What's new

Lord Of The Rings, The: The Motion Picture Trilogy (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
Peter Jackson joked about doing that on one of the extended editions commentaries (connaot remember if it was FSHP or TT) A big giant movie was never actually considered.

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit

There's no point really. The disc break's would probably be in the same place they are now. All they would do is remove the subtitles (FOTR,TTT,ROTK) and leave the credits off untill the end of ROTK. Seem's pointless to me.

Cory-C

Grip
Word is that there is not supposed to be any new extras on the discs for fear of 'enraging' previous buyers. However, New Line is well aware that consumers bark is much worse than their bite, and that if there were new extras, a very large portion of the people would indeed triple dip.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Supposedly there is a total of five to five-and-a-half hours of total footage for each film. I wonder if that will ever see the light of day - maybe some kind of "Ultimate" edition.

Clay-F

Stunt Coordinator
Until we get a format change that can handle a 12 hour epic on one disc, having it all rolled into one film is pointless.

I bet that eventually we'll see another cut of the movie come out. It may be 10 years later, but I think it'll happen.....

Once we do go to discs that can handle that much, the'll have an excuse to give us something to upgrade too without risking angering as many people.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Actually, they discussed re-editing the three flicks to put them in chronological order. I don't think he's serious, but the idea came up...

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
There was a mention(By Peter Jackson) in the commentary of The Fellowship of the Ring:EE to redo the gollum CGI to match with Gollum from TTT and ROTK

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This is New Line's biggest cash cow ever!

Expect them to roll with all sorts of new souped
up editions for some time to come.

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor

Just wanted to mention, Colin, that of all the DVD reviews on the net, yours are my favourite. (Especially your review of The English Patient...)

As for new edition of Lord of the Rings, I have no doubt they will happen, but I doubt they will happen SOON. I think the most that will happen in the near future is a bundling of all the extended editions together, perhaps with a new collectable.

George See

Second Unit
If they are going to package all three Extended editions in a nice box/gift set it'd be nice if you could purchase the box seperatly for those of us who already have all the EE's

DanR

Supporting Actor
They can re-package them however they want. After I buy the EE of Return of the King, the next time I buy any optical disc of these films will be in Hi-Def (whenever that happens).

Regards,
Dan

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member

Ron

You're not wrong there ! Especially as they gambled big time and were handsomely rewarded as well.

Very smart move to release a bare bones dvd and ext edition later on. This way nobody is accusing them of milking the releases, instead everyone knows about it and makes their own decision to buy one or the other or both.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
I guess I wonder...what more do people want?

You can purchase the theatrical version of each film in a two-disc set. You can purchase Extended Editions in 4-disc sets.

I have been purchasing both versions of the film on DVD. That means that I already have 12 discs dedicated to the first two parts. By the time I am through, I will have 18 discs.

Really...do we need more than that?

Some sort of all-encompassing carrying case for it all might seem obvious, but those large/bulky cases usually just annoy me because they don't fit into any of my DVD storage shelves...and the discs sometimes aren't "housed" in ways that I feel is proper for everyday use.

Other than missing a commentary track by J.R.R. Tolkien ( ;) ), I am pretty happy with what they have offered.

BrentPollard

Second Unit
There is a 4hr documentary "Lord Of The Rings: The Journey" coming to dvd as well. If it has all new footage I would imagine that there would be not much left other than bloopers to release.;)

Jonny - agreed.

I too have bought both the theatrical and extended versions of both movies out thus far. Having 6 discs for each movie seems like more than enough. I mean, there's already 3 discs dedicated to special features for each film! I can't imagine them giving us more or why people would expect them to...

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
According to the article:

Of course, when HD-DVD takes off, the films "might be revisited", but that's a few years off.

I wonder if this means a different cut, or just the current versions on HD-DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks