What's new

M1/M2 Powered iPad Pro buyers and owners thread (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I learned to cease trying PUBLIC BETAS on OS X and iOS because they tend to be waaay to buggy and a lot of programs stop working or I have issues with phone calls on my iPhone.

I did, however, opt to install the first PB of iPad OS 15 on my iPad last night. Been using it for the past few hours and it seems to be very, very stable.

The new OS is pretty damned good. I was immediately able to rearrange my widgets across several screens which was very nice. Even better, extremely intuitive split-screen where I can work on two different apps at the same time — particularly useful when doing finance work.

Also noticed that Apple Mail prompts you to select an optional privacy mode that stops senders from being able to track the emails they send.

While I am careful to recommend the installation of a PB to anyone, I can say at the moment, everything seems to be working well on this end. Should I run into any problems, I will report back in this thread.

Of course, you should backup your iPad to iCloud before installing this beta.

FOUND ISSUES

* Some folders I created under iPad OS 14 have been deleted during the upgrade, leaving apps scattered across my screen. I have to recreate a few of the lost folders.

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
DF6E5188-0EA3-4C75-BA0B-0B88CF677A79.png

Here is a screenshot of my iPad M1 12.9” with iPad OS 15

Somehow, Sam Posten’s name is all over the place.

Really, really love this operating system. You can see how cool my widgets look alongside my first page of apps.

Everything seems to be working quite well. A few bugs including Mail crashing once or twice and a period of time where the Magic Keyboard will not delete emails (with the delete button) and then suddenly it works again.

Nothing major, though.

I do want to say, I am using my 16” MBP less and less these days. This iPad has become my primary computing device and it’s a lot more fun to use when considering I don’t have this bohemeth laptop pouring out massive heat across my legs.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have a lot of watching to do. I’ll hit these tomorrow. Thanks for the videos.

Still using my iPad far more than my 16” MBP

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
So, for anyone considering trying out the Public Beta, which at this point, has been doing quite well on my system…

I was struggling with an issue for the past few days where Safari would just crawl when going from site to site.

Something was slowing down my browser connection. It was becoming horribly bottlenecked.

Someone on another Mac forum suggested it could be PRIVATE RELAY. This is the extra line of defense that hides your IP address that you can opt into when setting up your iPad under iOS 15, which I did.

It seems that PRIVATE RELAY is just too slow at this point and is the cause of bringing my connection to its knees.

I turned it off, and now Safari is screamingly fast as I navigate from one site to another.

Just a “heads up” to disable this feature until it actually gets improved by Apple.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I’m running the beta vicariously through you! 😆

I would just install it. Really, it’s running pretty well. A few minor crashes here and there.

Or, as Sam intends to do, just wait for PB2 which should be released very soon!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’ve considered the iOS and iPad betas this year. I’ve heard they’ve been solid. But ultimately I’m not interested in taking on that extra risk of unstable software, especially with business travel happening again. Plus, everything I’ve heard about the lousy new safari makes me want to wait and hope apple fixes it for actual release.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I’ve considered the iOS and iPad betas this year. I’ve heard they’ve been solid. But ultimately I’m not interested in taking on that extra risk of unstable software, especially with business travel happening again. Plus, everything I’ve heard about the lousy new safari makes me want to wait and hope apple fixes it for actual release.

Two things…

Firstly, I would definitely be afraid of iOS betas over iPad. For the past few years I have installed betas on my iPhone and have had issues. Most come with CARPLAY where some of the music services I subscribe to (such as Qobuz) have not been able to update their app to work with the new version and usually don’t until just after the final release. The iPhone is way too important to fool around with.

I feel the same about OS X betas. Too much software that stops working as the developers have not yet been able to catch up to the new system.

iPad OS seems to be different. It’s running very well and I love the new features. Which brings me to my next point…

Safari. I actually like the new Safari. It places all your open tabs across the top of the browser and gets rid of the clutter. At first I was a little apprehensive about it, but now I find it very convenient to access the open tabs and quickly go from one site to another and back again. I realize it’s not for everyone, but strangely it works pretty well. I don’t know what Apple is going to do to fix it as I believe this was their original intent from what they showed off at WWDC.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Not sure I agree with all of this but it’s well considered.

Not sure I agree with all of this but it’s well considered.

I have gone back-and-forth with my opinions on this. There was a point a few weeks ago where I actually thought Apple would migrate from a MacBook Pro to making the iPads the all-in-one touchscreen computer running OS X.

However, it’s more and more apparent that is not Apple’s goal. It seems clear to me that Apple wants two separate devices — and quite frankly, it would be stupid for them to kill off the additional revenue stream they are getting from both hardware options.

I have to again apologize to you, @Sam Posten. I railed against the iPad being flawed when compared to a laptop or desktop. Now three weeks post purchase, I am using my iPad exclusively. The 16” MacBook Pro has been moved to my upstairs office, connected to my ultra wide desktop monitor, and only used on occasion. All the daily work I need to do is done on the iPad.

There are things about Mac OS X I find more convenient. I have software that creates drawers that move in and out from the side panel that I can store documents that I need quick access to. I like the fact I can just drag files and create quick folders on the desktop. For me, OS X is the ultimate experience and if I had to choose between it and iOS, I would always go with the former.

That being said, the iPad is the perfect device to travel with. I would pick it over the AIR any day. It’s lighter, more portable, and you really get the best of both worlds when it comes to computing (with the Magic Keyboard) and having a touch screen.

So, bottom line is that as much as I would like to have OS X running on the iPad, I can’t see that ever happening and quite frankly, I am fine with that.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Can finally use iPad as total computer replacement ;)

That's pretty wild. Not sure what use anyone would have for Windows 3.1 but having an emulator on an iPad is pretty significant.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Too soon to give any real in depth review but my 13" M1 MBP from work and am setting it up (I'm actually posting this from it :P). 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD. I will download Logic Pro onto it later and see how that performs compared to my 2019 nearly maxed out 16" Intel MBP.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Too soon to give any real in depth review but my 13" M1 MBP from work and am setting it up (I'm actually posting this from it :P). 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD. I will download Logic Pro onto it later and see how that performs compared to my 2019 nearly maxed out 16" Intel MBP.

Congrats on your new toy, Carlo! Keep us posted.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Holy crow I just downloaded Chrome for Mac M1 chip (nice that they give you an option). How bloated Chrome has become, it was nearly half a gig big just for the standard installer, no plugins or add-ons.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This post is called Magic Keyboard buyer's remorse

I am not a huge iJustine fan, but I was interested to see if there were some iPad OS 15 Public Beta features that perhaps I was missing.

At the start of the video, Justine talks about a new keyboard from Logitech

Now, although I like the design of the Magic Keyboard and the way the iPad hangs in mid-air, I think Logitech ultimately has blown away Apple's keyboard with added function keys.

I am really tired of not being able to adjust brightness or raise the volume of my iPad through the keyboard. I am not certain why Apple omitted function keys but Logitech certainly thought of adding them as well as increasing the size of the trackpad.

The only two cons I have picked up from the Amazon reviews are that one, it is not as stable using on your lap as the Magic Keyboard is. That I could surmise right off the bat from looking at the product photo. I am not a fan of the kickstand mode. Also, no passthrough USB-C power outlet.

If I were within my return period I would return the Apple product for the Logitech one.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks