What's new

Looking to upgrade! (1 Viewer)

Champion

Auditioning
Real Name
Brad Sutliff
Currently i have the Klipsch HD300 connected to my Onkyo txsr701 system for my surround sound. But i want to upgrade because im somewhat of an audiophile. The HD300's dont pack enough bass for my personal taste while watching action movies and such. Im thinking of upgrading a pair at a time because im a college student with a small amount of cash. Probably no more than $500 a pair. Can anybody help me pick some high quality speakers for my budget? Thanks!

Champion

Auditioning
Real Name
Brad Sutliff
I feel like my speakers are not full range enough for my taste. im not sure a better sub can make up for the lack of lows my speakers produce. but im not an expert.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You are basing this on a feeling? No hard data to back it up? Any reference speakers that you listened to? That said, the physical size of both the speakers and the sub leave a lot to be desired. Since you are on a budget, why not a kit? http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-640 I run similar speakers except I built my own cabinets. At this sale price, I would have gone with the cabinet option myself just to save time. Last year my wife and I had a chance to audition a pair of speakers costing $55,000 a pair. I didn't forget the decimal in the price. The more expensive speakers sounded better but not that much better. In fact, my theater had much better bass response since but I do like the realistic punch from action movies. I suggest that you buy 3 pair and you will still be under your $500 budget. Use 5 of them to replace your existing Klipsch speakers. Then add a better sub as your budget allows. If you can build enclosures cheaper, then go with a cheaper kit - http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-641 .

Champion

Auditioning
Real Name
Brad Sutliff
Ive thought about building them myself. but how hard it is to do? im not the best with building/hand work, more of an IT guy. think i could do it?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Building cabinets can be difficult if you've never done it before. Not only the assembly but getting the correct internal dimensions. Assembling the full speaker kit isn't difficult at all. Hardest part would be assembling the crossover but there's a video on PE's website showing how to do it. I (with the help of my brother) built a pair of the Tri-Trix tower speakers just for fun last year which are similar to those but the cabinet came bare and un-assembled. Painted them bright red :eek: using automotive laquer and sold them at a flea market for just a little less than what I paid or them. I also added a flat base and top painted black with matching black grills and gold feet. They really drew a crowd.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Champion said:
Ive thought about building them myself. but how hard it is to do? im not the best with building/hand work, more of an IT guy. think i could do it?
I've made my living for almost 20 years in IT but I build speakers and subs as a hobby. Assembling the first kit is no different than building a computer. Yes, there's a little bit of soldering but you are in college. You should be able to find an EE student with a soldering iron somewhere if you don't have one. Building the enclosure adds a new level difficulty though that also requires a set of expensive tools. If you aren't going to keep building speakers or become a handy man around the house then it isn't worth the investment.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
PE also has a nice sale on finished cabinets. These are very nice quality. http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?srchExt=CAT&srchCat=603 But the cabinets on the speaker kits Robert linked to are pretty good as well. I bought a pair off ebay last year without the drivers/crossover. Very solid.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks