What's new

Sony KP-51WS520 Noob-Review *Long Read* (1 Viewer)

Wes_R

Agent
Alright, after having this RP for about a week now, i can now kinda give an in depth review. Take note, im new to the HT scene so my opinions and comparisons might not be on par with all of yours.

This is my setup so far, nothing more nothing less.
- Sony 51" KP-51WS520
- XBox w/Monster 400 component cables (serves as DVD player as well)
- TW Digital Cable box w/RCA Svideo/Audio cable combo.

Alright, upon inspection you can clearly see the aesthetics are very different from last years model (510). The fluid'ness of the housing is in my opinion alot better looking than last years model (no offense anyone).
Other than the looks and new HDMI/DVI output theres no difference. The dimensions are exactly the same, still has protective screen, menus are about the same, this model also rolls around which makes it easy to move around (Already came in handy). On carpet, you cant even see the wheels.

**Run flash focus 30-40min after watching tv for the first time. Many people look over this**

Turning it on, i immediately turn down the contrast and brightness as they were on %100 death level. Hooked everything up and began to tweak and play with the settings. I enjoy tweaking it and adjusting things here and there. After 30-40min of watching tv, allowing it to warm up, i flash focused it as the instruction book said. I really dont know what it does, but i think it made the picture a bit cleaner.

**If you dont have hdtv cable box, hook them up via svideo as the coax rf cable is just poor quality, i noticed a significant difference with the switch**

Hooking up the xbox with the 400 cables, i think is a necessity to use component cables RGB over anything else. Adjusted my xbox's settings accordingly to accomodate the video settings of the TV. Games are soo beautiful i get immersed in the eyecandy over gameplay. Its incredible playing Ninja Gaiden with the lights out.

After a few days i purchased AVIA from Phil Thron (thnx phil!) Sat down, relaxed, turned out the lights and commenced the calibration. It was a bit confusing at first and hard to follow along, but after going back and forth understanding it, i figured out how to do it right. So i calibrated it with the basic tools. Popped in star wars 2 clone wars and it was soo much lively than before calib. I didnt think there was gonna be a difference but it really showed its ass this round.

**Calibration is a must with RPTV, i think we all know that anyways, worth the money and investment**

Protective screen isnt what everyone thinks. Me, i found it glaring only on black only. Maybe because my room is locktight of any light source. I have no issues with glare and im very satisfied with the outcome. Although if i were to move into a more light-lt room it will prolly then become a problem.. But for now, im satisified.

The remote is a bit oblong. Its programmable so i have it programmed for the TV, Cable box AND XBox DVD kit. The only issues i have on this remote is, theres no skip-skip buttons for DVD playback ( > ). The vol and channel buttons are at the bottom of the remote which is a long stretch for my thumbs, at the same time you gotta balance the remote while trying to change channels.. But thats just my peeve.

I had a little test session with my computer to tv with svideo. I could only get it to work in safe mode (learning later the comp has to be in either 640x480 or 800x600 mode) to boot into windows. The image quality for it being in safe mode was very clean, i was actually impressed. The text was as blurry as some say either. I'll be experimenting with all that later maybe with an HDMI/DVI cable. Then there could be better results.

I think this sony is the perfect "choice" for me being the beginner i am. I'm quickly learning thnx to you guys and this forum i visit and lurk everyday.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Dude, to me this was one of the best reviews I've read. Why I say this because I just ordered the same T.V. from Best Buy and will be picking it up this Wednesday. The store mgr is good friend of mine and through his assistance I was able to get the second model in the store as the first model will be their floor model. In light of the big thread about upscaling DVD players in A/V section of this forum and other forums, I ordered the Zenith DVB318 upscaling player to use with HDMI/DVI input and through the component video. The player upscales to 1080i.

Wes_R

Agent
zenith? really?
let me know how it works out for ya... i'd like to hear more about this combination..

Steven_Lazarus

Stunt Coordinator
While everyone has their reasons for chosing what they do, it all comes down to what makes the "Owner" happy. Thus, if your happy that's all that matters. I have a 57" Sony RPTV, and it does indeed leave a smile on my face daily.
Anyway! I just wanted to chime in and say if you really want to get the most out of your DVD's and HD RPTV, an upscaling DVD player is the way to go. I was happy with the PQ of my television to begin with, but after getting the Zenith DVB-318 I wasn't happy anymore, I was absolutley amazed. I'm not promoting the Zenith, I'm promoting the upscaled 1080i picture. There's a few others on the market so whatever makes you happy!
It's the best investment to return ratio around $200 you'll ever get !!! To be honest I was more impressed with this transition than I was going from VHS to DVD...But that's just me!! :D ;) :D
Ciao,
Steve

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Just got mine yesterday. I learned that this baby is literally sold out in my area. Well I have to agree with you Wes, to me this baby had a beautiful picture right out the box. In fact the brightness was set to 75% on vivid and about 50 on cinema and a little more on pro. Using DirecTV satelllite looks so damn good, I was floored. I didn't do the flash convergence yet, will do that tonight.

Played a couple clips from Fifth Element superbit and The Siege DTS. The opening scene with archaeologist is sweeping the walls was so damn clean and clear, I could see his sweat. Here's the best comment I heard from my wife:"IT'S LIKE LOOKING THROUGH A WINDOW". Well, can't wait to go home and doe the VE treatment.

Now just waiting for my Zenith DVB 318 and I'll order the HDMI/DVI cable from one of the sites and that'll be it. Question about what to do with my center channel, I thought the top would be flat but not, how did you place your center channel.

Wes_R

Agent
well, i dont have surround sound yet, thats why im not displaying any pictures of my setup.. lol. Still building.

Yea, the top is a little narrowwith a frontal downslope.

Looks like imma end up having to buildup a little elevated platform for it to sit on. I see on the top on the back theres indents with screws going in. In the center is an indention with one screw. I might possibly be able to fab up a metal strap formed to curve over the top to hold a peice of wood that will be the center channel platform.

I dont know how much these center channels weigh these days, so in not too for sure.

You can always get some velcro sticky and put a soft strip on the speaker and clingy strip on the top of the tv. Then fold a piece of black construction paper in fours, place it under the speaker front and use a level to make sure its level.

I dunno, just a few ideas to help you out.

LET me know where you buy your hdmi/dvi cable as well.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
As stated in the Zenith thread, got the player today. Will keep you guys informed after some tests. I plan to VE the t.v. first through the component video connection.

Steven_Lazarus

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sure your going to be very happy with the results!:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
Please let me know if you notice any changes in PQ component VS DVI...
Ciao,
Steve

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I was so rushed I didn't calibrate fully, just turn the levels down based on eye. Finding Nemo was almost 3D. Specs of water almost appeared to be real. Fifth Element Superbit in 1080i, well, words almost can't explain it. I'll give you more when I finally get VE in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks