What's new

WWDC 2012 Official Discussion Thread (2 Viewers)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The only tiny bit of buyer's remorse I have is paying over
$200 to go from 2.6ghz to 2.7ghz.

Honestly, is there going to be a difference in speed that
anyone will notice?
Still, I went for the upgrade.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Ron - normally with just 100MHz speed increase you probably wouldn't feel a difference. However I think that CPU also has a larger cache (6MB vs 8MB) so the answer is...maybe? ;)
I know you do a lot more CPU intensive tasks than the average user. I'm thinking that extra speed plus cache size is not a bad investment. The "Apple Tax" isn't even that bad on it because at launch the price difference between the chips was $190.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
dmiller68 said:
My Macbook Air has a removable bottom so I assumed I could upgrade it. I haven't opened it up though. :)
You can upgrade the SSD, but the RAM is soldered to the motherboard and can not be upgraded.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
More hope for a better update for desktops than what we got:
Update: A MacRumors reader writes in to share an email he received from Apple CEO Tim Cook after he asked about the future of the Mac Pro:
Our pro customers are really important to us...don't worry as we're working on something really great for later next year.
Of course we can't always trust these types of reports, but it does line up nicely with Pogue's source. Maybe I'll continue to save for the Mac Pro update and spend a little bit to upgrade my MBP to an SSD and buy that OWC kit to use the built-in HD as a second internal drive (jettisoning the optical drive). "Later next year" though...I'm hoping he doesn't mean "late next year" but rather "later...next year" but as early as 1Q. They have released Mac Pros in Q1 before.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Carlo Medina said:
More hope for a better update for desktops than what we got:
Update: A MacRumors reader writes in to share an email he received from Apple CEO Tim Cook after he asked about the future of the Mac Pro:
Our pro customers are really important to us...don't worry as we're working on something really great for later next year.
Of course we can't always trust these types of reports, but it does line up nicely with Pogue's source.
I wouldn't trust anything an Apple executive would tell David Pogue. He's essentially been blackballed by Apple since the NY Times cut the attack dogs loose in the Foxconn piece.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Whats the word on what features from ios6 will be supported on older hardware? Will turn by turn work on my iphine 4?
Glad to hear about Facebook integration. I don't use Twitter to me but I'm on the Facebook.
Hoping this isn't a device crushing upgrade like the past two have been on older phones. I'm not poised to upgrade his fall.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I tend to agree; the Macbooks were nice touches, some cool thigns.. a few issues but no big.. but the MacPro is a joke.. it's using video cards that are 2.5 generations behind, no USB3, no Thunderbolt, etc.. I mean, it's like they just slapped new chips in and called it good.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Wow. My Macbook Pro shipped and will be
here Friday. Much faster than I expected.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
One thing in the list on IOS6 that I've missed badly is this: multiple signatures. This feature is something that has been with Blackberry & WP forever.. and is a killer that it doesn't work on iPhone. I keep my work account on my phone, along with a personal one. I really don't like my personal email going out with

XYZ
(my corp signature block)

Even worse when you have more then 1 company you rep, and you need to occasionally send out email as [email protected]

That's a very welcome change..

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Ronald Epstein said:
Wow.  My Macbook Pro shipped and will be 
here Friday.  Much faster than I expected.
My Smart Case will be here tomorrow. It would have been 2-3 days more if I had it engraved.
Now if they would just process my iOS Developer Membership so I can get my hands on the iOS 6 beta!

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
How's that song go? Waiting is the hardest part...
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/12/apple-spokesperson-confirms-new-mac-pro-and-imac-designs-likely-coming-in-2013/
Forbes now follows up with additional corroboration of both Mac Pro and iMac updates coming down the road, with the updates likely appearing next year. The information was provided directly by an Apple spokesperson.
An Apple spokesman just told me that new models and new designs of the Mac Pro, as well as the iMac desktop, are in the works and will likely be released in 2013. That confirms what New York Times columnist David Pogue said yesterday, citing an unnamed Apple executive, about Apple’s commitment to its desktop computers.
There was considerable disappointment from Apple's professional workstation users yesterday when Apple introduced only a very minor update to the Mac Pro, with Apple even taking the unusual step of removing the "New" designation on the Mac Pro in its online store today.
In light of the disappointing update with processors that are still several years old, we have tweaked our Buyer's Guide recommendations to suggest that users able to hold off until next year for a more significant update do so instead of purchasing the just-updated but still outdated Mac Pro models.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks