What's new

Mary Poppins Returns (2018) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Right -- plus, Miranda isn't even writing this score.

If Shaiman and Whittman gave him a rap moment, I'm sure it was because it plays to his strengths. But he can sing not-rap. He did a great job on the recent Encores! cast recording of Sondheim's Merrily We Roll Along, and that's not rap. Neither is the majority of Moana, on which he co-wrote songs and performed "We Know the Way."

Last edited:

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I love musicals and always have. Most people do not. Most trailers try to hide the fact that a movie is a musical in an attempt to trick the majority of people in to seeing the movie. One of the most often stated comment about “La La Land” when it first premiered was “I didn’t know it was a musical”.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
One of the most often stated comment about “La La Land” when it first premiered was “I didn’t know it was a musical”.

By whom? The trailers for La La Land were very clear that it was a musical. The first two teasers included City of Stars and Audition, respectively, in close to their entirety.

There have certainly been musicals that hid this fact before -- but La La Land was not one of them.

Also, I don't think it's necessary for Mary Poppins 2 to hide that it is a musical. Everyone should expect that it is one because the first one was. It would be downright weird to produce a nonmusical sequel to it.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I think everyone knew La La was a musical.

Disney has singing in plenty of their movies so it shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone this one does too.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Is it safe to say Mary Poppins Returns won't be in 3D? This appears to be the biggest Disney new release to not get the 3D conversion treatment.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Is it safe to say Mary Poppins Returns won't be in 3D?

I can't speak for Disney, but I haven't seen anything indicating that a 3D release is part of their plan, so I assume it will not.

Rob Marshall previously directed On Stranger Tides, which was released in 3D, and Into the Woods, which was not.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Hey, I'm right there with you on the rapping Mike. I've never been much of a fan. I've tried many times to listen to Hamilton because of all the praise but, it just does't work for me. Plus, it's going to feel out of place if the rest of the music tries to mimic the styles of the original movie.

My objection with most rap music is that I’m disinclined to call it music. For me, music is supposed to be musical. As in, the lyrics are sung, not simply spoken. The performer should have a musical voice that can carry a tune, not simply a voice that can recite poetry.

That said, I’ve seen Hamilton on stage and I found it extremely entertaining. I went in thinking I’d struggle with the lack of actual singing but was quite pleasantly surprised that it all worked and worked well.

I realized that, for me, there’s a difference when rap is used as a tool within a larger production vs. just listening to rap for the sake of listening to rap. And that’s why I am not the least bit concerned about rap being used in ‘Mary Poppins Returns’ or any other film.

I think Disney has done a FABULOUS job with the recent live-action remakes of popular animated films. I don’t see why the same can’t be true for this film (if, in fact, it turns out it is more remake than something new). Just because I already know a story doesn’t mean I won’t thoroughly enjoy it being told again.

Unlike certain curmudgeons in this thread, I don’t feel that ANY film is so sacrosanct that it is forbidden to attempt to make another rendition of it. My desire is to be entertained and thoroughly pulled into a story. Some stories are so compelling that it would be a sin to not try to make them again.

Mark

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
For me, music is supposed to be musical. As in, the lyrics are sung, not simply spoken. The performer should have a musical voice that can carry a tune, not simply a voice that can recite poetry.
There are a lot of popular artists outside of the rap genre to which this also applies. There are very few true "singers" out there (at least on the music charts).

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Emily Blunt: "We all cared so deeply about the project because this is a film with great hope...and spectacle...and it's mooooving. So I think it's a very important film to be making right now."

Huh?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Sounds like the typical self-important, "we know better than you" blathering that usually comes out of Hollywood.

Your little film isn't gonna change the world, babe.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I believe the word we're looking for is pablum, then.

"Very important," indeed.
rolleye0010.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks