Mary Poppins Returns (2018)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Actually, both of those things are yays to me personally.

Miranda has certainly become an active Broadway legend, and Blunt is one of the finest actresses of her generation.

And I doubted Miranda's rapping would connect with me until I listened to Hamilton. Then it did.

Of course, that's me and not you.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I also thought, for the most part, you had to be dead before you're declared a "legend." Or, at a minimum, have a long and storied career in order to be designated with the qualifier "living legend."

Blunt and Miranda are definitely not dead, and don't meet the second qualification, IMO.

Reactions: PMF and EricSchulz

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
That's fair and probably correct. I think Hamilton is going to get Miranda there, and has to a certain generation, but I see your point.

However, we're also talking about an article at Oh My Disney. Their entire purpose is to promote the film, so of course they are going to inflate their language when talking about the stars. It's not exactly a site for impartial journalism.

Mike Frezon

Premium
That's really all I was saying. It's difficult to take seriously anything in an article that refers to Emily Blunt as a "legend"--no matter how big a fan of the actress one might be. And I've really liked a number of her films.

That's the thing. Wanna be a legend? You gotta have a long career with a number of significant accomplishments.

Richard M. Sherman = Living legend
Lin Manuel-Miranda = Not a legend. Working on it. Maybe down the road. But maybe not. Only time will tell.

But declaring people "legends" before-their-time isn't impartial journalism. Its an embarrassing misuse of the language which only ends up undercutting their point. It calls into question anything else about which the writer opines--even if they have an obvious agenda.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
In that case, what we're saying here is that Miriam-Webster needs to update their definition of "legendary," because if you go by that, then Blunt and Miranda certainly meet the criteria of being "well-known" and "famous" but not so much in the longevity department.

I don't think Disney cares about embarrassing misuse of the word on their website at all. The author of the piece was probably told to be as hyperbolic as possible. They just want to make their movie sound good.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I don't think Disney cares about embarrassing misuse of the word on their website at all. The author of the piece was probably told to be as hyperbolic as possible. They just want to make their movie sound good.
That's the lazy go-to for most promotional materials, continuous hyperbole. It's no different than any of the press releases posted for video releases on this forum, which I generally get a good laugh from reading.

Reactions: Jake Lipson

Mike Frezon

Premium
In that case, what we're saying here is that Miriam-Webster needs to update their definition of "legendary," because if you go by that, then Blunt and Miranda certainly meet the criteria of being "well-known" and "famous" but not so much in the longevity department.
Merriam-Webster only needs to make the change if they want to get it right.

Things have never been right since they bought out ol' Noah Webster's estate. Been downhill (and sloppy) ever since.

Mike Frezon

Premium
So everyone who wants to hear Lin Manuel-Miranda rap again...can do so a couple weeks before they go see the movie!

[sarcasm] Yay! [/sarcasm] :rolleyes:

I'm sorry. I'm acting rather trollish here. I should probably bow out of this discussion until after the film hits. I've got so much negative angst about so much of what I've seen and heard that I should really wait until I see it before commenting further.

We all know that Disney is usually quite smart about everything it does. Except, of course, with Cinderella II, Mulan II, Lady and the Tramp II, Fox and the Hound II, Hunchback of Notre Dame II, 101 Dalmatians II, Tarzan II, Bambi II.

Maybe we could return to Austria someday with the Von Trapp descendants and have Lin Manuel-Miranda rap his way into the hearts of the villagers.

And with that cheap parting shot, I'll try to restrain myself. :D

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
So everyone who wants to hear Lin Manuel-Miranda rap again...can do so a couple weeks before they go see the movie!
I strongly suspect I will like the movie enough to want the soundtrack. But releasing it that far in advance of the movie itself is not something I'm into. Especially for a new work, I'd prefer to see the film first and first encounter the songs in the context of the movie. Otherwise, that's essentially a big spoiler for the experience of the movie.

At most, I might buy the CD as a pre-order and shelf it until after the movie.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Hey, I'm right there with you on the rapping Mike. I've never been much of a fan. I've tried many times to listen to Hamilton because of all the praise but, it just does't work for me. Plus, it's going to feel out of place if the rest of the music tries to mimic the styles of the original movie.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Hey, I'm right there with you on the rapping Mike. I've never been much of a fan. I've tried many times to listen to Hamilton because of all the praise but, it just does't work for me. Plus, it's going to feel out of place if the rest of the music tries to mimic the styles of the original movie.
The subject of the founding fathers never fails to entrance me. Put it in front of me and I will devour it. And I love musicals. But I can't abide Hamilton. Like you, Chris, I've tried and tried. It's a total fail for me.

Even if (and, of course, this is a big IF as I have no idea what's coming) it's a "fun rap" (something along the lines of supercalifragilisticexpealidocious)... I don't feel like it'll be the right choice for this film. But we gotta wait and see, I suppose.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I have found the opposite. I have been a life long hater of rap and a lover of Broadway musicals. Despite this I love Hamilton, and was astonished how well the style of music tells a story. How much did you listen to? I would say that not even the majority of the musical is rap.

Reactions: Jake Lipson

Mike Frezon

Premium
How much did you listen to?
All of it (not an easy experience for me). From my perspective, a clear majority of Hamilton is rap and there was maybe only one or two songs (out of dozens) that I didn't hate. But that's just me. I'm all for people liking Hamilton and being introduced to the stories of the amazing men who founded this nation. I've got other ways to hear those stories.

So it is a completely personal thing for me that I hope they don't go in that direction for this film.

I think it's weird that we only get a few notes of a Poppins ballad (as far as songs go) during the trailer.

I hope I am pleasantly surprised with some great music.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
So it is a completely personal thing for me that I hope they don't go in that direction for this film.

I think it's weird that we only get a few notes of a Poppins ballad (as far as songs go) during the trailer.
1) I love Hamilton, but it would surprise me if Mary Poppins was a rap score. They may give Miranda some rapping to do here and there, but if they wanted a rap score, they would have hired him to write it too. Marc Shaiman and Scott Whittman do not specialize in rap, and I expect a more classic Broadway type score from them. They're the guys who wrote Hairspray, which still stands as by far the best movie-to-musical adaptation ever in my opinion for a movie that was not already a musical in the first place. I have confidence in their abilities.

2) Not including a lot of music in the trailer seems to be Disney's MO. We also had this discussion last year about Beauty and the Beast not including songs in its trailer, and on the animation side, neither Tangled or Frozen were marketed with songs either. I actually kind of like it this way because now we can experience the songs fresh for the first time in the context of the movie. I don't know why Disney decided to do it this way, but I don't think it's anything to worry about because this is just what they do now when they have musical films.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaMovieMaestro