What's new

Upgrading Home theater Amps (1 Viewer)

william218

Auditioning
Real Name
William Diaz
I have a Definitive Technology 5.1.2 speaker system with a Denon AVR-X3500H Receiver. My fronts are the BP-6B and my center is the CLR-2002. For more power I first added a Russound P75 Amp for my center.
While researching to add power to my fronts I discovered Emotiva and added the BasX A 300.
I noticed a big difference in power however I am now looking for more detail sound from my home theater system.
Is it worth upgrading to the XPA3 GEN 3 to power my front stage and try to sell my Russound and BasX A 300 Amps?
Will this give me a noticeable difference in power and sound detail for my home theater system?
Or should I keep my BassX A-300 for my fronts and just upgrade the Russound P75?
If so what would be a good upgrade Amp for my center?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Amps can fine tune the sound of speakers, give more dynamics or make them sound a little warmer or less warm, but they don't have much effect on their resolution. Most mass market speakers aren't very highly resolving, and that sounds like what you want. Don't get me wrong, there are highly resolving speakers that are also quite affordable. You need to know where to look. To get what you're looking for, you need new speakers. Fortunately, you can probably get there by just replacing the front three speakers, at least at first.

Highly resolving speakers at reasonble prices are available from ELAC, KEF, B&W & Paradigm, to name a few. Those companies also have much more expensive speakers. The ELAC Debut v.2 speakers are especially good for the price, have great imaging and are highly resolving.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I have added a power amp to my Marantz SR-8012 for the front three channels and am very happy with the results.

20191016_110912.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks