What's new

M*A*S*H Season 6 (1 Viewer)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
:laugh:

This may be my last Season as I was not a fan of Winchester and Season 7 is the start of the "Preachy Years". Although I haven't got Season 5 yet. I'm still finishing Season 3 with Season 4 awaiting. I'll definately get Season 5 and 6 later and then wait till I finish before deciding on future seasons.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I can’t say how much I’m anticipating this season. Now all the fun starts! I’m glad they tried different things; that’s the secret of their longevity. If they had repeated and repeated the same old formula, it wouldn’t have lasted 11 years.

Coressel

Supporting Actor
Wow, those look pretty good! Except why are they waving goodbye to Henry in the first 2 seasons?

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'll be happy to get this in May, or June or July or whenever. Count me among those that enjoys Winchester, he's a better counter to the antics of Hawkeye and BJ.

I will get through season 8 for sure, but it will be harder once Radar leaves. Of course since I am a completist I'll end up with all of them no doubt.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

i haven't bought any yet, but i've been eagerly waiting for the Winchester 'era' to begin.
Like Casey i feel that he was a better foil, and not as much of a 'cartoonish' caricature as Burns.
the first few seasons with Winchester were 'the golden years' for me, but around 1980 or so they did start to get insufferably preachy (must have been around the time Radar left).

if they haves some deals going on street week, i may be tempted to pick up one or both of the last two seasons.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Count me in for the first Winchester year as well!

In my opinion his arrival kicked-up the quality of the show by at least a magnitude of two. And that's saying a lot since I also throughly enjoyed all the prior seasons too!

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Ouch, that hurts! Accept I don't totally disagree with it, the character of Burns was really annoying, especially his laughing. I'm glad to see that others are fans of 1 Major Charles Emerson Winchester III.

Coressel

Supporting Actor
I agree that Charles was a perfect replacement for Frank, but I find myself more and more being blown away at how brilliant Larry Linville was. It ain't easy playing the jerk, the bad guy, the fool, etc. Frank as well as Henry were characters that were almost as much "Catch-22" as "M*A*S*H."

Chris:L

Supporting Actor
I had a very strong dislike for Frank. He was such a cry baby. Always going over the head of Blake because he wasn't getting his way. I like Blake's quote, "Watch it, Frank. Or I'll write in my report that you don't work and play well with others."

After a while Blake started getting on my nerves. "Henry Blake is a good doctor and a pretty good Joe. As a commanding officer, well, it’s a bit like being on a sinking liner running to the bridge and finding out that the captain is Daffy Duck."

Coressel

Supporting Actor
I see you re-inlisted, Chris:L...

One of my favorite Henry vs. Frank quotes is "One thing that will get you nowhere with me is impersonating my wife!"

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

I agree that he was brilliant, and the fault lies to me with the way the character was written. Frank never got as much character development as the other characters, and that's 1 reason Linville elected to leave the show, he felt he had taken that character as far as he could.

Chris:L

Supporting Actor
Well, by the time we meet Frank Burns in the first season, he's gone as far as he could with developement... you couldn't do anything with the character... what would you have expected them to do?

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
Count me among those who think Frank had become tiresome by Season 6. Winchester reinvigorated the show - I always liked his scenes with Colonel Potter. Although I did like the running gag when Frank and Margaret went in to complain to Colonel Blake about something and Margaret would do all the talking!

Isn't Season 6 when they started that tacky "freeze-frame" at the end of the show?

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

I'm not sure how you figure that they couldn't have done more with the character. How many of the characters are the same in season 1 and their last season on the show? Hell, just look at Hawkeye and his rather dramatic shift in character over the years. The writers just kind of liked where Frank was as a character and didn't feel like they needed to flesh it out anymore, of course all of the other major characters experienced growth and change and he didn't, and its not like they couldn't have found something to do. They could've lightened Frank up a bit, or done other things to change the character, but they left it as was, and that's why Larry Linville opted out of his contract when it came up, because he felt that the character had gone as far as it was going to go.

Maybe the only other major character that didn't experience any sort of growth was Henry Blake. All of the other characters IMO became more than just one dimentional whereas Frank was always the jerk, and Henry was always the nice guy that got walked all over.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks