1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Manifest (NBC)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Adam Lenhardt, Sep 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

All of the people disappeared at the same time.

2. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    This one involves an airplane. ;)

3. Richard V

Richard V Cinematographer

Richard
    I got it confused. In The 4400 they all RETURN on the same day, right?

4. Bear92

Bear92 Auditioning

Brad
    I agree that the trials of the Stone family are the reason to watch the show. I do care less about the missing passengers and the return of Evil Corp. I disagree that both Ben and Danny are decent men. If Danny is so decent why won't Grace tell Ben anything about him? We do not know even his last name. Why would a man pushing 50 spend so much time with a 15 year old girl to whom he is not related? It bothers me that Ben has not investigated the bigger threat to his family--Danny. This guy spends hours each afternoon climbing with Olive, but is still available in the evenings. He drives a Porsche (why didn't Ben take a picture of the license plate?) so what does he do for a living? Also, remember the day Olive was busted for shoplifting? Grace was gone when they got home. She was gone for hours and we find she had been with Danny. That was an obvious tryst and Ben busted her. This is messy, but I want Ben to win one once in a while.

5. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Correct, but they were snatched from across a 66-year period, from 1938 to 2004.

Richard V likes this.
  6. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

The midseason premiere was tonight.

My biggest frustration at the moment is that the family drama feels manufactured. Grace is freezing Ben out because the plot requires it, not because it's organically the thing she would do. Olive invited Danny over because the plot required it, not because it's organically the thing she would do. Grace feeling allegiances to two different men is an interesting dilemma, but the earlier episodes played that tension far more believably.

The danger with the conspiracy angle is that you have to roll out more and more layers as the show goes on. The Major will lead us the badder guy in charge of her, and then that person will lead us to the even badder guy even further up the ladder, etc. and it slowly becomes so convoluted that you just stop caring as a viewer.

The conceit of all of these people being displaced in time by several years is such a story engine that I often find the conspiracy plot detracts from the moral naturalistic elements.

7. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    It has gripped my attention from the start, and the narrative lapses with certain characters (Ben's wife being the most grievous one) haven't kept me from anticipating each new episode tremendously.

Doug Wallen likes this.
  8. Bear92

Bear92 Auditioning

Brad
    One thing that frustrates me is that they keep telling us how difficult it was for both Grace and Olive to deal with the "deaths" of Ben and Cal. They sure don't act like it! They act like they would have been much happier had Ben and Cal stayed missing. One thing I would like to see is Cal go all "Ransom of Red Chief" on Grace. He doesn't know Danny, he just got back from a family vacation. His parents marital problems, and the fact that his mom has a boyfriend in addition to her husband, should be freaking him out.

9. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    I gave up on Manifest about halfway through, sometime before the holidays. I wanted to like it, but it was just so blah. I think the five-year time travel is a great idea. But I think the show failed from the start to really truly sell that. We didn't spend enough time with them five years ago, and the difference isn't so large as to require any of the actors to look that much older (except for Ben's sister). And technology hasn't changed that much five years. So the conceit never carried as much emotional power as it needed to.

Beyond that, the Lost-ian mysteries and drama just weren't that interesting.

I even gave up on it for dinner TV, which is a low bar (that's where I watch Legends of Tomorrow).

Ah well. So much promise. Pity it didn't follow through.

Bear92 likes this.
  10. Bear92

Bear92 Auditioning

Brad
    Dave, I cannot disagree with you. The writers don't seem to know what they want the show to be. Is it a sci-fi soap opera, or is it a mystery, or what is it really? They keep cutting back and forth between the investigation into what happened and the protagonists personal lives. I agree that enough time has not passed for major technological changes (except for Cal's treatment) but it is the human side that changes in five and a half years. I wish they would explore that more. Honestly, I am more interested in Ben finally finding a job than I am in finding the Major. If the show does not resolve something by the end of the season, I may join you in not watching season two. The Good Guys have to win something once in a while or it just becomes depressing, and who wants to watch a depressing show?

11. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

I'm still enjoying. I'm glad they've got the whole family on the same page now.

12. Matt Hough

Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I agree totally. With all of the other drama happening all around them constantly, we didn't need the constant domestic turmoil.

BTW, loving the latest twist they've thrown into the mix (and who wants to bet there's going to be some romantic angst tied in with this new arrival, too.)

13. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Are we supposed to be rooting for Jared at this point? Because the kind of over-the-top controlling behavior he exhibited in this finale is the kind of personality that leads to murder-suicides.

The mystery behind the disappearances and the callings continues to deepen. On one hand, Griffin was a terrible person who deserved what happened to him. On the other hand, it's pretty Old Testament treatment: whatever force or forces are driving this whole thing needed to let the passengers know that their remaining time is tied to the amount of time that they were gone. And they resurrected and then killed a man in order to convey that message. The purposes of all this may indeed be benevolent, but the decision makers aren't afraid to be ruthless and cold.

The show works much better with Grace and Olive helping Ben investigate than it did when they were all keeping secrets from one another.

The pregnancy twist and the gun struggle as cliffhangers were meh.

The June 2, 2024 date of death for the 828 passengers would seem to lock the show in for a fixed six season run, with the show either culminating in them managing to avoid death, or in them dying having accomplished their mission. Given the strong way the ratings started, that wasn't an unreasonable plan. Ratings since then have plunged sharply, with the show averaging 7.2 million viewers before it went on hiatus in November, and the show only averaging 5.6 million viewers since it came back in January. But it's still one of NBC's stronger performers, so I think the odds are good we'll get a second season. Beyond that? Who knows.

14. Matt Hough

Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I can tell you who I think got hit by the gunshot - Michela. (And the producer did reveal that the bullet found a mark; it didn't go in the ceiling.)

I have willingly taken this ride and have enjoyed it most of the way. Can't wait for next season (even though the show hasn't been formally renewed yet.)