What's new

M1 powered 24” iMac (2021) buyers and owners thread (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Don’t know what the issue is. Time Machine has always been a CPU and Disk hog, and always slow things way down on every mac I’ve used it on. I assumed it’s a USB and spinning disc issue that maybe I can solve with SSD and/or FireWire or maybe “real” USB-C (although I don’t know what would be not-real about the current drive’s USB3 USB-C connection).

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Ever since I switched Time Machine to use a NAS folder for backups, I don't even notice when it runs. When I had it backing up to a directly attached HDD it was so bad I had to limit it to only running twice a day. I've never tried backing up to a directly attached SSD, though.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’m going to check into USB C SSD prices. Will also look at Time Machine Editor. Though that defeats some of the benefits of TM.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Stacy’s new 24” iMac has arrived. It continued to amaze me that apple allows fedex to leave such an expensive package to be left without a signature.

I can use migration assistant to transfer from the old Mac to the new Mac using the old Mac or using a time machine backup. I have both. Is one better than the other? Is it important to bring the old Mac up to the latest os it can support?

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Can any one recommend a good usb c hub that will charge usb 2.x devices? Maybe even an old iPad? Preferably in the $20’s but willing to go to the $30’s.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Stacy’s new 24” iMac has arrived. It continued to amaze me that apple allows fedex to leave such an expensive package to be left without a signature.

I can use migration assistant to transfer from the old Mac to the new Mac using the old Mac or using a time machine backup. I have both. Is one better than the other? Is it important to bring the old Mac up to the latest os it can support?
I did the old Mac to new Mac transfer and it went very easily. Only thing it didn’t do is transfer a Microsoft license. I guess I can’t because the software isn’t uninstalled on the old Mac.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Can any one recommend a good usb c hub that will charge usb 2.x devices? Maybe even an old iPad? Preferably in the $20’s but willing to go to the $30’s.

I use an expensive Caldigit hub. I would suspect a simple Amazon search of hubs with overwhelmingly positive reviews will get you the results you want.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I just bought one iMac 24 inches M1 as the state I live in waived sales taxes last weekend. My iMac 21.5 in I5 processor was 12 years old slower than a Sunday driver too lol. Any options for an external optical drive? I will need one

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I received mine last week and Fed Ex e mailed me indicating that Best Buy had instructed them to get my signature. I wonder why Apple doesn’t require it if you buy direct. Doesn’t make sense

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks