What's new

Maggie update (1 Viewer)

Dean_M

Second Unit
3.6s will be my next upgrade after the amps and universal player. My 1.6s will be moved to the rear and replaced in the front by the 3.6s. My MC1s are going to get used in the bedroom for a 3.1 mini HT.
I've noticed a big difference in the 1.6s over the MC1s with both music and HT.
I've heard of the Van Alstine stuff, but I've never auditioned any of it. I'm sticking with my Exodus amps. :D

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Oh okay, I didn't know you'd already heard one...was this when you had the MC1s or with the 1.6s? And what did you find exactly compared to the Outlaw amps? I think what I've pretty much concluded myself is that the Outlaw amps are really really good for HT, but they are just 'okay' for music - particularly on a higher end speaker such as the Maggies. I'm really thinking that with bigger Maggies, a better amp, and an outboard DAC (I'm REALLY taking note of these lately....I think this is a big part of the answer to my 2-channel issues), I'll be able to have my HT while also being able to really polish up my music.

If I'm being honest, that's probably my biggest fear about going to larger Maggies. My interest in music is very, VERY ecclectic. I'm just fearful that if I clean up my gear, and then get speakers that are even more transparent than what I have now, I'm going to end up with a bunch of unlistenable CDs, lol.

What kind of music do you guys listen to? Dean-O, you seem more like a classic rock kind of guy to me more than a Jazz guy. What's your flavor? What are your findings with regard to quality of recordings on the 1.6s?

P? Same question! lol

M? Come on, buddy....where'd ya go??

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I am glad to see that all my favorite Maggie droogs are hanging around. Everytime I get into this thread it reminds me of the Maggies I don't own.

One of these days!

Dean_M

Second Unit
Z: I auditioned the amp with my 1.6s. Judging by my tin ears, the amp was more revealing and provided more detail and punch than my M-200s. FWIW, the UcD based amps are becoming very popular with Maggie owners and owners of other planars/electostats because these amps excel at driving difficult loads.

I listen primarily to classic rock, but I can't really comment on how my 1.6s deal with poor recordings. My "CD player" is a Denon DVD-1910 which I don't think is up to the task of playing CDs well. Hopefully, it'll be replaced in April when the Sherwood SD-871 universal player is finally released.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Okay, so you guys both listen to classic rock....any suggestions as to what sounds good and what doesn't? How about Zeppelin II? I've heard that's a great album....What else ya got that's good?

Alan M

Second Unit
Hey guys,

What have I been up to?

work,work and when I'm through,more work.My company has had 7 sales reps from around the country here in town for the last 2 weeks.I've been coordinating them,so been working from 6am til 10pm every day.Work,come home ,eat a lite meal and sleep.

Its finally over,so now,I can get back to having a real life.

I'm a classic rock,jazz guy also.My collection of Crosby,Stills,Nash and Young cd's sound absolutely terrible on the 3.6's.On the other hand,some(not all) of my Steely Dan cd's sound truly amazing.Van Morrison cd's sound great as do my Commodore cd's.

I'll have more to report later now that I'm semi free again.

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
My collection of Crosby,Stills,Nash and Young cd's sound absolutely terrible on the 3.6's.
I picked up a HDCD of "CS&N Greatest Hits" that was remastered by Atlantic in 2005. My cd player is a HDCD player also, but no DVD-A or SACD...I play those types up in my HT.

A friend brought over his remastered Dire Straits cd, and we compared it to my HDCD Dire Straits. His remastered cd won. HDCD is nice, but a well done remastering is better!!

Dean_M

Second Unit
:laugh:
Z: You need to get out and audition some tubed gear to see if you like it or not. I don't care for it myself, but lots of folks think highly of it. ;)

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Dean: I don't think I really want a tube amp, but I'm VERY interested in the hybrids. I don't want to sacrifice on the juice that makes Maggie sing, but if the incorporation of tubes can take the sound to another level, I'd definitely like to try that. Van Alstine has a hybrid amp that is quite reasonably priced that another 3.6 owner SWEARS by. I think they offer a 30 day in home trial, so after I get my speakers I may give that a go. It's ugly as hell, but I can live with it :)
I'm glad you guys are keeping up with the threads over there :) I have a lot more fun here in our thread, but those people on the asylum are SICK with knowledge.

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Just brought home 4 ASC Tube Traps from Audible Elegance. 2 11" and 2 9". They are letting me borrow them over the weekend. I will post my results!!

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
P, are those the ones from that guy whose system(s) you heard and liked so much? What are they supposed to do? And how do you guys know where to put the damn things? lol

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
P, are those the ones from that guy whose system(s) you heard and liked so much? What are they supposed to do? And how do you guys know where to put the damn things? lol
No, my friend doesn't have any room treatments, just Vandersteen speakers....great speakers. Or are you talking about Michael Green out in Vegas. I have a bunch of his stuff along with Sonex panels....that is how my system was made to sound so balanced!!
I have yet to find any place that makes them (tube traps) sound good in my system. I will keep trying, but it sounded sooooo good before, I may be trying to overkill a bit!! I'm thinking they will not be used in my system?? It doesn't need them!! :D
http://www.acousticsciences.com/tubetrap.htm

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Yeah, it was the Vegas guy that I was thinking of....I remember you being pretty impressed with what he had done in those various rooms. Is that what you're doing in your own place now?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks