What's new

MadVR settings for HDR playback of UHDs? (1 Viewer)

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Hello all.
I play my UHDs on my PC.
I have an LG 43UD79 monitor and a Pioneer AV receiver.
Now, I have bought the Curzon Three Colors Trilogy on UHD and I'm trying to find the correct settings in madVR to resemble this screenshot for example, in brightness/gamma:

I see the HDR settings that are changeable, are in the receiver tab:
Untitled.png

When I use "let madVR decide", I get this picture:

00000.mpls_snapshot_00.03.46.113.png

When I use "tone map HDR using Pixel shaders" and put 100 nits, I get this picture:

100 nits.png

None of these resemble that caps-a-holic comparison (although, it's fair to say that caps-a-holic compares the Criterion to the French set. Maybe the Curzon set is darker? I don't know).
Anyway,
does anyone who uses a home theater PC, know what are the correct settings, to watch the movie(s) in the correct way, with the colors and brightness they are supposed to be seen?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don't use madVR and haven't seen any other users on HTF talk about it. Hope you can figure out your issues.

compson

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
I have an Envy because I’m not smart enough to use madVR with a PC. You might try AVS Forum:

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
Agree that this forum probably isn't the best resource for MadVR. From everything I've read, the PC version isn't really a "set-it-and-forget-it" type solution, and finding the best settings for your display can require a lot of trial-and-error. Even with the Envy, a professional calibration is recommended to get the most out of it.

I wish there were similarly capable software available that could be deployed as a Docker container in Linux and configured via web interface. That would be easier to implement as a DIY video processor than MadVR, which depends on Windows and DirectShow.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks