What's new

Mary Poppins Returns (2018) (1 Viewer)

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
I really had high hopes and wanted to like it as much as the original but this version of Mary for me was just too "dark" and bitter. She always seemed in a bad mood. I kept waiting for things to lighten up and get more lively but it never seemed to get there.

Who knows, maybe it was just one of those days for us and since it's easy enough to watch again I may try it out later down the road.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Was there a dark cloud hovering over your house? Wow! We found it one of the most delightful movies we have seen in a long time. We thought it equaled or surpassed the original. The Blu is sitting in my new-Blus-to-watch-next-drawer, and I can’t wait to see it again!
That's why there are different lids for different pots. We found it disappointing. We watched but probably will never revisit. Glad you liked it.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Watching the movie made me investigate the books again. I remember my mother reading them to me. I think this Mary is closer to the books than the first Disney version. She if anything is more aserbic and vain in the books. When the children remark about the fantastic events they witness, she gets huffy and denies they ever happened.

Events are similar but often different than in each movie. She and Bert on a date are the only ones who go into the chalk pictures for instance.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Why oh why did MARY POPPINS return? Just a dismal remake of the original and the music was truly forgettable.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
As I already said, we loved the new movie and found it absolutely charming.

Also, you have heard the music from the original Mary Poppins probably 50,000 times starting when you were a child and the music from the sequel probably once or twice. Is it a wonder that you found it forgettable?

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I haven't seen this yet, but recently watched "Saving Mr. Banks" and it sounds like that might give me more of an appreciation for the way Mary Poppins is depicted here.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Back from a screening of Mary Poppins Returns! Absolutely charming and delightful. The audience ate it up and I never once thought of Julie Andrews once Emily Blunt came down from the clouds. Walt Disney would have been very happy. I can't imagine anyone but a curmudgeon not falling for its charms. When 92 year old Dick Van Dyke started to dance, the audience broke out in applause. Meryl Streep steals the movie during her big number. The hand drawn animation is wonderful. Big thumbs up!
I haven't seen this yet, but recently watched "Saving Mr. Banks" and it sounds like that might give me more of an appreciation for the way Mary Poppins is depicted here.
Greg that’s almost exactly what I said to my wife.
This version of Mary was more like what was depicted as the person she was based from in Mr Banks.

We finally got around to Returns.
Took us two nights to watch.
This movie was looong.
At about 2:15 that was too much.
I would have been fine if they cut all that upside down turtle stuff.
Did they ever go back to get the bowl?

The music and singing was very good but nothing memorable.
Nothing I expect anyone to be humming 50 minutes or 50 years from now.

The bit inside the bowl started great. I loved the Book song even the rapping part.

But it resolved in an odd way and made no sense to me.
I know the wolf was the banker but what was his motivation, what was he doing in the bowl?
Anyway.
Related to that I really didn’t care for that old trope of the bank taking possession of the house for non payment. Oops my wife died forgot to pay the bills.

The whole thing at Big Ben, why did Poppins let all the Lamplighters risk their lives when she could float up there in a second and do it herself.

Dad was also a problem for me.
How many times in this movie was he short with his kids and Poppins to only a moment later be Oh sorry about that I love you!
He clearly didn’t learn anything from Poppins or that kite.

As soon as the kite appeared onscreen, we both called it that the kite was going to have the certificate in it somewhere.

Having said all that. I liked it enough to give it 3.5 out of 5.
I really was hoping I’d like it enough to give it 4/5 but it was minimum 30 minutes too long.

What I liked about the movie was the performances. Emily and LM where both terrific.
I did notice some poor lip sync dubbing on the singing that took me out of feeling like they were doing live singing.

Also liked that the movie for a little while felt like a throwback
to the old classic Disney musicals.
So it’s a very good movie but it should have been better.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks