David, where did you see that mentioned? I couldn't find it mentioned either on the TVShows on DVD site, nor the Amazon listing.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Does anyone know if these are episoes from both the daytime and primetime versions ? I'm guessing yes since I think Kirstie was on the PM version.

I'm thrilled to see classic game shows coming out like this. Perhaps if this does well they will release future box sets of more select episodes.

imadkhuri

Grip
Real Name
Imad Khuri
Kirstie Alley was on the daily syndicated version (1979-1982), which was just called "Match Game".

Imad

Jeff#

Screenwriter
She was only on Match Game for one week, and just a few years before she even got into acting.

I remember Kirstie Alley went on Password Plus in 1980, and when Allen Ludden asked what she did she said she was in college and studying fashion design. I'm not a fan of hers, but I thought that was interesting to see her years before Cheers.

As for the older, New York-based "The Match Game" (only the original had "The" in the name), back in the 1980s I used to collect old TV GUIDEs from the past. One of them was from 1962, and Match Game was listed as being in color even then. What's surprising is that NBC deleted most of those old tapes. Only 11 shows survive (I've seen one or two of them -- very different format from the 1970s Match Game), and those are crappy-looking B & W kinescopes. CBS did the same thing with "What's My Line", which like Password and To Tell the Truth was shot on black & white (and later color) videotape. Most Password tapes were preserved at least. With To Tell the Truth though, the original B & W tapes from the daytime version are intact because Game Show Network played those for a while. It's the prime time edition from that same time period that are kinescopes.

The second, more famous version of Match Game was originally on CBS on weekday mornings from 1973 to early 1979, and moved to syndicated daytime that fall. "Match Game PM" started in 1975, and was always syndicated. Both went to 1982.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Livefeed can't transform a black & white kinescope back into its original color videotaped form, so don't expect that process to be used here.

David Levine

Supporting Actor
30 Episodes. Ranging from 1973 to 1982 with most falling in the 70s. Starts off with the 1973 pilot with Richard Dawson, Anita Gillette, Jack Klugman, Michael Landon, Vicki Lawrence and Jo Ann Pflug.

Features include:

- Best Moments of Match Game - hosted by Brett Somers
- A Tribute to Gene Rayburn
- Photo Galley
- Exclusive interview with Brett Somers
- Original 1962 Pilot of "The Match Game"

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Who cares if its not color? The goal is to recreate the original look of being captured on an electric camera which those kines sadly lack.

JeffWld

Stunt Coordinator

That has nothing to do with it. Livefeed would still produce a more authentic product in this situation.

Jeff-Wooten

Stunt Coordinator
Of all the tv shows being released on dvd between now and the end of the year, this title is probably the biggest surprise--and I've never been more happy to be surprised!!! "The Price is Right" aside, this version of "Match Game" is probably my favorite game show of all time. I fondly remember pretending to be sick so I could stay home from school and watch "TPIR", "Match Game," and "Tattle Tales." If fact, the day this set is released, I think I'll make a fake-sick call into work. However, I have to admit I wasn't as big a fan of the the star wheel. (I always worried if I was a contest on the show, it would land on Patty Deutsch and I'd win bupkis.)

Brett Somers hosting a "Best Of" featurette will probably feature the "My, you have nice nipples" blooper, but I hope the set contains this full episode since I've never seen it in its entirety. (My other favorite gaffe is the ep where the grandmotherly contestant tells Gene: "My name is Mary so-and-so, I live in Encino, and I'm retarded, oops, I mean retired.")

I cannot recall, but wasn't Match Game the series they would shoot some shows in the afternoon, break for a cocktail hour (to get the panelists good and liquored up), and then film again that evening, which led to some rowdier-than-usual behavior?

David Levine

Supporting Actor

They'd be drinking during the show at times.

And smoking. 1 of the episodes has Richard making some kind of weird cigarette holder.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I don't have a problem with black & white, if a show is produced in black & white. I was merely pointing out that The Match Game on NBC from 1962 to 1969 was always broadcast in color. However, since this is the only surviving copy I'll make an exception. ;) I'm buying this set for the rest of the series anyway. The old Match Game show from the 60s is just an added bonus.

It will be interesting to see how this new Livefeed process works, as it's already been used on another upcoming release: five 1956 and 57 episodes of The Ed Sullivan Show featuring Elvis Presley.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
OK on this release, but I'd prefer a release of one of the longest-running (and greatest!) game shows ever: What's My Line?- a show which shouldbe revived!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks