What's new

M1 powered 24” iMac (2021) buyers and owners thread (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Yes, though I’ve never heard it stated that way. :lol:
Oh. The way I read your post it made it sound like you were buying from Amazon, not Apple.com

If Apple is telling you your BTO won’t ship till mid June that makes me think there will be a product refresh between now and then. Say at WWDC

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
With ads blocked what you posted shows as an Amazon link Johnny. That’s why I’m confused

C243EF5F-D4D8-47E3-9958-18B707C538E7.jpeg

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
One of my besties works at the one on Chenal and got me started calling it that a few years ago.
You mean I know some online who knows someone who works at the apple store? Maybe that and $5 will get me a latte at Starbucks. ;)
Oh. The way I read your post it made it sound like you were buying from Amazon, not Apple.com

If Apple is telling you your BTO won’t ship till mid June that makes me think there will be a product refresh between now and then. Say at WWDC
Sorry about the confusion. I always say “read what I’m thinking, not what I wrote.” :lol:

BTW, should I expect that external Samsung SSD work on the new iMac?

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
So I just ordered the mid-level Mac for Stacy (yellow per her request). 256 gb storage, 16 gb memory, keyboard with Touch ID and keypad. Didn’t get apple care yet. According to apple I’ve got 60 days to add it. We’ve been backing up her old mac to this external SSD, it will work on the new mac, right?

It delivers June 13-27. Seems odd they have to charge sales tax immediately.

That’s technically an internal SSD. What kind of cable do you have for it? You’d need a USB-C to SATA for that.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
When I ordered the new iMac, I tried to trade-in the 21” iMac. It was only good for recycling. I did a google and it looked like I might be able to sell it for for about $200. It is a 21.5” mid 2011, 2.7 ghz intel core i5, and I upgraded (back when you could) to 24 gb 1333 mhz ddr3 memory and a 1TB SSD internal SATA drive. It has a graphics AMD Radeon HD 6770m 512 mb processor. Does $200 seem like a reasonable price?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
When I ordered the new iMac, I tried to trade-in the 21” iMac. It was only good for recycling. I did a google and it looked like I might be able to sell it for for about $200. It is a 21.5” mid 2011, 2.7 ghz intel core i5, and I upgraded (back when you could) to 24 gb 1333 mhz ddr3 memory and a 1TB SSD internal SATA drive. It has a graphics AMD Radeon HD 6770m 512 mb processor. Does $200 seem like a reasonable price?
$200 for a decade old computer? Take the money and run!

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
$200 for a decade old computer? Take the money and run!
It may be old, but it’s got a lot of storage and memory and runs perfectly. That SSD internal drive isn’t going to fail soon. Someone could buy it for scrap. Hmmm. I wonder if I could put that SSD into my 27”?

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I put it in this. It plugs into a USB port on the iMac.
I didn’t see what you were referring to, but I assume it’s an external enclosure. That should work but you need a USB-C cable or adapter for the new iMac. If it’s only USB 2 you may want to put the drive in a newer USB 3 enclosure for max speed.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I didn’t see what you were referring to, but I assume it’s an external enclosure. That should work but you need a USB-C cable or adapter for the new iMac. If it’s only USB 2 you may want to put the drive in a newer USB 3 enclosure for max speed.
The enclosure is a usb 3 enclosure and dopey me, I forgot to past in the link. Doh!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It may be old, but it’s got a lot of storage and memory and runs perfectly. That SSD internal drive isn’t going to fail soon. Someone could buy it for scrap. Hmmm. I wonder if I could put that SSD into my 27”?
If you can get more than $200 for an eleven year old iMac, more power to you!

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
The enclosure is a usb 3 enclosure and dopey me, I forgot to past in the link. Doh!

At the least you’ll need a USB-C to USB Type A adapter.

Your best bet may be to just get the newer enclosure with a USB-C connector since that’s what the 24” iMac has. The USB 3.1 one may be nominally faster but not much due to the SSD’s SATA III interface being limited to 6 GB/s.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
At the least you’ll need a USB-C to USB Type A adapter.

Your best bet may be to just get the newer enclosure with a USB-C connector since that’s what the 24” iMac has. The USB 3.1 one may be nominally faster but not much due to the SSD’s SATA III interface being limited to 6 GB/s.
Like this one?
Although it looks like it comes with a type c to type b cable. I’d still have to get an adapter or different cable.

This costs more but it has the cable I would need. Haven’t looked at the other specs yet.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Time Machine crushes my wife's M1 iMac. What drive should I buy to fix this?

The TM drive is a WD external drive (7200 rpm 3.5" in a case) connected by USB-C / USB3. I'm surprised it smashes the computer so much -- as bad or worse as it ever did on her ancient intel iMac. The iMac is basically unusable when TM runs: the mouse is jerky and stuttery, Spotlight takes forever to find common aps, etc.

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Time Machine crushes my wife's M1 iMac. What drive should I buy to fix this?

The TM drive is a WD external drive (7200 rpm 3.5" in a case) connected by USB-C / USB3. I'm surprised it smashes the computer so much -- as bad or worse as it ever did on her ancient intel iMac. The iMac is basically unusable when TM runs: the mouse is jerky and stuttery, Spotlight takes forever to find common aps, etc.
We are currently using this SSD on my wife’s current ancient iMac:

I wonder if the problem isn’t an OS bug?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks