What's new

Make a little noise about WARNER -- get some Press! You have been HEARD! (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Many of you probably have no idea just how
important Home Theater Forum is to
the eyes and ears of the industry.
I was contacted today by Video Store Magazine
regarding the backlash on Warner's decisions to
release WONKA, CATS & DOGS, and other family fare
FULL-FRAME only.
VIDEO STORE MAGAZINE is an industry publication
that gets read by all the industry bigwigs. To
have an issue like this printed in that magazine
means that it will get the attention of the studios.
Because all of you on this forum have voiced
your concerns in a very polite and professional
manner (which this forum is renowned for), you
have received the interest of the press who now
wishes to do a feature article on the Warner Brothers
debacle.
The magazine will be contacting PHONG, the
author of the Warner Brothers petitions.
I have also added my own personal comments
concerning how studios like WARNER and MGM are
catering to the six-pack crowd, instead of using
the DVD format as it was intended to be used, in
providing BOTH versions of a film on the same disc.
I pointed out that a studio like DREAMWORKS
has no reservations about putting BOTH widescreen
and P&S versions of SHREK on DVD, but studios
like Warner and MGM are cutting costs and
catering to what they feel are family consumers
who will not appreciate the fact that film should be presented in its original aspect ratio.
This article will indeed get the attention of
the industry. It is my hope that a strong message
is sent out to the offending studios that not
including widescreen versions on DVD is absolutely
ludicrious.
One last thing I did point out....
The internet community is BOYCOTTING any movie
that is not released in its original aspect ratio.
In other words, this article will stress that
both WONKA and CATS & DOGS will NOT be purchased
by members of the internet community.
I anticipate the article being published
next week at the earliest. I will post a link
or provide a transcript.
------------------
ronbo.jpg

Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein")
Circa 2000
Home Theater Forum Administrator
All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected]
Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
Email Packy [email protected]

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Indeed! Let our voices be heard :)! It makes you wonder if Warner takes notice of the fact that J6P never starts a 10,000+ signed petition when a favorite film isn't released in P&S.
-Tom

CameronS

Supporting Actor
I am very proud of how far the Home Theater Forum has come over the past few years.
It's great to know that the membership's opinions are respected by various people in the industry.
------------------
campic07.jpg

The HTF Lowest Post Champion!
[Edited last by Cameron Seaman on August 20, 2001 at 05:03 PM]

Antonio_M

Stunt Coordinator
Man,I'm a new member on this forum, but I must say that is awesome! I'm so happy to be here because I love my DVD hobby and I love films.
I love even more OAR.
wink.gif

I'm happy our voices were heard!

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info, Ron. It helps for us who are angry about this situation to learn that at least SOMEONE is listening to us.

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
This is great news for THE CAUSE!
icon14.gif

------------------
The Dark Tower
jamaris1.jpg

Roman Polanski's - The Fearless Vampire Killers

PerryD

Supporting Actor
I think it's also important to mention the Digital TV/HDTV sales taking off, doubling last years sales, to over 1 million sets expected to sell this year according to the CEA. I don't know how many of these DTV sets are 16:9, but I imagine that it's not insignificant.
Since the number of DTV owners are roughly doubling each year, the non-sales of P&S DVDs is going to be more and more of a problem, but even using current numbers, it seems crazy to disregard 16:9 set owners.

Kenny Goldin

Second Unit
Wow, this is terrific. I just dont think, however, tat Warner Brothers will get the clue. It seems from what I have read that they are pretty steadfast in this, and I think their proclamation of looking into a LBX version of Willy Wanka was just blowing smoke.
As has been said before about Warner..."Oh how the mighty have fallen."
Hey warner, remember titles like Contact, Three Kings, and A Perfect Storm? I don't recall seeing P&S on those discs, and I also seem to recall they all sold pretty darn well...
------------------
jsb.jpg-thumb_122_91.jpg

Jay and Silent Bob in
CLERKS

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
We can do this. We've done it before, we'll do it again.
Any letters that need writing, I'll write. Any petitions, I'll sign.
This is an unacceptable state of affairs that we genuinely have the power to change! A little elbow grease and things will turn around for the better.

Don Myles

Stunt Coordinator
After all the nonsense with WB refusing to take calls etc on this matter - customer service yeah right - it is great to know that it is possible to get your voice heard.
Warner can stick their collective heads in the sand as much as they like but no OAR = no sale. That's the bottom line.
I love this forum.
Don
------------------

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Excellent news indeed. I have already fired off a written letter to WB explaining why I would not buy WW&TCF in full frame. If I get a written response (which I doubt but you never know) I'll put it up here.

Matt Heebner

Stunt Coordinator
I am glad the HTF is around to keep things in check. I am also glad that our voices are heard....hopefully even at Warner Bros. boardroom meetings!
Hey Ron, just curious....has WB said anything about their upcoming chat? I can't imagine that they are too thrilled with the idea anymore.
Matt
------------------
....Eat, Drink, and Be Merry, For Tomorrow We Die....--DMB
NO OAR-NO SALE WARNER!

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
Wow! That really impresses me!
Damn you guys! We should be proud of ourselves.
------------------
"What if he honks in the car?"
"I'm giving you a no honk guaruntee."

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
This is very good news, indeed. Even with petitions and phone calls and personal letters, you sometimes wonder if you're not just shouting in the dark. It's moments like these that really make you realize why the effort was necessary and totally rewarding. Can't wait to read that article! Many thanks Ron.
Bruce
------------------
mstprev.gif

Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

Alex Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
this is great news.
warner bros. is not having a good year, and i can understand (from a business perspective) why they would want to cut costs on 'family fare', but ron, you are right in that they should be including both open matte/pan and scan and widescreen transfers on a two sided disc.
the format is wonderful and capable of pleasing everyone: casual viewers to home theatre fanatics (like most of us are here)..
i think that as long as this forum speaks it's mind in a clear and intelligent voice, studios will, in addition to the market research they've no doubt spent lots of time and money on, get a better understanding of their customers and be able to present the best product possible.
and then everyone wins. :)
a
------------------
visit neverville
[Edited last by Alex Johnson on August 20, 2001 at 07:00 PM]

Phong

Agent
Just wanted to say that I got an email a few minutes ago from a senior reporter at Video Store Magazine, and I will be talking to him tomorrow on the phone about the issue.
Will keep everybody updated!

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
Excellent news Ron! Excellent news for Phong as well! I, however, will hold back offcial congrats to Phong and the signers of the petition till WWATCF is released in OAR
wink.gif
Cheers.
------------------
Dear WB : Release Wonka in Widescreen!
I didnt play Dungeons and Dragons all those years and not learn something about courage.
--Bernie Faulkner

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Excellent news! It's always a bad thing when a company loses touch with their customer's needs and wishes, all in the interest of their own personal gain. Sometimes, however, a big company can get really smacked for it. Case in point: does anyone remember the "New Coke" debacle? People were pouring jugs of the reviled New Coke down storm drains in protest. And guess what? The Coca-Cola Company surrendered and gave us "Classic Coke." Yay, problem settled--and they got to keep on selling their "Shit Coke" too.
I hope Warner Brothers sees this incident as a necessary "correcting" measure by the public and acts accordingly. Just put widescreen and pan & scan on the same disc, only on different sides. Problems manufacturing that many DVD-18 discs? Simple: dump the pan & scan version entirely. It's an evil thing anyway, a bane that must be vanquished forever. Quit chopping up our motion pictures!
Home Theater Forum rules!
Now, about this world peace thing...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks