What's new

M&K vs. SVS (1 Viewer)

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
I haven't had the opportunity to listen to any SVS subs yet, but I was curious to hear how they stack up to M&K subs.

I currently own and love the Miller & Kriesel MX-100. It has a tremendous output, unfortunetely I don't have a way to test the SPL's, but I am pleased with it and it continues to surprise me.

Are there any SVS subs that are comparible to the MX-100. Just to help the design is push-pull with two 12" inch woofers, one forward facing and one upward facing from the bottom into the cabinet. The replacement fuse size is 4 amps, 120 volt, so I assume the amp is quite powerfull.

If anyone has any insite on this your expertise on the subject would be greatly appreciated, Thank you.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Seth

Don't get upset but M&K typically cannot match internet brands like SVS and Hsu for bang for the buck, or for sheer performance either.

M&K subs are fairly powerful from ~25Hz up, but below that don't have as much output as all but perhaps the new sealed SVS SB-12 Plus. Even the PB-10 will likely outgun the MX-100 from 25 on down. Exceeding the MX-100 across the board means going with the PB-12 NSD and larger.

Check this thread and click on the list:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...light=nousaine

There is no test of the MX-100, but there are test results for the MX-105 and MX-125 MKII ($1200). As you will see, the SVS 20-39 CS outdid both of them and handily outdid the MX-105.

Any of the following SVS will likely outdo the MX-100:

At $600, PB-12NSD, PC 20-39PCi. Or to get virtually an entire extra octace, from 12Hz to 25 Hz, the SVS 16-46 Plus @ $875 has 525 watts, the new 12.3 driver, triple ports, and will give you that entire octave from 12 Hz-25 Hz where your MX-100 is pretty much a ghost.

Since you say that your M&K has tremendous output, overall volume may not be an issue. But, you are certainly missing something in the lowest octave.

timZa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim

I have an SVS pb12+2. where is the low material to take advantage of the extension? seems 99.9% of bass is 25hz and above. i had my sub a couple weeks now and been trying to get it broke in and my $s worth. watch 2 hours of a movie for a few minutes of good bass:frowning:

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
One thing you should be aware of is the M&K model numbers, they aren't sequential. If the model number is higher it is usually a lower model, but not always. The difference between the MX-100 and the MX-105 is a mile, the MX-100 has much more power than the MX-105 for instance.

The M&K MX-125 MKII is more similar to my subwoofer, minus 10 pounds, it weighs 69 pounds and mine weighs close to 80.

If my memory serves me well true sub-bass is the bass that we can't hear, but rather feel, respectively. There are many moments were I can not hear any bass, but can feel it and on a grand level. My room feels it as well because I can heard resonance from closet doors and such. Being that I am still fairly young my hearing should be useful to at least 20hz maybe lower.

I guess I need some equipment to test it out. One thing that may affect the sub's usable output is the room itself it isn't very large.

I would also like to add that I only paid $350 for my M&K, I'm not sure the value gets any better than that.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
There is something else, but of course we still want those lower Hertz.

What about the quickness and attack of SVS? Are they more boomy or accurate.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I can't find any details about the MX-100, so hard to say.

But generally speaking, I don't really look to M&K for high performance bass.

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
SVS subwoofers are extremely accurate. That's one of their best qualities, no boomy bass, clean accurate powerful bass is what you get. :)

Get one of the SVS Plus powered cylinder subwoofers and you'll hear/feel deep bass that you didn't even know was in some movies, especially if you get the 16-46. :)

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Well to buy now there is no need, but in the future when I don't have any neighbors SVS will be on my list of subs to consider.

Last question, are these strictly internet order or are there places that carry them and have them in a showroom?

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Seth=L,

Are you in the US? If so, then there are no showrooms, other than people willing to demo their SVS subs. Speaking of...

Tim,

You PMd me about the get together at my place in October. Are you going to make it?

-Robb

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
No showrooms anywhere. You got a fine value at $350. Still doesn't get the 12Hz-25Hz octave like a 16-46PC Plus will. Age affects high frequency hearing, not low frequency hearing. I can assure you that you are getting next to nothing from 12Hz-18Hz. Your next to last post is confusing. You play loud enough to rattle doors but you can't get something that will cover the bottom octave because of the neighbors?

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
M&K will have higher sound quality bass. Transient speed in the 35-80hz is great in M&K subs. They will not win a dB or depth contest against SVS.

Alan M

Second Unit
"I can assure you that you are getting next to nothing from 12Hz-18Hz. "

Arthur S,

I run an old M&K mx 2000 sub.Testing with a sine wave cd,I not only get output in the 15 to18 hz range ,but output that has authority.

Of course the MX-2000 is no longer made by M&K.One thing I find odd about M&K subs.It seems their older subs,such as the MX-2000,and I believe Seth's 100,dig much deeper then M&K's newer offerings.

Anyone in my part of the world who'd like a demo is welcome to send me a PM.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
What I meant to say was it pressurizes my room. For instance the opening scene to Lord of the Rings there are a ton a sub 20 Hz frequencies in there. There are moments when I can hear walls and other things resonating and feel rumbles and bass, but I can't hear the actual bass. As for my neighbors, if they are home they can hear it, but that doesn't really carry any relovance. I try to only be noisy when they aren't home.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L

That is awesome and weird at the same time. Do you know if that is a cabinet, amp, or woofer thing? I was considering buying some new super fast woofers to replace my own, but if these new woofer limit extension then I would look for new/old stock of the Discover Deep Bass drivers. Also is your 2000 packed with insulation, because mine is so packed that if you take it out you will have to spend some time trying to fit it all back in.

Alan M

Second Unit
Not to sure on your sub Seth.I do know that two of the reasons M&K has moved to newer design subs was because,one ,the amp is huge,and expensive in our old models ,and two,the boxes(mine weighing in at 125 pds) are large and heavy(24"x24"x18").

I was told by M&K that the newer drivers(super fast bass) wouldnt improve performance,but because mine were dead,M&K replaced them with the newer drivers.

Lastly ,yes,mine is stuffed with stuffing :)

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Well even M&K cuts corners now, just sad. And now they are pulling Marketing Trickery on us too. I am quite disturbed. Can't just one company remain completely honest. And I would guess that the lower extension would be due to the cab, and the amp combonation, as they are both quite hefty.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
It's always fun to debate any of the Alans on the forum :).

So Alan, you are saying that Seths MX-100 is comparable to your MX-2000? Might as well say it is comparable to the MX-5000, which I have a full review of. Do you seriously doubt that the SVS 16-46 Plus will not have more output from 12-18 Hz than the MX-100? What kind of output does your MX-2000 have in the 10Hz-14 Hz range?

Chris

Transient speed is a highly complex and debatable subject. Ed Mullen has looked into the matter in some detail, and last I knew he was running dual SVS PB-12 Ultra/2's.

Woe be it for me to point out the potential advantages of one sub over what someone already owns and has allegance to. Pride of ownership is a given.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
In my case I just want to know. Because I have never heard an SVS, I have to base any knowledge on them off you guys. I am trying to be as unbiased as possible here. If fights do sprout because of difference of opinion here I will likely request to have this thread closed or removed, though I don't think this will happen, just letting you guys know.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Seth

Rest easy. Differences of opinion are fine. Debate is fine. I understand that you have not heard an SVS. Certain things are simply not debatable. SVS 16-46 PC Plus in 12Hz tune simply digs deeper than all but a couple of reasonably priced commercial subs. Sound quality will be debated till the end of time.

IMHO, this thread has been quite civil. The Moderators will jump in if they perceive that thing have gotten uncivilized :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks