What's new

Maggie update (1 Viewer)

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
P: Let me know if those interconnects make any discernable difference....If there is any system where small differences should be discernable, it's yours :emoji_thumbsup:

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
I talk to myself all the time...figured I could quote myself also!!
LOL....When I was an undergrad in psych, I had an instructor who was this really funny, interesting guy whose big thing was sensation and perception. He was lecturing us one day on the topic of the Harvest Moon, and the different theories about this particular illusion (which it is....just an illusion). He gets to this one part of his lecture and I happened to be skimming along in the text, and all of a sudden I see his name there. Some of his work was apparently cited in the textbook....I looked over at my friend and said, "did he just quote himself?".....the instructor overheard me and started cracking up. It was pretty funny :)
PS. If you see a Harvest moon, turn your back to it....bend over and look at it through your legs....it goes away and turns back into a regular moon :)

Alan M

Second Unit
Heres an interesting side note guys,
Saturday,a group of LA guys from AVS got together for a meet.The guy who hosted the event,had a dedicated HT.His setup consisted of a 42" plasma,and a 106" screen for the video side.The audio side was NHT speakers(dont remember the model #'s)and 3 subs(2 outlaw and one other).
The NHT's were floor standers in gloss black(maybe 4 T's) and the rest mounted on the walls,7.1 config.Very nice looking speakers BTW.
I had been thinking of pulling a P,and using my 3.6's for music and going box speakers for the HT.WOW,did yesterday change my mind.
With my work schedule,I've had time to lesson to my own HT,and little else.The NHT's are very nice sounding speakers,and in a 7.1 config filled the room with sound.
Maggies(IMHO),surpassed the NHT's in every way.Direct sound,ambient sound,and just plain old "wow they sound better".Ambient sound ,in particular was much better with my maggies even in my 5.1 setup(again this is just MHO).Guess I'm a Maggie addict whether I like it or not :)

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
M!
Good to see you....That doesn't surprise me at all that you liked the Maggies better, even (especially?) for HT. I've listened to a lot of stuff over the past few months, and I almost always find non-Maggies lacking. I liked the size of the soundstage that the little Von Schweikerts put out, but they ultimately couldn't cut it once I got them home....they went up on Audiogon less than a month after I bought them lol. (I got a good deal, so I didn't lose any money....otherwise I wouldn't have bought them to begin with.)
Maggies just kick butt :)

Dean_M

Second Unit
I wish I had the cash, but I've got just enough left to pay some dude in Ohio some money for shipping that I owe. :D
I'm still waiting on my new amps. It's looking like the first or second week of March for them, although the two channel could be here a bit sooner.

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Dean, I will email you the tracking link that Grant sent me. They are scheduled for delivery Friday.

My 5 tube traps got here yesterday, a day early!!

Dean_M

Second Unit
Great news, P. Let us know how the traps work out for you.
I spent the weekend building a nice pair of oak stands for my MC1 surrounds so that I could get an idea of what my speaker arrangement will sound like with the 1.6s in the rear and 3.6s in the front. I know that it isn't technically correct, but I'm finding that I prefer the sound of the surrounds in the rear as opposed to being placed at the sides. Call me a heretic, but it seems much more enveloping to me. :)

Dean_M

Second Unit
WAKE UP, P! It's time to head to the UPS store. :D
I got more good news last night. My new two channel is shipping Monday and the new three channel should be close behind it. I'm off to listen to a pair of 20.1s today. This could be trouble. Would my room be big enough for them if I was homeless and living under a bridge? :D

Dean_M

Second Unit
I didn't buy them, but they sure were impressive. I now know how those apes in "2001: A Space Odyssey" felt when they saw the monolith. :D
After listening to the 20.1s and the 3.6s, even my wife now wants the 3.6s. In fact, if the dealer had been willing to discount his two month old demos we would have bought them on the spot. But he wouldn't budge on the price. He said we could either buy the demos or have them order a brand new pair for us, our choice, but the price would be the same. I may have to find myself another Maggie dealer with a pair of demos who's more cooperative by wandering up to Georgia, since there are so few dealers in my neighborhood.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
That's bullshit....I know Magnepan has a strict no-discount thing going on, cause I learned about that the hard way myself. But a demo pair is clearly not 'new' by any means....If you're willing to buy his demo pair at a fair and reasonable drop in price, the guy is an idiot for not selling them to you.
I don't know if it helps, but my Maggie guy is in Alpharetta, GA. Their website is soundandcinema.com It's probably a good trip for you, but if you're going to drop that kind of money it might be worth it. I don't know if he has any 20.1 demos, though....I know he's got a very nice Maggie room, and I heard the 3.6s, but I didn't see any 20.1s. He could have them in the 'super kick ass' room, though :)
If you do happen to call them, ask for Ed.

Dean_M

Second Unit
I'm looking to buy a pair of demo 3.6s, not the 20.1s.

I was put off by the fact that the dealer wouldn't discount a pair of demos. It was a new one for me.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Oh okay, well I think the same rule should still apply. Two months use is two months use....him selling them to you as new is crap....I'd definitely find another guy if I were you.

Didn't P and M both get their 3.6s that way?

Dean_M

Second Unit
Yep, I'm going to start looking around for another dealer with a pair next week.

I think P bought his used, which is what I may do if I can't find dealer demos.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks