1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Maggie update

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Alan M, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Love the idea! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:D

Maybe I'll get a better understanding--from your review, Craig--what Maggie Madness is all about! :laugh:

Craig Chase and Dennis Nicholls like this.
  2. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru

Craig
    Excellent - I will keep you posted!

3. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru

Craig
    The LRS pair is on order. We are going to explore a lot of issues with these new speakers. The claims from Magnepan is the new speakers are a major step forward for the company. From the LRS page on Magnepan's site:

"In the 70’s and 80’s nearly every small city had a stereo store(s). Today, most customers have to drive a considerable distance to visit their nearest Magnepan dealer. The MMGi “appetizer” program enabled customers who did not have a Magnepan dealer nearby to try the MMGi in their home. But, the MMGi (like all previous entry-level Maggies) had performance limitations dictated by low-powered receivers. But, what if you own $10,000 or $20,000 speakers? Why would you want to audition the LRS? Actually, we had you in mind when we designed the LRS.

The LRS (Little Ribbon Speaker) is a full-range quasi-ribbon speaker that was designed from the ground up to give you a pretty good idea what to expect from the 20.7 or 30.7. The LRS was designed using high-end electronics and mono blocks. The LRS will perform nicely with a receiver, but it was intentionally designed to extract the most from high-end amplifiers and electronics. The LRS expects more from a properly designed high-current amplifier. That is a radical departure from most entry-level loudspeakers. If you put your expensive high-end amplifier on the LRS, you will hear the difference.

Perhaps you heard Maggies somewhere in the past but were not impressed, maybe it was the sound room or setup or associated equipment. The LRS 60-day, money-back, home-trial program allows you to sample Magnepan's full-range ribbon technology for $650 pair in your home against the very best box speakers (at any price). We hope you will take the challenge."

We are taking the challenge, and will be reviewing the LRS with PS Audio and Marantz gear, along with an OPPO universal player. The PS Audio pre-amp / power amp set up alone is $4700, and considered "Class A" by Stereophile. For a pair of $650 speakers, and against our two current high end favorites (Axiom LFR-1100 and Ohm Walsh SSC-4900 - both about $5000 per pair), the LRS will get a workout.

Mike Frezon likes this.
  4. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru

Craig
    We are now into July, and no word on when the speakers will ship. We did receive confirmation from Magnepan that the order was received, along with the proper debit card info. That was back in May. Perhaps they are just that backed up.

5. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Executive Producer

Dennis
    Lots of Maggie madness around the house here. Maggie - the moggie. Why are you guys going on about loudspeakers?

Maggie arrives.JPG

6. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru

Craig
    Hi guys - The Magnepan LRS speakers have shipped - so a little less than 3 months from the order date. There never was any communication regarding keeping me updated, but they also didn't charge my card until today. They have also been swamped with requests, so I can't see anything about which to complain.

7. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

All right! Things are going to get moving now.

I hope there's gonna be pictures, Craig. I always felt this thread needed more pix.

Craig Chase likes this.
  8. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru

Craig
    Mike - There will be pics, for sure. :3dglasses:

9. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    I will say that a little over 25 years ago I decided to finally get a really good pair of main speakers. I mean, as close to my ultimate speakers that I could afford. I lived in Connecticut and traveled throughout the State daily for work, so I was able to visit a lot of high-end stores and had pretty much everything available to choose from. After months of listening, it came down to two choices. One was a large pair of Magnepans. I forget the model, but they were about 6' tall and would have sold for about $4K a pair in the early '90s. Maybe Craig knows what model they were. It was an incredibly difficult decision. The silkiness of the Magnepans was very tempting, but in the end I decided on "dynamic" speakers and got a pair of Thiel CS 3.6. I still own them.

Craig Chase likes this.
  10. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru

Craig
    John - Best guess is the Tympani 4A ... your Thiels are a classic from that era, along with Legacy Model 1, VMPS Super Tower II ... some GREAT Stuff!

11. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    That’s gotta be it. I just remember the model having a 4.

Craig Chase likes this.
  12. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru

Craig
    The LRS arrived safely last evening. I did manage to get them into the system and did a quick listen. By quick, I mean 5 minutes. Our daughter is leaving for university today, and things are pretty hectic. I will try to get some pics over the weekend - and can say this: I cannot imagine more cool factor for $650.

13. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru

Craig
    A quick update - I managed to get an hour with the Maggie LRS last evening. The disc was the SACD of Roger Water's "In The Flesh." The LRS did a great job of presenting the large soundstage and the imaging of the performers. Waters is front and center - the band and sound effects nicely to the sides - and sometimes - it feels like behind you.

They don't quite match the Ohm 4900's nor the Axiom LFR-1100's in this respect, but as those are $5000 per pair speakers, what these guys are doing for $650 is already astonishing. Maggies are known for not "playing loud", but so far, they handle and volume that I prefer.

14. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru

Craig
    Time for a quick update - The LRS are an interesting speaker. If one looks at the Stereophile response curve for these speakers, one will see a pretty wide curve. It's quite noticeable with the human voice. I was watching "Cinderella Man", and when Mrs. Maddock (Renee Zwelliger) is speaking rather emotionally, her voice moves up and down a solid octave. She goes from forward to recessed in the sound stage. This is much harder to detect with most music.

Another item - they have a lot in common with headphones. When listening, one must be in the "sweet spot" to get the "good stuff." After 10 days of ownership, it's becoming clear that these speakers CAN make magic, it just requires work. More later.

15. Colin Dunn

Colin Dunn Supporting Actor

Colin Dunn
    I'm curious how the LRS compares to the MMGi / MMG line. The specs on paper look nearly identical. The MMG(i) was an over-achiever in its price class as well ($500 when introduced in 1998, $600 in 2018 before it was discontinued).