Lost AC Adapter for Cam corder

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Sanjivnpatel, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Sanjivnpatel

Sanjivnpatel Agent

Hi;

I lost my AC Adpter for JVC Camcorder. Any idea where to get it cheap? JVC website post around $200. Camcorder itslef is only $350. Any website where I can buy it cheap? Thanks.

Sanjiv Patel

2. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

Adapters are fairly pricey as you've found. Two basic options are open for a cheap solution.

1: Some battery stores sell aftermarket chargers (~$35-$100), usually some form of trickle charger that you would just attach the battery to and charge. You would always have to run the camcorder off battery without being able to use the adapter for charging or dubbing.

2: If you can find a local servicer that has a collection of trashed and salvaged units then you might be able to get an adapter fairly cheap. Price would vary with the rarity of the type needed.

If the camcorder is a few years old then one of these might work. If it's only one or two years old then you'll have trouble. It's hard (sometimes impossible) to charge custom Li-Ion batteries without a specific charger and servicers won't have any in their trash bins yet. If it's digital then you may never find an alternative because some manufacturers have no field service on digital models and all of them have to go to the factory for repair so no one has dead units around.

3. Sanjivnpatel

Sanjivnpatel Agent

Thanks Steve. You hit it right. Mine is anew digital camcorder and couldn't find it. I guess I will try on ebay and see if someone is selling. Thanks for the reply.

Sanjiv

4. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Check out www.batterybarn.com and www.ebatts.com . Each site sells batteries and chargers for camcorders and digital cameras. I purchased an external charger that handles batteries for both my Sony MiniDV camcorder and Canon Powershot digital camera at one of these sites.