What's new

WWDC 2012 Official Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Minor clarification on the previous Macrumors post: apparently Apple spokeperson clarified that statement of "later next year" applied only to the Mac Pro, not the iMac. No further clarification or comment.
I'm taking that to mean a new iMac relatively soon (over the summer). It's overdue for a refresh but Apple had been regularly updating that product line, unlike the Mac Pro. If it's of sufficient power I may be able to go with that + internal SSD + external Thunderbolt RAID for data security and speed instead of waiting for another Mac Pro.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Carlo Medina said:
... If it's of sufficient power I may be able to go with that + internal SSD + external Thunderbolt RAID for data security and speed instead of waiting for another Mac Pro.
The iMacs stopped being an low-powered, entry-level stepchild some time ago. These are some pretty powerful machines, especially the 27" version. Unless you are doing work that you know will use all the extra cores and RAM available in a Mac Pro, you should be happy with an iMac.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Craig S /t/321426/wwdc-2012-official-discussion-thread/120#post_3937932

The iMacs stopped being an low-powered, entry-level stepchild some time ago. These are some pretty powerful machines, especially the 27" version. Unless you are doing work that you know will use all the extra cores and RAM available in a Mac Pro, you should be happy with an iMac.
iMacs are a good computer for the home user and many professionals. And with the price-premium on Xeons compared to the "consumer" line, they seem like a bad tradeoff in price/performance for all but the most diehard computer enthusiasts (though as an engineering workstation, I only look on with envy). The biggest benefit I see is the upgradability. But for my needs, it still doesn't balance out the cost.

But this new MBP? I'm really envious of the USB3. USB2 is too slow and CPU intensive in the age of terabyte drives. And a 512 GB SSD drive? Oh...my heart melts with lust. And if someone could Red-Blinky-Thing me on the news of RetinaDisplay? I don't need to know that. (sigh)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I run Logic Pro and Pro Tools which do use quite a lot of CPU power. But more importantly, they should really be on their own drives, not installed with other software like Office, Chrome, etc. There was a recent Pro Tools 10 build (I think 10.1.2, I bought it at 10.2) which apparently sometimes crashed on Macs with Chrome installed (didn't always crash for everyone, but for those who experienced the problem it happened constantly).
Avid especially is really slow to qualify new OSX builds so the drive that PT/Logic are on is often 1-2 builds behind the most recent version of OSX.
What would have been nice with the Pro would be to have four 2TB hard drives in mirror RAID setups, one for my "real" Mac where I do work, image and video editing, etc, and one for my music setup. Wouldn't have required external RAID array like I will have to have with an iMac.
I have no doubts about the power of the Sandy Bridge (and likely the Ivy Bridge CPU they'll use in the iMac refresh) CPU. And 16GB of RAM is enough for the near future (though once PT becomes 64-bit in the next revision I'll probably be sorry I wrote that). But I gotta figure out if there's a huge price difference between an entry level Mac Pro + Cinema Display + three 2TB HDs versus a top-of-the-line 27" iMac + 4x2TB Promise Thunderbolt RAID external enclosure once the new versions come out.
And my next PC and laptop absolutely need to have USB3 (and preferably Thunderbolt).

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Well, it hasn't quite gone so hot with the most recent update to non-Thunderbolt Macbook Pros..

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57451440-263/thunderbolt-update-plaguing-macbook-pros-with-kernel-panics/

Following the announcement of Apple's Thunderbolt Ethernet and FireWire adapters to accompany its latest MacBook Pro and MacBook Air offerings, Apple issued a small software update for existing computers that will allow them to properly use Apple's new adapters. Apple made this update available via Software Update so many would automatically install it on their systems, but unfortunately for many people this update has resulted in kernel panics and the inability to boot their systems.

In some cases, at startup the system will appear to boot normally but then issue a gray screen with the instructions to hold the power button to reboot the system, indicating a kernel panic. At other times, the system will simply display an "international no" symbol and not proceed with the boot process. For those experiencing kernel panics, the following text may be seen across the screen indicating a fault in the driver:

Advice: Hold off on grabbing the update is your easiest way; there is nothing pressing in it at this moment.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Wow that was fast! Tell us more! TTIUWP!
Macworld subjective impressions:
http://www.macworld.com/article/1167249/answers_to_your_retina_macbook_pro_questions.html

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Awesome Ron, looking forward to your impressions!
Good thing you maxed out your machine, because iFixit has dubbed it "the least repairable laptop we've ever taken apart". RAM is soldered onto the board and the SSD connector is different than all other Apple laptop models (though OWC I'm sure will find a way to sell a compatible SSD model). They even have proprietary screws to prevent people from accessing the internals. This machine, unlike previous Macbook Pros, is apparently not to be taken apart by the user. Even my 2010 MBP had at least instructions on how to replace RAM and HD in the official Apple Manual (which I take to mean as it doesn't invalidate the warranty).
That said, while the "tweaker" in me is sad that it's hard to upgrade the internals, I completely understand the need to do what Apple did in order to bring the weight and size down but keep the computing power high.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Ronald Epstein said:
My new Macbook Pro arrived today.
Congrats! Tell us what you think!
I wanted to upgrade my father's aging Mac mini to the latest version with the optical drive, which is the same 2010 model that I have. Apple refurbs restocked yesterday, and I pulled the trigger. I should have it Monday.
Refurbs come with the full Apple warranty, and qualify for AppleCare, which I also got. Next, I am maxing out the memory for $43 / 8 gig (an amazing price).
The refurbs are already out of stock.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I bought a I-Mac earlier this year, and I was trying to decide if it would be worth it to sell it and pick up one of the new Macbook Pro's with the Retina.
But I still like having the Mac Destop, I'mj not sure if I'm ready to Use a Laptop as a Desktop just yet. Although it definitely looks like that is what Apple is wanting you to do and the direction they are moving to . The new Pro's are really nice but really $3000 for a laptop, however nice is crazy. Since my PC is getting kinda long in the tooth I might just build a new PC box should cost me half that. And I guess my New Ipad has really replaced most of my needs for carrying a laptop around

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Congrats Ron, I look forward to hearing your impressions!
I'm looking at the same MBP to replace my aging G5. As far as a laptop replacing a desktop, well, I'm doing that now with my old 2009 17" MacBook Pro since my G5's liquid cooling system has sprung a leak. Plus I need an intel Mac to run Bootcamp.
I would love to have a Mac Pro as I truly need the multi cores for my demandng CAD work. But I am really curious if this new MacBook Pro will be powerful enough to handle the work as effortlessly as a Mac Pro can. It should certainly blow away my 2009 MacBook Pro that only has 2 cores.

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
I know it has been mentioned that the new MP will be out next year, but man I hope that isn't the case and they bring it out much sooner than that.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I think I read somewhere (and someone who is more technical than I am can correct) that a big reason the MPs weren't updated, and are being held off until next year, is that the current Xeon chipsets (still on Sandy Bridge not yet on the next gen Ivy Bridge like their desktop counterparts) do not natively support Thunderbolt. That would explain a lot. Ever since moving to Intel, Apple is constrained by what Intel releases (though they do get sometimes early access).

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Well I suppose that would explain why there is no Thunderbolt and possibly USB 3, but it doesn't really explain why there hasn't been any updates. They could have moved to Sandy Bridge and simply explained that the chipsets don't support those other features so that is the best they could do. They certainly could have updated the video card selection.

-Keith

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
DaveF said:
But this new MBP? I'm really envious of the USB3. USB2 is too slow and CPU intensive in the age of terabyte drives. And a 512 GB SSD drive? Oh...my heart melts with lust. And if someone could Red-Blinky-Thing me on the news of RetinaDisplay? I don't need to know that. (sigh)
You do realize that spec-bumped non-Retina 13" and 15" MacBook Pros are available, right? They gained an upgrade to USB 3.0 while keeping the Firewire 800 and Gigabit Ethernet ports and audio line input.. The base configurations don't include a 512 GB SSD, but you could custom-order one from Apple or install an aftermarket SSD.
True, the MBP with Retina Display has that Retina Display, and two Thunderbolt ports, and a HDMI port, and handles two external monitors. And weighs about the same as a regular 13" MBP. Decisions, decisions…
It's part of a secret Apple plot to make you empty your bank account by collecting notebooks the same way that Imelda Marcos collected shoes.
:)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I went to the Apple Store today to check out the new MacBook Pros. I am used to my 2009 17" MacBook Pro's size, so I wanted to see what a 15" screen looked like. I do CAD work, so I wanted to see if the screen would be too small.
That said, I was very impressed with the new Retina display model. It is thin! Really thin, the palm rest area is so low compared to my MBP. I liked that. The weight was very nice. I looked at the screen by looking at the stock photos in iPhoto and watched a bit of Toy Story. It's a nice looking screen, certainly vivid. Should be very nice for what I do Photoshop work and the photorealistic renderings. But I think I'll have to have a new Thunderbolt display to go with it. So it seems almost a waste to have Retina. Shoot, I should have looked for the control panel to resize the screen resolution to see how it looked all maxed out. It must have been set to a mid level setting which is probably why it didn't seem that eye popping impressive.
It's a nice machine!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Keith Plucker said:
Well I suppose that would explain why there is no Thunderbolt and possibly USB 3, but it doesn't really explain why there hasn't been any updates. They could have moved to Sandy Bridge and simply explained that the chipsets don't support those other features so that is the best they could do. They certainly could have updated the video card selection.
-Keith
I agree, and I'm not defending Apple (being one who is PO'd at not being able to buy a new Mac Pro). But putting myself in "their shoes" they were probably thinking that the 2010 Mac Pros are still some pretty powerful machines today, and rather than spend time and money doing a "medium" upgrade, only to have a revolutionary upgrade in 2013 didn't make financial sense for a product that admittedly comprises significantly less than 1% of their sales. I think they took a black eye on this by slapping a "new" sticker on the 2012 upgrade which really angered people. I think if they just updated their CPU options and added a graphics card option, but not labeled it new, people would have come from the other direction saying "hey, it's not labeled as new but did you notice that Apple put slightly updated CPUs and knocked down the prices for the Mac Pro?"
That said, if the iMac update is compelling and powerful, I may find myself buying that and an external RAID tower and calling it a day.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks