What's new

Sunfire Subwoofer Junior - vs - Velodyne CHT-12 (1 Viewer)

JohMabe

Stunt Coordinator
What would be your imput on this? I'll use the sub 100% for 2channel music, electronic, trance and house. I need a fast sub, which is better? B&W ASW-600 any good? Or go with M&K? No SVS or HSU please.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
What is the priority , the enclosure size?

I'm just wondering because you should be able to find the 15" cht for about the same price as the Jr...right?

I would look at the cht15 and the JBL s120 as two very good woofs you should be able to audition locally.

Tom V.
SVS

Jay McC

Agent
I spent a lot of time (months) auditioning the Sunfires. Never was impressed.

Might want to check out the Klipsch RW12, they make good musical subs.

My HT dealer almost had me sold on the NHT SW-2Pi which sounded great for music but really dropped the ball for HT. Nice thing about them is the amp is external and i believe one amp can be used to drive 2 subs.

Never did get a good impression from B&W subs for music. Sub was too monotone and i just don't see the point in flipping some switch on the back when i change from music to movies.

You might also want to check out Definitive Powerfield15tl.

All the subs are priced less than $1,000 in my area with the Definitive being the most expensive at $699 list price.

When you demo them make sure you push them hard enough that they drown out the salesman's complaining about the volume.

JohMabe

Stunt Coordinator
Oh, the maker of the SVS himself answering my thread... whoa. I said no to SVS or HSU because I can't import them to Brazil, where I live. A guy did, once, but it took two months to arrive. You guys should find a nice representative here, "http://www.syncrotape.com.br" is a representative for many brands, if you are interested.

I want a subwoofer for music only, I don't wanna see the floor shake, just some nice bass at those hard to get frequencies, with no distortion or boom-boom.

What the heck, if a SVS is the way to go, I might even import it. Is the CS25-31 a good choice?

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi JohMabe,

No reasoning needed...there are a lot of good subwoofer choices out there.

Performance wise, the Velodyne cht15, Paradigm PW2200 and JBL S120 should all be considered. If you can find some of the older models..like the Mirage BPS400, Velodyne FSR15 or FSR18, Velodyne ct150...at a big discount...take a look at those too.

Tom V.
SVS

JohMabe

Stunt Coordinator
I can't find the Velodyne CHT-15...although the CHT-12 and the JBL S120pII are easy to find. Are these better/equal than the Sunfire True Sub MK2? I want good bass for music, can they deliver?

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi JohMabe,

Based on the performance of the above subwoofers when measured by Tom Nousaine and Don Keele...the JBL and sunfire will both outgun the cht-12. I would go with whichever is less expensive (out of the sunfire and jbl) in your area. The music performance of the subwoofer is going to be largely dictated by the placement, calibration, crossover settings, phase settings, ect. In other words...if you take the time to properly setup the subwoofer...any of the above three should perform fine on both film and music for you.

Tom V.
SVS

DavidRM

Auditioning
If you are looking for a fast sub I would seriously look at the new Martin Logan Grotto. If you can spend a little more I would look at the Depth. They are extremely fast and keep up with the fastest transducers in the world. I could not get the Depth or the Descent to bottom out.

JohMabe

Stunt Coordinator
Good tips...so the JBL and the Sunfire are pretty much about the same? The JBL would be at HALF the price of the Sunfire. Same price as the CHT-12 though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks