What's new

Maggie update (1 Viewer)

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Yeah, it was the Vegas guy that I was thinking of....I remember you being pretty impressed with what he had done in those various rooms. Is that what you're doing in your own place now?
That is where I have been for several months now, just checking out the traps. I do think that one smaller trap in my left rear corner sounds a little better than before, but not much. I think I'll pass on the tube traps for now.
I'M DONE!! My system is far better than I could have ever imagined!! If it's not broke, don't fix it!! I'll spend the money saved on the trap for more cd's!! :D

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Heck yeah, P....your system has got to be SICK by now....i wish I could hear that rig! I still want to know more about what kind of stuff you're listening to....what are some of your favorites? What CDs you gonna buy? :)

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
I still want to know more about what kind of stuff you're listening to....what are some of your favorites?
Al Di Meola, Rippingtons, Spyro Gyra, Earth Wind and Fire, Bella Fleck, Michael Hedges (RIP), Yellow Jackets, Manhattan Transfer, Pat Matheny, Oregon, Jean-Luc Ponty, Acoustic Alchemy, David Benoit, Tower of Power,...and on and on!!

Plus all of the classic jazz stuff!!

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Alright, NOW we're talkin! I have heard of almost all those you listed, even though I don't know a lot of their stuff. Earth, Wind, and Fire RULES man.....'Let's Groove Tonight' was one of my favorites :)

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
I've seen Al Di Meola, Spyro Gyra 3 times, Michael Hedges 2 times-may he rest in peace, Yellow Jackets, Jean-Luc Ponty, Acoustic Alchemy, Chick Corea, and a bunch of rock concerts!!

In the past I've seen CSN&Y, Santana, The Band, The Rolling Stones, Aerosmith 3 times, Kansas 2 times, Black Oak Arkansas, ZZ Top, George Thorogood, Eagles, Joe Walsh, James Gang, Jonathan Winters, Frank Zappa, Rush 2 times, Foghat, Ted Nugent, REO Speedwagon 2 times, Slade, J. Geils Band, Chicago, John Cougar, and probably a few I can't remember because of being in a drug induced state!! :b

Also The Blue Man Group in Vegas, Elton John in Cincinnati, and the Trans Siberian Orchestra in Dayton, within the last 6 months. My wife even drug me to a Godsmack show a few years ago.

There is nothing like live music to get a good reference on how things sound!!

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Wow, that's awesome P! You've been to some great shows! I really wanted to see Chicago before Peter Cetera left....they were one of my favorite bands when I was younger....Love J.Giles...I'm pretty much a fan of most of what you listed there. Well, I USED to be a fan of Elton John until he hacked on my man Roberto Bengini (he wrote, directed, and starred in "Life is Beautiful"....my favorite movie). F U ELTON!!!

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
I'M DONE!! My system is far better than I could have ever imagined!! If it's not broke, don't fix it!! I'll spend the money saved on the trap for more cd's!!
WRONG!! :angry:
After an all day audition and much experimentation with configurations, the tubes will be my next upgrade!! I had my best friend over this evening to get a second opinion. He agrees with me that the upper bass is much cleaner which helps the mids and highs. Sound is wider than ever before and unbelievably clear!! It is by far the biggest room treatment improvemant yet. But with it all together....WOW!! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Dean_M

Second Unit
Bastard, you're getting too far ahead of me. :D
I forgot to ask you last night - have you had a chance to check out the BAD diffusor panels? I didn't see the review on MUG, but someone suggested them for treating the ceiling in my listening/viewing room over the seating area.
BTW, some pics of your new bass traps and their placement would be nice. ;)

Dean_M

Second Unit
Another question for all you Alans and other Maggie fans - are any of you familiar with the Pioneer Elite DV-79AVI universal player? I'm more interested in its audio capabilities than its video. I bought a bunch of MC SACDs in anticipation of the Sherwood 871 being released months ago, but I can't listen to them since the 871 release has been delayed repeatedly.

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
but someone suggested them for treating the ceiling in my listening/viewing room over the seating area.
I had top of the line Armstromg acoustic ceiling panels installed about a year ago. These are said to absorb 60% of the sound that hits them. But some diffusion up there might also help in certain ares. Those 3.6's are tall bitches!! :D

Dean_M

Second Unit
Great minds think alike. We're going to install Armstrong ceiling tile in the living room and hallways within the next month or two. I'm going with the tin ceiling look tiles which are applied directly to the sheetrock with adhesive and staples, as opposed to the suspended ceiling type panels. I did my kitchen with them and they look great. After the tiles are installed, I'll have a better idea of the room acoustics and I'll start looking at the BAD panels a little closer.

Bill .P

Auditioning
Great what are you going to fill them with? sand & gravel mixture works great, plus I have a big hunk of Ubatuba on the rear chassis............

Bill .P

Auditioning
Great what are you going to fill them with? sand & gravel mixture works great, plus I have a big hunk of Ubatuba on the rear chassis............
htf_images_smilies_chatter.gif

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Are you ready to "strut your stuff"??
The tracking shows my stands at the boarder!!
My ASC tube traps shipped today from Boston!!
My old 1.6 maggies shipped today to California!!
My "GOT JAZZ" wall clock arrived today from The Jazz Store!! ( It is an LP record, made into a clock....pretty cool!!)
Are any of you guys interested in a PS Audio UPC-200 Power Center for $350. I am going to sell this, I don't use it anymore. http://www.psaudio.com/products/upc200.asp

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
P, are you quoting yourself again? :D
By the way, I had a nice chat with Pierre from Mapleshade yesterday....this is one of the most interesting guys in audio, IMO. He's got a lot of opinions on stuff, and I'd pretty much be willing to try just about any of his ideas. He happens to own a pair of Maggie 3.6s that he uses to test out some amp modifications that he's involved with. He said the Maggies and the Gallos are his favorite speakers. Supposedly he has some tweak that he does to the Gallos that he really likes to the point where he's worked out a deal with Gallo Acoustics to offer the modded version through Mapleshade. The cool thing was that he never once tried to sell me on ANYTHING. He was just a really great guy to talk to....loves what he does....loves music.....told me to call back anytime. Cool guy!

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
By the way, I had a nice chat with Pierre from Mapleshade yesterday....this is one of the most interesting guys in audio, IMO.
And a fellow named Eldon at Mapleshade is good to talk with also. I've talked to both numerous times. I'm going to be trying some of their interconnects and tube anchors soon!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks