What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Warner Bros. Home Entertainment has released The Lord of the Rings Trilogy in a 9-disc set on 4K UHD Blu-ray just in time for holiday gift-giving for the home theater enthusiast.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)

Released: 19 Dec 2001
Rated: PG-13
Runtime: 178 min

Director: Peter Jackson
Genre: Action, Adventure, Drama, Fantasy

Cast: Alan Howard, Noel Appleby, Sean Astin, Sala Baker
Writer(s): J.R.R. Tolkien (novel), Fran Walsh (screenplay), Philippa Boyens (screenplay), Peter Jackson (screenplay)

Plot: A meek Hobbit from the Shire and eight companions set out on a journey to destroy the powerful One Ring and save Middle-earth from the Dark Lord Sauron.

IMDB rating: 8.8
MetaScore: 92

Disc Information...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Thanks for the review, Todd. It's great to read that the transfers are all top notch and consistent across all three films. I'll wait for the inevitable price drop, but this will eventually find its way to my shelf. I love all three films, and don't need the extras.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I’m going to have to wait on these, only because I’m already tapped out due to Christmas (and my son’s birthday next week), but I’m super excited to eventually watching these AND The Hobbit trilogy on 4K! I have no problem keeping my previous releases for the special features.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
I got mine 8:30am at Target ! They had them in the back stock room. I was the first one. :D Here is my set with my custom covers. Much better than those WB covers.
DSC00424.JPG
DSC00425.JPG

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
It appears that nearly all of the special features from the physical media releases are available on the Apple TV app (only on Apple TV devices, though).

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
Unfortunately, Warner has decided for this release to only include these films on 4K UHD Blu-ray – there are no Blu-ray editions included in this set.

I don't understand this comment. I see it too often, everywhere in reviews and posts online. Let's be honest with ourselves: why is it unfortunate that a 4K Blu-ray be released without a standard Blu-ray?

Consumers buy the 4K Blu-ray copy for the 10-bit, HDR, higher resolution scan of the OCN, and wider colour gamut on 4K-capable displays. This is, and always will be, the preferred version. There would be little point ever to watch the inferior HD BT.709 edition with its quality strapped by the rules of an old CRT-based TV system. I can say the same for every other 4K release.

Adding a HD Blu-ray to the package adds cost to the release, more manufacturing resources that puts stress on environment, weight to larger shipping boxes in distributing, and ultimately more waste for the landfill one day. The need for an HD Blu-ray seems to be more of "pack-rat" mentality rather than of necessity. These films were released almost 20 years ago in various DVD and Blu-ray editions and are still available as such. If there's a need for it, they're always in the disount bins!

I appreciate the review. I can't wait to view these.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I don't understand this comment. I see it too often, everywhere in reviews and posts online. Let's be honest with ourselves: why is it unfortunate that a 4K Blu-ray be released without a standard Blu-ray?
I like having a Blu-ray included because I haven't upgraded to 4K yet so I can pick up 9 out of 10 UHD releases and watch the Blu-ray while still future proofing my purchase. If I wanted these movies that badly (I don't), I could still see an upgraded Blu-ray and not have to upgrade my TV and player.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Considering all the work that went into the remastering of these titles, many were hoping that the sets would include remastered Blu-rays, even though most of the time these re-issues do not. Also, some like myself, never upgraded LOTR beyond the 4-disc extended edition DVDs, so having a Blu-ray with bonus features in the same box would have reduced the amount of space taken up on my ever shrinking shelves by allowing me to discard the DVDs.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I just noticed that Movies Anywhere only offers the movies in 4K with Dolby Vision and HDR10, but only 5.1 audio (no Atmos).

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I already have the green tinted Fellowship on BluRay with all the commentaries and documentaries, so I’m OK with just the UHD movie only versions with the colors corrected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks