What's new

Looney Tunes Golden Collection 2 - List of cartoons (1 Viewer)

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
George Feltenstein can say anything he wants, but there are plenty of other cartoons that were shorts that weren't on TV that died a horrible death. People aren't collecting these shorts because they were on before movies which happened decades before they were born. People can't go out and buy these shorts individually like a movie even if they wanted to.

Television is what made these cartoons what they became and turned Looney Tunes into the property that it was.

Yes, they are theatrical shorts, so they are technically films, but that is only a very narrow way to look at them. Things don't have to be cookie cutter in individual categories.

It would be like saying that You Bet Your Life wasn't also a television show because it was originally started on radio.

Paul

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
George Feltenstein can say anything he wants, but there are plenty of other cartoons that were shorts that weren't on TV that died a horrible death. People aren't collecting these shorts because they were on before movies which happened decades before they were born. People can't go out and buy these shorts individually like a movie even if they wanted to.

Television is what made these cartoons what they became and turned Looney Tunes into the property that it was.

Yes, they are theatrical shorts, so they are technically films, but that is only a very narrow way to look at them. Things don't have to be cookie cutter in individual categories.

It would be like saying that You Bet Your Life wasn't also a television show because it was originally started on radio.

Paul

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

Theatrical cartoons were popular way before television, starting with Gertie the Dinosaur maybe. Or maybe even earlier. As a matter of fact, if anything, television killed the theatrical cartoons.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

Theatrical cartoons were popular way before television, starting with Gertie the Dinosaur maybe. Or maybe even earlier. As a matter of fact, if anything, television killed the theatrical cartoons.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I genuinely believe that if it weren't for these shorts being broadcast on television, Looney Tunes would have been long since forgotten decades ago. These 'Golden Collections' surely wouldn't be seeing the light of day. Yes, the Looney Tunes shorts were theatrically released. No one is debating that fact. But let's face it. The reason Looney Tunes remain so popular today, is because generations of young viewers tune in and watch these shorts on television. The re-emergence of the Looney Tunes on tv over the past 50 years is the sole reason why they're still as big today as they were when the shorts were shown theatrically.

In short, it is the medium of television we have to thank for the Looney Tunes long-time success, and the only reason the children of today get to enjoy these cartoons as we did when we were young. I guarantee, through television, the Looney Tunes will continue to thrive in success as generations to come will be able to enjoy these shorts......on none other than.......television (and of course the DVD sets :) ).

We can debate tooth and nail about where this thread belongs, but it's pretty obvious that it can (and should) be recognized in both.

What started as a great thread, celebrating the news of the 2nd release of the Golden Collection, has turned into an unnecessary debate which is beginning to turn ugly. Whether this thread is here, or in Film/Documentary, it won't change the fact that this will be a great set, and I think we all share the same view that it will be a set worth waiting for. So, I ask that we please leave it at that and get back on to the topic at hand.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I genuinely believe that if it weren't for these shorts being broadcast on television, Looney Tunes would have been long since forgotten decades ago. These 'Golden Collections' surely wouldn't be seeing the light of day. Yes, the Looney Tunes shorts were theatrically released. No one is debating that fact. But let's face it. The reason Looney Tunes remain so popular today, is because generations of young viewers tune in and watch these shorts on television. The re-emergence of the Looney Tunes on tv over the past 50 years is the sole reason why they're still as big today as they were when the shorts were shown theatrically.

In short, it is the medium of television we have to thank for the Looney Tunes long-time success, and the only reason the children of today get to enjoy these cartoons as we did when we were young. I guarantee, through television, the Looney Tunes will continue to thrive in success as generations to come will be able to enjoy these shorts......on none other than.......television (and of course the DVD sets :) ).

We can debate tooth and nail about where this thread belongs, but it's pretty obvious that it can (and should) be recognized in both.

What started as a great thread, celebrating the news of the 2nd release of the Golden Collection, has turned into an unnecessary debate which is beginning to turn ugly. Whether this thread is here, or in Film/Documentary, it won't change the fact that this will be a great set, and I think we all share the same view that it will be a set worth waiting for. So, I ask that we please leave it at that and get back on to the topic at hand.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
Just out of curiosity...How many people who read this TV Show forum, also read the Film forum? I rarely ever go over there because I own mostly all the movies I really ever wanted. I'm really more of a TV show fan. TV shows are only now being released to DVD by the bundle. I still say that while everyone knows Looney Tunes, The Little Rascals, and The Three Stooges were all made for the theater, most of their fans today are people who are TV show watchers. I think that news of the Looney Tunes next release is as important to those of us who frequent the TV show forum as it is to those on the film forum. I think this topic belongs in both sections, because, those of us who are strictly TV show fans are also interested in these cartoons, and not everyone who frequents this forum reads the film forum.

Now, that being said...Am I alone here in wanting some of the Honeymousers cartoons to be released in a future Looney Tunes set? Hopefully we'll see some when volume 3 gets released.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
Just out of curiosity...How many people who read this TV Show forum, also read the Film forum? I rarely ever go over there because I own mostly all the movies I really ever wanted. I'm really more of a TV show fan. TV shows are only now being released to DVD by the bundle. I still say that while everyone knows Looney Tunes, The Little Rascals, and The Three Stooges were all made for the theater, most of their fans today are people who are TV show watchers. I think that news of the Looney Tunes next release is as important to those of us who frequent the TV show forum as it is to those on the film forum. I think this topic belongs in both sections, because, those of us who are strictly TV show fans are also interested in these cartoons, and not everyone who frequents this forum reads the film forum.

Now, that being said...Am I alone here in wanting some of the Honeymousers cartoons to be released in a future Looney Tunes set? Hopefully we'll see some when volume 3 gets released.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member

Thats an interesting point but the problem with this is where does this leave alot of old comedy teams, Westerns and other movies done in Series? The Bowery Boys, The East Side Kids, Abbott and Costello, Ma and Pa Kettle, Sherlock Holmes, Charlie Chan, Tarzan, Blondie and many others were "repurposed" for TV as Saturday and Sunday Afternoon shows with new titles such as "Tarzan Theater", Sherlock Holmes Mysteries. Many of these movies were even shown daily as a TV show and the TV stations sometimes added new credits as in The Blondie Movie series. This is the way most of us were exposed to and 1st saw these films. So by the measure we are judging Looney Toons to be TV product also applies to these films series. So that would mean the current review of the Tarzan collection and the Charlie Chan collection should be moved to the TV section.

Most of us that wanted the TV forum created wanted it to seperate this type of stuff.
By definition The Film and Documentary section should be for Any film, short or long that was originally made for and released to the theaters.
The TV Section should be any film or short that was original made for and released on TV.
I think the key on both is the made for part not the released for part.

So Looney Toons, The Three Stooges, Laurel and Hardy Shorts, Little Rascals should all belong in the Film Forum.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member

Thats an interesting point but the problem with this is where does this leave alot of old comedy teams, Westerns and other movies done in Series? The Bowery Boys, The East Side Kids, Abbott and Costello, Ma and Pa Kettle, Sherlock Holmes, Charlie Chan, Tarzan, Blondie and many others were "repurposed" for TV as Saturday and Sunday Afternoon shows with new titles such as "Tarzan Theater", Sherlock Holmes Mysteries. Many of these movies were even shown daily as a TV show and the TV stations sometimes added new credits as in The Blondie Movie series. This is the way most of us were exposed to and 1st saw these films. So by the measure we are judging Looney Toons to be TV product also applies to these films series. So that would mean the current review of the Tarzan collection and the Charlie Chan collection should be moved to the TV section.

Most of us that wanted the TV forum created wanted it to seperate this type of stuff.
By definition The Film and Documentary section should be for Any film, short or long that was originally made for and released to the theaters.
The TV Section should be any film or short that was original made for and released on TV.
I think the key on both is the made for part not the released for part.

So Looney Toons, The Three Stooges, Laurel and Hardy Shorts, Little Rascals should all belong in the Film Forum.

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor

I do, I do... but what I want the most which isn't on this set is "The Mouse That Jack Built" which had Jack Benny and Rochester doing voices.

Paul

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor

I do, I do... but what I want the most which isn't on this set is "The Mouse That Jack Built" which had Jack Benny and Rochester doing voices.

Paul

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

Are you speaking for everyone here, because I couldn't care less about the film section? I like you're use of the word "stuff". As far as I'm concerned, I'll put "stuff" like the original Twilight Zone and Dick Van Dyke Show up against the best "stuff" the movies (or TV for that matter) can ditch out today.

Where exactly does the Film and Documentary section say that discussions of every short ever made belongs in that forum? Should we also forbid threads of "Duel" or "The Godfather Saga" from appearing on the Film and Documentary forum because those movies originally aired on television? Not every program is clear cut over where the discussion for them should take place. I happen to think that more people will read about the Looney Tunes collection on this forum instead of on the Film and Documentary forum. I still don't understand what the big deal is why threads can't exist on both forums.

Now, back on topic. Since we'll be getting "One Froggy Evening" on the next Looney Tunes volume, wouldn't it be great if we got its sequel, Chuck Jones' 1995 "Another Froggy Evening" in the Looney Tunes collection volume 3?

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member

No definately not. A few months back there was a thread asking to have the TV Forum created. There were alot of people in the Forum who pushed for it and the idea was to seperate TV Releases and Theatrical Releases. Thats what I meant and my use of stuff was not meant as anything bad towards TV programs. Sorry you took it that way. The upcoming Tom and Jerry Release is gonna cause an even bigger problem because most of us love the original cartoons made in the 40's, 50's and 60's that were theatrical releases but there was also a new Saturday morning cartoon which ran for 2 or 3 seasons in the late 70's. The one where Tom and Jerry are friends. If I saw a Tom and Jerry post in the TV section I would have to assume it was about this TV show which I don't want so I wouldn't read the thread. What I want are the theatrical cartoons.

Now back to the topic:D
Don't think I've ever seen "Another Froggy Evening" (1995)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member

No definately not. A few months back there was a thread asking to have the TV Forum created. There were alot of people in the Forum who pushed for it and the idea was to seperate TV Releases and Theatrical Releases. Thats what I meant and my use of stuff was not meant as anything bad towards TV programs. Sorry you took it that way. The upcoming Tom and Jerry Release is gonna cause an even bigger problem because most of us love the original cartoons made in the 40's, 50's and 60's that were theatrical releases but there was also a new Saturday morning cartoon which ran for 2 or 3 seasons in the late 70's. The one where Tom and Jerry are friends. If I saw a Tom and Jerry post in the TV section I would have to assume it was about this TV show which I don't want so I wouldn't read the thread. What I want are the theatrical cartoons.

Now back to the topic:D
Don't think I've ever seen "Another Froggy Evening" (1995)

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

Hey Randy, sorry about the confusion. I fully understand what you mean now, and I agree, it's the classic theatrical Tom and Jerry shorts that are the ones I'd want as well. You know, even though they were all made for television, I have a similar problem with the DVD release of both Jonny Quest, and The Jetsons. Anyone who grew up in the 60s and 70s knows they only really did 1 season of these shows (later seasons were done many years later and don't feel at all like the originals), however, they are being marketed as season sets. While I bought season 1 of both shows, I have no interest in any subsequent "seasons", but I guess they will package them this way to try and dupe the unsuspecting viewer who doesn't know any better and thinks there are more episodes as good as the original on future releases.

As far as "Another Froggy Evening" is concerned, I too have never seen it, and am curious. Hopefully it will be included as part of future Looney Tunes collection. :)

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

Hey Randy, sorry about the confusion. I fully understand what you mean now, and I agree, it's the classic theatrical Tom and Jerry shorts that are the ones I'd want as well. You know, even though they were all made for television, I have a similar problem with the DVD release of both Jonny Quest, and The Jetsons. Anyone who grew up in the 60s and 70s knows they only really did 1 season of these shows (later seasons were done many years later and don't feel at all like the originals), however, they are being marketed as season sets. While I bought season 1 of both shows, I have no interest in any subsequent "seasons", but I guess they will package them this way to try and dupe the unsuspecting viewer who doesn't know any better and thinks there are more episodes as good as the original on future releases.

As far as "Another Froggy Evening" is concerned, I too have never seen it, and am curious. Hopefully it will be included as part of future Looney Tunes collection. :)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Carlos
We definately agree on the Season sets of the Hanna Barbera cartoons.
I only want the originals too and not the later "revisited seasons".

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Carlos
We definately agree on the Season sets of the Hanna Barbera cartoons.
I only want the originals too and not the later "revisited seasons".

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
So what about documentaries made for television, such as PBS Frontlines or Ken Burns. TV Shows or Films & Documentaries? :) :) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks