What's new

Looking to Upgrade my Pre Amp (1 Viewer)

Christopher_Ham

Stunt Coordinator
I currently have a fully upgraded Lexi DC-1 and feel it is about time to upgrade. I am using Def Tech Bp 8's for mains, Clr 2002 center, and bpvx's for sides and rears. I also have a SVS pb2+. I use my system exclusivley for movies and no music. I have no need for Multi Zone. I have narrowed my choices down to the Krell Showcase, Anthem avm 20, Lexicon Mc-8, and the B&K Ref 50. Which of these processors will give me the best sound for movies and also upgrade capabilities for the future.

Chris

Minesh Patel

Stunt Coordinator
Well, the mega-thread relating to the Anthem AVM-20 and its latest upgrade should tell you about Anthem's committment to upgrades and listening to their customers. I have one and love it - mated to Axiom M60's up front with the SVS PB2+ it does a wonderful job with music.

But honestly, all the pre/pros you mention are stellar performers, but it'll take some very serious listening to find noticeable improvement from your Lexicon. Ask yourself this:

What is it about the Lex you don't like?
What are you looking to improve?
What processing options (e.g. THX, DTS Neo 6, PLII+)?

Good luck & let us know what you decide to buy.

Christopher_Ham

Stunt Coordinator
It is not that I don't like my Dc-1, it is just that it seems to be getting a little long in the tooth. I guess the only thing it is missing for movies is DTS discrete Es. It has THX Ex that is compatible with dts and DD, and it sounds great. Is the ES discrete noticably better than the the matrix EX? If not, I guess for my purpose I would be best suited to keep my DC-1 for another year or so and get a front projector and screen, start upgrading my cables, and get a new DVD player (I would like to pick up a Denon 2900).

Please advise

Chris

Minesh Patel

Stunt Coordinator
Honestly, I haven't played around with it enough to tell one way or another. But if it was me, I'd probably keep the DC1 & use the money on getting a better dvd, projector, & screen. I just bought the Sanyo Z2 & have a Dalite High Power screen on order ~$2400 for both, including delivery. Even projecting on a bedsheet, the projector makes a HUGE impact on the theater aspect of HT, much more so than on a 50" RPTV, which is leaps & bounds better than a 27" CRT.

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
I'll echo Minesh, for movies the sound quality of your DC-1 is already very close to the pre-pros you listed. Unless there is a specific feature you feel you must have, the money would probably be better spent somewhere else.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks