What's new

Made the switch from SVIDEO to Component and.... (1 Viewer)

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Just for $hits and Giggles I decided to switch over from

SVIDEO to Component Cables today and I saw no diffrence in

picture quality.

I was running a Monster SVID from my Panasonic CV51 into my

Onkyo 787 and then from the 787 to the RCA 61" RPTV via a

Radio Shack Gold SVID.

I took 3 seperate runs of RCA Home Theater Cable (Made for

RCA by Monster) and went directly from the DVD to the TV's

Component inputs and I was ready to be astounded....

It never happened...

I must not be a "Videophile"

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
The step up from S-video to component is extremely subtle, and many people can't tell the difference visually. It would only be visible on well-calibrated projection system with a huge picture.

Fortunately, you likely did not spend a lot of money on this experiment - you're only out the cost of a set of cables.

The real step up happens when you go to progressive component, using a progressive-capable DVD player and an HDTV-ready display. That gets rid of the interlace flicker, which is a very obvious improvement. You should be able to reuse your component cables if/when you make that upgrade later.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you didn't recalibrate after installing the new cable, then there would certainly be little or NO DIFFERENCE!!

After installing my component cable (having recently calibrated with the svid cable) I recalibrated and found that the color was in need of a fairly large correction. The others - peak white & black levels were not noticably affected. As mentioned, the change will occur most as a subtle color enhancement, not an increase in picture clarity. I wasn't sure if I was wasting my money when I bought it, but I feel it was money well spent.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Take a close look around the edges of objects in s-video for any slight bleeding (if any) and then see if component clears it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks