What's new

Mary Poppins Returns (2018) (1 Viewer)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
A film that offers positive messages, of hope, of connection, IS very important right now. Not sure why that has to be controversial you miserable sods :)
With "Returns" being the operative word within its title.
Or, as the song goes:
"What the world needs now is love, sweet love;
it's the only thing that there's just too little of..."
Indeed, my only criticisms towards the earlier news of "Mary Poppins Returns" were fears of it not working as a film;
after all, I've had over a half a century of an allegiance to one single version.
And my keeper-of-the-gate view began with a protective watchfulness;
no different than those UK theatergoers who sit in the front rows with a copy of the Bard's text,
making certain that the newest Shakespearean of actors doth adhere to those very traditions, as set forth by their predecessors.
Ah, but when all is working; as I do hope that this film does; then the magic begins...all over again.
No doubts here, Neil, we could all use those "returns" of something magical and inspired. Very much so.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
a2a96faf24c8b0c5b753346d50c47ec044a301c942ab99b574556fbcd3aa4e85.jpg

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
With "Returns" being the operative word within its title.
Or, as the song goes:
"What the world needs now is love, sweet love;
it's the only thing that there's just too little of..."
Indeed, my only criticisms towards the earlier news of "Mary Poppins Returns" were fears of it not working as a film;
after all, I've had over a half a century of an allegiance to one single version.
And my keeper-of-the-gate view began with a protective watchfulness;
no different than those UK theatergoers who sit in the front rows with a copy of the Bard's text,
making certain that the newest Shakespearean of actors doth adhere to those very traditions, as set forth by their predecessors.
Ah, but when all is working; as I do hope that this film does; then the magic begins...all over again.
No doubts here, Neil, we could all use those "returns" of something magical and inspired. Very much so.
But it’s not supposed to be a re-do, but a continuation of the story. I believe there were 5 books, each linked to the last. Disney wanted a sequel, the author hated the original movie and would not allow it.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
But it’s not supposed to be a re-do, but a continuation of the story. I believe there were 5 books, each linked to the last. Disney wanted a sequel, the author hated the original movie and would not allow it.
I am clear that "Mary Poppins Returns" is a continuation; if for no other reason, but by its title, alone. Still, be it Shakespeare or Travers or fans of the original 1964 film, all have their keepers-of-the-gates. Anyway, I am looking forward to this film; as my far earlier fears have now been assuaged.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Even though this is a sequel and not a remake, my feeling on it is the same as many of the remakes. I didn't ask for this movie to get made, but Disney was going to do it anyway, so it's much better to focus on the positive. They've hired an incredible group of people to work on this movie, many of whom have been involved in several other movies that I love. So, if it's going to happen, at least they are putting genuine effort into making something worthwhile instead of going the cheap cash-in route like they did with the direct-to-video sequel craze in the '90s With this group, I'm choosing to be optimistic. Which doesn't mean I won't call it out if it's bad -- I absolutely will -- but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. For right now, isn't it more fun to think positive?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Full confession, I'm probably one of the few HTF members that has never watched "Mary Poppins" from beginning to end. The original film came out in 1964, but I refused to see it. Matter of fact, a bunch of my buddies refused to see it too. We were more into watching "Zulu" or a musical like "Viva Las Vegas". As a kid growing up in the 1960's, I was anti-Disney except for theatrical or TV runs of "Old Yeller" or the Davy Crockett films. I hated the Mickey Mouse Club. I didn't care for musicals unless they had somebody like Elvis with Ann-Margret in it.:) Westerns and War films dominated my viewing pre-junior high school.

To this day, I can remember my teacher making us sing that stupid song in our classroom from "Mary Poppins" with that silly long word.

Last edited:

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
So your transition from smart alikey teenager to old poop became complete!:rock:

It sounds like we are about the same age. I on the other hand loved these stories as a child, but in order to see the movie without my friends knowing I went, sneaked in on an off time and went by myself. I was thoroughly charmed and have been ever since.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...]To this day, I can remember my teacher making us sing that stupid song in our classroom from "Mary Poppins" with that silly long word.
But saying it backwards is even more fun;
which is Docious-ali-expi-istic-fragi-cali-rupus!:drum:

Last edited:

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Full confession, I'm probably one of the few HTF members that has never watched "Mary Poppins" from beginning to end.

Nope you're not alone. It's one of the extremely few movies I have never been able to make it through. I'm very easy to please movie wise, but for some reason, I can't do this film. I get about half way through and then I can't take it any more. I don't know why, but this movie just really gets on my nerves. That being said, I'm still following the sequel closely. :D

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm also not sure if I've ever seen the original from start to finish. I believe I have, but it's never been high on my list of memorable films so I don't recall much about it.

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
Saw this when I was very young and loved it. Made my mother take me twice! I bugged my parents nonstop for weeks to take me and they finally gave in. First album I bought with my own money. $4.00! I couldn't afford the extra dollar for the stereo version. I have high hopes for the sequel, and I do like Emily Blunt, but she has a tough row to hoe replacing Julie in my heart.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Emily Blunt appeared on Jimmy Kimmel to talk about Mary Poppins Returns:

Last edited:

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Why is "hope" needed "now", as opposed to 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 years ago? Movies, especially fantasy movies, don't change the world.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Why is "hope" needed "now", as opposed to 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 years ago? Movies, especially fantasy movies, don't change the world.
I didn't see Blunt say that they did (and if she did, I'd disagree with her) but I think she's simply saying that this movie will entertain people and make them forget their troubles for 2 hours. I don't think that will change the world but at least it will brighten some people's day.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks