What's new

Madden 2003 or NFL 2k3? Any reviews? (1 Viewer)

Brandon_S

Second Unit
Dean,
How are 2k3's graphics on the PS2 compared to the graphics of 2k2 on the PS2? Have there been many improvements? I originally bought the PS2 version of 2k2 but ended up getting and keeping the Xbox version because I found the graphics to be far superior. Since then however, my roommate who owned the Xbox has moved out and I only have a PS2. My options are to either buy the PS2 version of 2k3 or wait until I get an Xbox and get that version. Decisions decisions! :D
Brandon Smith

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Brandon,

The graphics are improved. I noticed the difference right away and I am playing on a 27" TV. There seems to be a lot less jaggies than 2K2. I just played a few more games. I was able to pund ot 79 yards on the ground with Ahman Green. I am playing on the Pro level and it is challenging.

-Dean-

Randall Z

Stunt Coordinator
I think I'm leaning towards NFL 2k3, but I was just wondering is the franchise mode in NFL 2k3 multiplayer?

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
...and the same reviewer that gave NFL2k3 9.1s on GCN and XBOX, gives the PS2 version a 9.6!
I think their excuse for that is they are reviewing the games compared to what they think the console is capable of... In other words, they think NFL2k3 PS2 just about maxes out the capabilities of the PS2, but they think they still could have done more with the X-Box.

Are they right? I don't have a clue... But, the X-Box version is still better. It is at least somewhat optimized for the X-Box hardware (480p, DD 5.1, etc.).

mourad

Grip
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...and the same reviewer that gave NFL2k3 9.1s on GCN and XBOX, gives the PS2 version a 9.6!

I think their excuse for that is they are reviewing the games compared to what they think the console is capable of... In other words, they think NFL2k3 PS2 just about maxes out the capabilities of the PS2, but they think they still could have done more with the X-Box.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Assuming that this is their true reeasoning, it's very hard to swallow and doesn't make sense. Assuming I have the choice of buying either version, that score (9.6 vs. 9.1) tells me that the PS2 version is way better. Is that correct? My past experience with games on 2 platforms (with few exceptions) is that the XBox version is always better: 1) Better gaphics (480p), 2) better sound (DD 5.1), 3) Bettr frame rate, 4) extra features sometimes, 5) unlimited storage.

I can understand why Madden 2003 got a higher score on the PS2 vs. XBox since the XBox has less features (no online play), but for NFL 2K3 it doesn't make sense.

In any case, I have NFL Fever 2002 already and it's going to be NFL 2K3 for me this year. XBox Live support is a must for me.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Are they right? I don't have a clue... But, the X-Box version is still better. It is at least somewhat optimized for the X-Box hardware (480p, DD 5.1, etc.).
The PS2 version of 2K3 is 480p as well. :emoji_thumbsup:
The manual tells you how to turn progressive mode on.
BTW, the game sound fantastic in Pro Logic II.
I think I'll be picking up the X-box version though just so I can play online with you guys. :)
-Dean-

JaremyP

Auditioning
The PS2 version of 2K3 is 480p as well.
Really?!? That's incredible. This would be the first released 480p game on the PS2 then.

Most of my friends have PS2's and we're looking to get some online tournaments going. We've been assuming that we'd get Madden, but this could help change to 2k3 now. Is there a true 16:9 widescreen mode in 2k3 as well?

Thanks.

JaremyP

Auditioning
Yeah, but Tekken is still a bit off before release. NFL 2k3 is out now and that feature, if true, wasn't mentioned or advertised in anything I've read on the games. I really wish these web pages and magazines would get the idea to print this information as part of the general game info in previews and reviews. I sent letters to a bunch of them before making this suggestions.

Ian_Fisher

Stunt Coordinator
Probably a stupid question, but I haven't bought a lot of NFL titles in the past...

The new Seahawks Stadium was completed not too long ago, which leads me to believe that it is possible the the programmers wouldn't have time to include it in the game. Do any of the games coming out have the new Seahawks stadium and their new uniforms?

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
OK, I traded my PS2 copy of 2K3 in for the X-box version just so I could whoop up on GaryP again. :)
The graphics are definitely better on the X-box as is the sound. Load times are way better as is saving. However, I do prefer the PS2 controller button layout over the X-box, but the analog sticks are way better on the X-box. It will take some time for me to get used to the button layout, but I will.
-Dean-

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
OK, is it just me, or is it frikkin' impossible to run with the QB in this game, as compared to last year's? Daunte Culpepper is my QB, and I haven't been able to break out of the pocket for a big (or even a small) run once. I know it's more realistic, but quite maddening. Before this day is out, I'll probably need a new controller, this game pisses me off so badly.

Pete M

Stunt Coordinator
Do any of the games coming out have the new Seahawks stadium and their new uniforms?
The screen shots I have seen from 2K3 on review sites have pictures of both the Seahawks and Redskins in their new uniforms. I didn't see any detailed pictures of stadiums, so I'm not sure how closely they resemble the Seahawks, as well as Patriots and Lions new fields.
For an entertaining review of Madden 2003, read The Sports Guy from ESPN Page 2's review today. It's not a technical review, but more from a die-hard sports fan that has played every console football game ever.
Sports Guy at ESPN.com

ChristopherS

Second Unit
All these hands-on reviews are getting irritating. I cannot seem to find NFL 2k3 anywhere. Every retailer I call in my area is saying tomorrow. I did not realize that Ottawa was the hinterlands of video gaming.

Chris

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
For an entertaining review of Madden 2003, read The Sports Guy from ESPN Page 2's review today. It's not a technical review, but more from a die-hard sports fan that has played every console football game ever.
Except the 2K series it seems, which he gives no mention of. Don't get me wrong, Sports Guy is absolutely my favorite writer of any kind, but it's just plain neglectful to get all hyped up over Madden's online capabilities without mentioning that 2K1 did it first two years ago. And he should really be hyping 2K3, since his employer is a licensee.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I'm hoping to pick up a copy of NFL 2K3 for the XBox at EB tonight. I didn't preorder so I hope they still have some.

Brandon_S

Second Unit
Ian,
I just played a quick game against the Seahawks at their new stadium. It is in the game and it looks amazing! I ended up with the PS2 version. So far I think the graphics are much better than in last years PS2 2k2. Good work Sega! Is anyone else here getting the PS2 version and the online adapter? I wanna beat some HTFers! :D
Brandon Smith

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks