What's new

Madden 2003 or NFL 2k3? Any reviews? (1 Viewer)

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I don't have the game yet so take this with a grain of salt. My understanding from what I have been reading is that sometimes there is a noticeable delay when you push the bottun to switch players on both offence and defence. (Push the button and then you wait) I have no idea if this is true
I can answer this one. Originally, when first playing, I wanted to alter the controller configuration. I wanted the stiff arm moves to be used by the left and right trigger buttons instead of the black and white buttons, so I switched to alternate controller configuration A. What happens (and this is demonstrated neither on the screen or in the manual) is that when you do this, it alters the switch player button on offense and defense from the default of button B, to now button A. The first time I was playing the game, I was hitting the B button to switch players and getting no response. Once I went back to the default configuration, I could switch players using the B button with no delay whatsoever and increased my enjoyment of playing defense immesurably. Chris, I would say this might have been experienced by the people in the posts you read, but if I were you I would have no worries. As Romier said, the control is spot on in this one.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
I've already started my franchise. I had to start things off with a fantasy to give my Ravens any chance of being respectable. I ended up with Daunte Culpepper, Shaun Alexander, Ray Lewis, Courtney Brown, John Odgen, Kevin Hardy and Oronde Gadsden as my marquee guys and the third-ranked team in the NFL.
My greatest moment so far: Week 2, Ravens vs. Bucs. Final play of the game, Bucs on about their own 35. Jim Miller drops back and fires one, but it's intercepted by Ray Lewis. He takes off down the sideline, jukes out on O-lineman and scores the game-winning touchdown with nothing but zeroes on the clock!!!:D
Worst Moment: Next week against the Broncos, about 15 seconds left, tie game, David Boston catches one and roars down the sideline for about 65 yards before he's pushed out, setting up a ridiculousy easy field goal for the win. This causes me to slam my controller on my fake hardwood floor, breaking the casing and knocking something or other inside there loose. Luckily, it still works fine, but my defensive ineptitude could end up costing me thirty bucks.:angry:

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
By the way, all the good teams are gone in the HTF Football league. I had to go with the Bills:frowning: Does anyone know how this is addressed when we go on-line? Dean already seems to have a better grasp of the game than I do (playing on Pro level and winning) and if I have to go up against his Rams playing with the pathetic Bills, he'll kick my ass all over the field. Does anyone know how the discrepancy of the team talent will be addressed in online play?
Brian, I have watched that Dan Patrick intro on my XBox at least 4 times in full now and have not noticed any lip sync problems at all. I don't know if it's specific to the PS2 version or your particular copy, but on my system it's perfect.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
and if I have to go up against his Rams playing with the pathetic Bills, he'll kick my ass all over the field
Trust me, it is not just the Bills who should be scared of me. ;)
(Marshall up the middle, Marshall off left tackle, Marshall off right tackle, Marshall with the reception, Marshall scores again :) ) Unlike Martz, I will use him to my advantage. ;)
-Dean-

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I noticed the lip-sync issue on the PS2 version. I have yet to watch the intro on the X-box version. I will when I get home today.

-Dean-

ChristopherS

Second Unit
I ended up buying both NFL 2k3 for the XBOX and Madden 2003 for the PS2. I figured this way I could play online immediately and not have to buy duplicate games. I probably won't have time to set up the PS2 until the weekend but I am looking forward to playing NFL 2k3 tonight.

Chris

Pete M

Stunt Coordinator
Could someone please confirm if 2K3 can be played at 480p on PS2? I'm not doubting anyone who posted earlier in this thread, but would like to hear from someone who actually played it in 480p. Thanks.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Pete,
In the NFL2K3 manual for the PS2, it tells you how to enable 480p. i didn't try it, since my TV won't output 480p, but I can't see why SEGA would confirm it awhile ago and put it in the actual manual, and then leave it out. To borrow from EA, "Its in the game!" :)
-Dean-

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Is anyone else seeing a lip-sync issue with his audio?
Brian Mansure, long time now see (or hear) man!:)
I have the Xbox version of the game and I just ran through the Dan Patrick intro, no noticeable lip synch issue with my copy of the game.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I just checked again. No lip sych problem on my Box!

Anyone else finding this game as frustrating as I am? I've played 5-6 times now on Pro mode and no matter who I use, good teams or bad and no matter who I play, from the Rams to the Panthers, I'm consistently getting my ass kicked. I'm finding that throwing interceptions are so easy for me it's not funny. It could be 3rd and 15 and trying to shake things up by trying a running play usually results in minimal gain. I've lost every game by at least two touchdowns and have yet to score more than 13 points yet.

Thank god this game doesn't go live until November!

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Anyone else finding this game as frustrating as I am?
Actually no. Thats that odd thing for me. I'm finding the difficulty just right for me. I dont know what difficulty I have the game set at (Should be normal as I have not changed any menu options) but I'm learning more as I play and I'm actually getting the hang of running now. I took my Giants (Way back when, I used to watch football and the Giants were my team back then. Around Super Bowl XXV!!) against the 49'ers. I had a really tough time completing a pass against them but I was able to juke and jive my way to a touchdown or two. I lost the game but it was only by one field goal!:frowning:
As for interceptions, I've played 5 exhibition game, in those 5 games I've seen 2 interceptions. One by me and one by the other team. (and one lousy ass fumble that I wanted to kill my running back for since I was 2nd an goal!).

Pete M

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Dean. I didn't realize Sony had mentioned it before - I thought the 1st word about it was in the manual. I don't have the component cables for my PS2, but I will definitely buy them now for this game. (I wish I could just use my component cables from my DVD player or my HD receiver since I don't have another input on my TV anyways)

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I'm finding that throwing interceptions are so easy for me it's not funny.
If you are throwing a lot of picks, this means you are forcing the ball to much. Look for the open guy. If all else fails, dump it off to the RB. In 2K2 I used to run out of the pocket a lot when I passed. I found in this game you need to sit in the pocket. If you pay attention to the O-line, the game now forms a more realistic pocket to sit in. I have only been sacked 2 times in 4 games with the Rams and Warner is far from mobile. I have thrown 10 TDs and 5 INTs. However, three of those INTs came in the rainy loss to the Bucs. I made a couple of poor decisions and had one bad bounce. The last game I played against the Giants I didn't throw any picks and I smoked them 31-7. The Giants offensive line is really bad. I got consistent pressure on Collins and he rushed a lot of passes which resulted in overthrows or picks.
Thank God it is almost time to go home from work, I am ready to play some football. :)
-Dean-

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Another thing, if you see that the D is bringing a lot of guys on a blitz, audible to a pass play if you are not in one already and run a hot route for one of your WRs. Or select a screen hot route for your RB and back pedal with your QB after snapping the ball. When the D penetrates your O-line and gets within a couple steps of your QB, loft a pass to your RB for a big gain. Because if they bring in more than one LB on a blitz, your RB will be free to make a nice gain. :emoji_thumbsup:
I had a 55 yard gain with Faulk with this exact scenario. BTW, I watch waayyyyy too much football. :)
-Dean-

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Evan - If you're having that much of a problem with Pro mode, switch to Rookie mode for a while. One of my major complaints with the NFL 2K series has been that Rookie mode was too easy and Pro mode was too hard. There was a big difference between them. That was supposed to be addressed in this release. Can anyone vouch for that? I just picked up my copy of NFL 2K3 and won't get a chance to try it until tonight.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
The playbook editor is really pissing me off. I had assembled a great variety of offensive plays, then when I got into a game I realized that I only had the game's base defensive plays. Then, I had to quit the game and add some defensive plays, but then realized that my book could only hold 20!!! Twenty plays for a defense is simply not enough. And I can't go back to using the Ravens' standard playbook, cause it sucks and my offense was going great with my modified book.:angry: :angry:

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
I also felt that Sega's offerings were not very balanced between Rookie and Pro modes.

I eventually worked my way through Pro and tried a couple of games at All-Star, but after getting my butt kicked a few times last night, I am gonna try Rookie for a while. I need to get the feeling back again. Last year I had Madden, not 2K2, so I've been out of practice.

Thank god this game doesn't go live until November!
You're not kidding. I'd get killed!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks