What's new

Masters HD uneven quality.... (1 Viewer)

Joe McCabe

Second Unit
Did anyone else notice how inconsistant the HD feed is at The Masters??

One shot will look great, and the next will look a little less sharp, and a third will look downright awful, with blurred imagery and "squashed" people.

I'm not a golf fan, so I'm not really upset or anything, but I just thought I'd mention it.

Paul Jenkins

Supporting Actor
That is due to the number (or lack thereof) of HD cameras. They had to use non-HD cameras and upconvert/mix the feeds in order to cover the entire day/course...

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Paul is correct -- many of the shots were stretched from the standard analog broadcast, due to the limited number of HD cameras available for the broadcast.

The part of the production that I disliked most was the different announcing team. CBS used three announcers from a central location to provide commentary on all holes. This made the broadcast feel too isolated, as the sound of the roaring crowds was missing from most of the broadcast. The crowd cheers are a big part of The Masters. Also, I found the HD announcing team itself very substandard.

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
Whew!!! I thought I was the only one that noticed or that something was wrong with my set. I didn't get to see Rounds 1 & 2 but I caught Round 3 on Saturday. I was not impressed. So much so that on Sunday, I just watched on my regular big screen TV.

Also, (maybe this was just my imagination) but didn't the broadcast seem very ..........misdirected? (for lack of a better word). I mean like, the shots they were showing were not the shots I wanted to see. For example, Round 3, in the first 60 minutes, I think I saw the leader take 2 shots, I didn't see Tiger tee off at all and lots of other stuff like that. Like I said, I was so unimpressed that on Sunday I just watched the regular broadcast.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Also, (maybe this was just my imagination) but didn't the broadcast seem very ..........misdirected? (for lack of a better word). I mean like, the shots they were showing were not the shots I wanted to see.
I had that same feeling, Howard. On Saturday, I set up a 13-inch TV next to the HDTV so I could watch both broadcasts. The analog coverage seemed more timely, showing the leaders more often. I planned on doing the same thing on Sunday so I could watch the front 9, but ended up playing golf instead and only got home in time to see the leaders starting the back 9.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks